Stella SW 14000 XG (2019) servicing lubes

Have a question regarding an existing Shimano product? Talk directly to an official representative from Shimano!
Busanga
Angler
Angler

Stella SW 14000 XG (2019) servicing lubes

Post by Busanga » Mon Aug 14, 2023 3:12 pm

What is the complete set of Shimano lubes I need to service this reel. Complete strip down service..

Which specific Shimano greases and oil are used for the SW series.

Gears (main and oscillation)
Worm Gear
Line rollers
Main spool shaft
ARB
Manual Bail Friction ring
Bail arm mechanism

Etc

Thanks for any advice and tips on this particular reel.

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Re: Stella SW 14000 XG (2019) servicing lubes

Post by Bantam1 » Tue Aug 15, 2023 5:25 am

If you are not familiar with servicing the Stella I would strongly suggest sending it in for service. There are special tools needed to to remove the drag cover to service the drag washers. I can't remember if you need the special tool to remove the anti reverse bearing on the 14000 or not.

Removing the plug in the body to gain access to the rear protector screw can be difficult. It is easy to push it into the body if you are not familiar with the removal process. Keeping the collar in place during reassembly can also be difficult.

Care must be used when aligning the waterproof seal on top of the anti reverse bearing during reassembly. DO NOT clean the rotor ring, or use any sort of oil on it. There is a special coating used to repel water. It can be damaged if you use any cleaning agents or oil on it. Do not touch it with your bare hands. Use plastic tweezers to handle the ring.

Also it is very easy to damage the screws that hold the drive gear bearing in place. The correct size screwdriver and one of high quality is needed. The Stella is an entirely different level to service correctly. It is not like our other spinning reels when it comes to opening the reel. I just want you to be aware of the difficulty with servicing Stella SW if you are not familiar with them.

Drag washers- ACE 0
Gears- DG 13
Wormshaft- ACE 2
Line Roller- DG18
Friction Ring- Permalub
Spool shaft- no lube needed due to special surface coating for friction reduction
Bail arm- DG16 (light amount)
Anti reverse bearing- No lube. Factory applied and excess will can cause bearing to slip.
Body seal- Friction ring grease
Rear of body under rear protector/worm access plate- Friction ring grease

Busanga
Angler
Angler

Post by Busanga » Sun Aug 20, 2023 12:46 pm

Hi first thank you for your reply really appreciate your advice and comments.

I am a mechanical engineer and I don't find this reel difficult to service at all. No special tools are required for this reel (though I do agree quality tools are needed)

I live in Ghana there are no service centres in this country.

I have all the grease you mentioned so am good to go on that.

Only thing I am confused about is you mention using 'Friction Grease' on the body seal yet you explain not to use Friction grease on the Friction ring.(is permalubed)

What is this Friction grease you are talking off ? Or do you mean a silicone grease used for lubing O rings ?

EDIT ... ah found the Friction grease.. RD10151 - Friction Grease. .

See a break down here of the Stella SW. (Is not me,is a guy in Indonesia servicing reels) . He also has video dismantling the IAR bearing and also I notice he greased the Friction ring... so I am glad you advised me not to on this.

I understand that when servicing the IAR bearing a single drop of light oil should be used to help with anti rusting, but not over do it.

Break down of Stella SW here, no special tools required...

https://youtu.be/t3U09kCr3Us
Last edited by Busanga on Sun Aug 20, 2023 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Busanga
Angler
Angler

Post by Busanga » Sun Aug 20, 2023 1:12 pm

Also you mentioned ACE 0 for drag washers... there is some confusion here

ACE 0 is DG 01 which is used on regular spinning reel drag

https://www.hedgehog-studio.co.jp/phone/product/1624

DG 12 is used on the SW spinning reel drags

https://www.hedgehog-studio.co.jp/phone/product/4034

Also what is difference between DG04 (ACE2) and DG06 for use on wormshaft on stella ? I have the DG06 not 04

Busanga
Angler
Angler

Post by Busanga » Sun Aug 20, 2023 1:52 pm

Found this ....

■SHIMANO genuine grease oil list

Part No.DG01
Part name:Service grease
ACE-0(Old name DA)
Where to use:
Felt (general purpose spinning) drag washer
Double-screw reel carbon washer
Friction ring of spinning reel
Sliding parts of the bale, etc.

Part No.DG04
Part name:Service grease
ACE-2(Old name DC)
Where to use:
Gears for both axes and electric motors (excluding Tiagra)

Part No.DG06
Part name:
Service grease
SHIP(Old name GA)
Where to use:
General-purpose spinning gears and worm shafts
Various handles
Various bearings, A-RBs (excluding Tiagra)

Part No.DG07
Part name:
Service grease
TBM-0
Where to use:
For Tiagra's drive and bearings

Part No.DG09
Part name:
Disc drag grease
Where to use:
For Tiagra's 2-speed drag disc only

Part No.DG12
Part name:
Grease DG-1
Where to use:
SW spinning reel drag washer

Part No.DG13
Part name:
Grease SR-G
Where to use:
SW Spinning Reel Gear / Drive

Part No.DG15
Part name:
Connector grease
Where to use:
Electric reel connector

Part No.DG18
Part name:
Special water repellent grease
Where to use:
Spinning general line roller

Part No.OIL1
Part name:
B-100 oil
Where to use:
Roller clutch (spinning)
Brake pipe / brake ring of centrifugal brake (bait reel other than DC)
Spool shaft (general), bearings (general), etc.

Part No.OIL2
Part name:
SSRO-01 (oil)
Where to use:
Worm shaft (general), bearing (general), etc.
Bait reel spool shaft
Anti-corrosion applications for exterior parts (such as crimped shafts)

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 » Tue Aug 22, 2023 5:29 am

The greases I listed are what we use when we service the Stella in the US. This was also coordinated with our QC engineer while he was here for 4 years. Many tests were completed and 20+ years of my experience went into formulating the best greases to use to provide the best performance and durability. We repair and service more reels in a month than most people will see in a lifetime. Please trust the list I provided for you.

My apologies on the special tool. I forgot the 14000 uses a different drag cover plate than the larger sizes. Just make sure they are torqued correctly upon reassembly. I have seen these screws come loose from hard use and it will cause drag issues. Maybe apply blue Loctite (low strength) to the threads to ensure they do not come loose.

Busanga
Angler
Angler

Post by Busanga » Tue Aug 22, 2023 9:06 am

Thanks Bantam for all the tips. Like I mentioned I have to do everything myself here so all your tips are a Godsend to me.

One more thing. This is a brand new reel never been used except to load with braid line. (I loaded direct to reel manually under tension , not using a spooling machine)

Everything works as it should, perfect line lay, and drag is very smooth as is reel.

However I do notice some up and down AND lateral play in the spool shaft. I checked with spool off and I can wiggle shaft up and down and side to side.

The up and down doesn't worry me so much as I believe this is inherent in a Worm drive system.. but the lateral play ?

Will this not cause binding under heavy load and drag if the shaft can move side to side ?

Is this normal ?

Cheers

Paul

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 » Wed Aug 23, 2023 5:08 am

A little play in the spool shaft is normal. The newest model of the Stella has a special coating on the shaft which reduces the friction amongst some other changes. We call it Infinity Drive. It allows you to turn the handle easier when under a load. The shaft is supported by a bearing on the rotor nut, but the play is normal.

Busanga
Angler
Angler

Post by Busanga » Wed Aug 23, 2023 9:15 am

Good to know..thanks for all the help Bantam. Time to just go out and fish :)

Next will get the 18000HG for popping for the big boys

Cheers

Busanga
Angler
Angler

Post by Busanga » Wed Aug 23, 2023 2:33 pm

You wouldn't happen to know exactly which selection of tools is required.
I mean the standard tools not special tools. I want to order some high quality screwdrivers and torx drivers etc specifically for servicing the Stella SW. Would be easier if I knew the sizes then would order individual high quality units.
Are the Philips (cross head) screws on Stella's actually Japanese spec JIS screws ?

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 » Thu Aug 24, 2023 5:08 am

I use Wiha brand mostly. #1 Phillips, Torx T6, T9 and I think T8. I don't have a 14K in front of me to double check at the moment. You will need a #0 or #00 Phillips for the small screw that is internal for the rear protector. We use a .89mm hex to pull the rubber plug on the body to gain access to the rear protector internal screw. You will need some small tweezers possibly, or precision needle nose pliers that have no ridges inside the jaws. The rotor nut is either 19mm/3/4" or 22mm. Both sizes are used on the Stella SW and I cannot remember which size the 14000 uses.

The body screws use thread lock and they can be very tight when trying to remove them. If you have one that seems like it is too tight do not attempt to use more torque to remove it as it could break. Get a soldering iron and touch it to the screw to heat the thread lock back to a liquid state. You will then be able to remove the screw safely.

That is about all of the help I can give you via a web forum.

Busanga
Angler
Angler

Post by Busanga » Fri Aug 25, 2023 8:02 am

That is fantastic info. Thanks so much for that. That will be all I need to service this reel.

Really really appreciate it

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Fri Aug 25, 2023 1:44 pm

Bantam1 wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2023 5:08 am
I use Wiha brand mostly. #1 Phillips, Torx T6, T9 and I think T8. I don't have a 14K in front of me to double check at the moment. You will need a #0 or #00 Phillips for the small screw that is internal for the rear protector. We use a .89mm hex to pull the rubber plug on the body to gain access to the rear protector internal screw. You will need some small tweezers possibly, or precision needle nose pliers that have no ridges inside the jaws. The rotor nut is either 19mm/3/4" or 22mm. Both sizes are used on the Stella SW and I cannot remember which size the 14000 uses.

The body screws use thread lock and they can be very tight when trying to remove them. If you have one that seems like it is too tight do not attempt to use more torque to remove it as it could break. Get a soldering iron and touch it to the screw to heat the thread lock back to a liquid state. You will then be able to remove the screw safely.

That is about all of the help I can give you via a web forum.
You are the man!!!

Busanga
Angler
Angler

Post by Busanga » Fri Dec 01, 2023 6:00 pm

Hi Bantam. You gave me the following advice regarding servicing the stella sw14k (2019)

DO NOT clean the rotor ring, or use any sort of oil on it. There is a special coating used to repel water. It can be damaged if you use any cleaning agents or oil on it. Do not touch it with your bare hands. Use plastic tweezers to handle the ring.

Can you clarify what you mean by the rotor ring. Bear in mind this is the 2019 model I am looking at.

Thank you for all your help.

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 » Mon Dec 04, 2023 5:14 am

On the schematic it is listed RD19533. It shows the seal and the rotor ring as one part number. We suggest using plastic tweezers to handle both of these parts.