Preventing Spool Corrosion on Stella Reels

Have a question regarding an existing Shimano product? Talk directly to an official representative from Shimano!
mbg1960
Angler
Angler

Preventing Spool Corrosion on Stella Reels

Post by mbg1960 » Mon Nov 06, 2023 1:39 pm

Aloha. I fish exclusively in saltwater. Spools are treated with Superzilla and/or carnuba before spooling on braid/hollow core line. I rinse reels and spools off with freshwater as soon as I return home from every outing. After rinsing with a soft stream from a water hose I let the reel stand for about a 1/2 hour before I shake off any remaining water then dry the reels off with a microfiber towel. I then let the reels air dry for a day or two before putting into the reel covers then into storage containers. Line is removed annually for cleaning or before sending reels for servicing. I'm still getting minor pitting on both the FW and SW spools. What else can be done to prevent this aside from taking off the braid after each outing, too much of a hassle. What does Shimano recommend? Any other tips?

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Preventing Spool Corrosion on Stella Reels

Post by Slazmo » Mon Nov 06, 2023 5:52 pm

Some of my saltwater reels especially the higher LB test lines I soak the line with a salt destroying solution like SX50. This far ok.

Otherwise you could try coating the surfaces with a Ceramic polymer paint treatment.

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 » Tue Nov 07, 2023 5:18 am

Unfortunately it is difficult to remove all of the moisture from the line and corrosion will happen when left on the reel. It's just the nature of using reels in saltwater. It will happen with mono or braided line as it traps the moisture. Salmo suggested ceramic paint. It will help for sure, but its an added cost to do it correctly.

Cerakote for example is a great product. It typically is sprayed and baked on. Every state in the US will have several applicators that can perform this for you. I am unsure of the cost for a spool. I can say I have never seen a spool fail from the small corrosion spots we see from time to time on spool arbors.

mbg1960
Angler
Angler

Post by mbg1960 » Sun Nov 12, 2023 10:29 am

Mahalo Bantam. The corrosion always occurs on the top or bottom of the spools, never on the arbors. I will look into the ceramic coatings available in my area.

mbg1960
Angler
Angler

Post by mbg1960 » Sun Nov 12, 2023 10:34 am

Aloha Slazmo. I take it as you're removing the line from the spool. How often do you do the SX50 treatment?

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Sun Nov 12, 2023 2:43 pm

mbg1960 wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2023 10:34 am
Aloha Slazmo. I take it as you're removing the line from the spool. How often do you do the SX50 treatment?
You can treat the line as it goes onto the spool, it'll continue to protect the spool.

You'd just have to wash out the spool every so often and retreat.

mbg1960
Angler
Angler

Post by mbg1960 » Sun Nov 26, 2023 9:05 pm

Mahalo Slazmo.

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Mon Nov 27, 2023 12:05 am

No wakkas 👌