Ticking Sound-Stradic FM

Have a question regarding an existing Shimano product? Talk directly to an official representative from Shimano!
DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Ticking Sound-Stradic FM

Post by DirtyD64 » Fri Nov 17, 2023 3:42 pm

Just got in a new Stradic FM. The reel is ticking persistently. It is a JDM reel, wondering if I should send it back or something I can do. If you turn the handle hard and fast, the sound stops. The reel feels exceptionally smooth, just has a tick. Seems like the tick happens in the same spot every time, when the line roller passes around the bottom side of the spool. I removed the spool but the tick stays. I cannot isolate where it is coming from, but I did make a 20 something second video. Will try and upload to youtube with the link before long. Thanks anyone for advice.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Ticking Sound-Stradic FM

Post by DirtyD64 » Fri Nov 17, 2023 5:05 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZCYvZiqM5o

Here is the link to a video, hope it is okay to post this. Thanks.

Bronzeye
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bronzeye » Fri Nov 17, 2023 6:49 pm

I just received a JDM Stradic FM (2000 size, 6:1 ratio). It has no ticks, and I can't advise you on that.

I do have a question for anyone with the new Stradic FM: Do you find its startup inertia to be greater than you expected? I sure do on mine. My larger (2500 size), years-old Stradic Ci4+ requires noticeably less effort to get the rotor going. I'm quite surprised about this after looking at a lot of reviews about current Shimano spinning reels and finding multiple commenters saying Shimano's current spinners typically have less startup inertia than comparably-priced Daiwas. (My Tatula 2000 reels have lower inertia than the new FM.)

My other disappointments with the FM are that it does not have a longer-stroke spool than the Tatulas and that I feel slight roughness in the handle knob as it turns on its post (anyone else feeling that?).

This new FM matches very nicely with the rod I bought it for, so I am hoping that it will improve after a short break-in period.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Fri Nov 17, 2023 9:31 pm

Bronzeye wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2023 6:49 pm
I just received a JDM Stradic FM (2000 size, 6:1 ratio). It has no ticks, and I can't advise you on that.

I do have a question for anyone with the new Stradic FM: Do you find its startup inertia to be greater than you expected? I sure do on mine. My larger (2500 size), years-old Stradic Ci4+ requires noticeably less effort to get the rotor going. I'm quite surprised about this after looking at a lot of reviews about current Shimano spinning reels and finding multiple commenters saying Shimano's current spinners typically have less startup inertia than comparably-priced Daiwas. (My Tatula 2000 reels have lower inertia than the new FM.)

My other disappointments with the FM are that it does not have a longer-stroke spool than the Tatulas and that I feel slight roughness in the handle knob as it turns on its post (anyone else feeling that?).

This new FM matches very nicely with the rod I bought it for, so I am hoping that it will improve after a short break-in period.
Takes for sure more start up force to get things moving. For me the FM and FL are about the same. I went ahead and messaged the retailer; they are normally pretty fair. Even if for some reason they don't take it back, it feels smooth elsewhere and I would have a project for the future. First dud I have ever gotten.
I would also consider maybe looking into the Gekka Bijin spinning reel if I don't get the same, but also in a 2000H size.

dennis_rf
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by dennis_rf » Sat Nov 18, 2023 3:07 am

Had the tick in a Stradic FL but only under load, sent it back no problem. Ticks drive me nuts, totally unacceptable to me.

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Sat Nov 18, 2023 5:21 am

Been a few teething accounts of build quality now with the FM already...

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sat Nov 18, 2023 6:51 am

I would be close to keeping it. Took it off the rod last night, me and the wife had been testing it in hand. Occasionally I cannot get the reel to make the tick. Other times, it sounds worse than it does in the video and is very persistent. Wife gets the same results, tick comes and goes.

I will say again though, the reel feels good and tight, very smooth and refined little spinning reel. This reminds me of the tick in my Steez A, and I couldn't take it with that reel and it eventually got sold (even though Tackle Trap actually fixed it). The fear alone of a tick returning mixed with a good offer made me let her go.

For the Stradic, I will hate to remove the braid I just placed on it, just glad it is braid and not fluorocarbon (would be horribly springy to spool, unspool, then spool again). Never had to return a defective product to my most used JDM retailer, only ever returned a wrongly sent modeled Conquest to JLS. At $130, not sure the Stradic will even be worth it on their part after shipping...

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Mon Nov 20, 2023 3:11 am

So the retailer said they would take it back, posted them the youtube video where they could hear it. Said I would get a full refund as soon as I send it, question is now, what do I get?

I really liked the FM, but it is barely different than the FL to me. Hoping if I grab another I go with the 2500SHG and there is no issue...

godshippy
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by godshippy » Tue Jan 23, 2024 9:00 am

You may want to hold out on the FM...I've seen quite a few posts on Instagram from people in Japan that have a broken tooth on one of the aluminum gears (sorry, I don't really know what the parts are called on spinning reels). I thought it was funny that yo could buy an FM cheaper than the FL these days.

Maybe put a little more towards the new Twin Power?

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Tue Jan 23, 2024 10:27 am

Since you mentioned it above, I have and love love love my Gekkabijin X. It has quickly become my favorite eggbeater. I have it on a 2 pc ML rod that stays in the xterra. I've used it extensively, and I've caught some 4-6# fish with it. I have zero complaints, and it is still as smooth as day one. I'm not sure how much better the MX model would be, since it's basically the same reel with an extra bearing or 2. I have the 2000S model, btw. It was well under $100, too.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Wed Jan 24, 2024 3:20 am

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2024 10:27 am
Since you mentioned it above, I have and love love love my Gekkabijin X. It has quickly become my favorite eggbeater. I have it on a 2 pc ML rod that stays in the xterra. I've used it extensively, and I've caught some 4-6# fish with it. I have zero complaints, and it is still as smooth as day one. I'm not sure how much better the MX model would be, since it's basically the same reel with an extra bearing or 2. I have the 2000S model, btw. It was well under $100, too.
I was thinking of the 2023 Gekka Bijin LT 2000S-H. About $170 area. I still never got another Stradic, just worried it will crap out on me. I still will get a Conquest SE when they get in stock, but I am for sure spooked by the new Stradic. If I do get brave enough to try another one, it will be the 2500SHG rather than another 2000 size. I have seen the most gear issues with those sizes rather than the more "regular" sizes.

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 » Wed Jan 24, 2024 5:31 am

I can say we have not had many returns to our repair department or returned from dealers. I strongly suggest sticking with the US/NA models so if there is an issue we can address it. The biggest change for Stradic FM was making it easier to turn the handle under a load. That is carried down from Stella.