Rod Action on Website/Product Guide

Have a question regarding an existing Shimano product? Talk directly to an official representative from Shimano!
DarkShadow
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Rod Action on Website/Product Guide

Post by DarkShadow » Tue Mar 05, 2024 10:34 am

Hey,

Why are there some rods on the website/product guide that have the rod's action as just dashes?

The backstory:

I broke my Cumara Reaction 7'6 ML, which apparently is a f*cking unicorn of a rod, as the length and the parabolic action I can't find anywhere.

Since the Expride B line didn't have the exact action, Shimano was gracious enough to let me pick out any rod in the Expride B line.

The closest one was the EXC72MB. But, in the product guide and the website, the action (and grip length) just had dashes.

After doing some research, there were some online retailers that had the rod rated as a "Moderate" action, which is exactly what I was looking for, as I was trying to replace a light action, long cranking rod. (I throw a ton of 1/4 ounce cranks) but not go with a full glass rod.

Long story short, the rod is extremely fast. It has no moderate action whatsoever.

Does anybody know the 'official' action for this specific model?

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Re: Rod Action on Website/Product Guide

Post by Bantam1 » Wed Mar 06, 2024 5:51 am

Pretty much all of the Expride B models are fast or extra fast actions. The parabolic rods will be the cranking rods and will have the G in the model number. These will be the closest to what you had since the Cumara Reaction rods were all moving bait type rods (cranks, jerkbaits, spinnerbait, etc).

Unfortunately the ML cranking rod is going to be tough to match up as this rod was made with some specific purposes in mind when I did the actions. I made it for small Speed Traps and other smaller cranks. At the time nobody was making a rod with that length and action. It's somewhat niche these days.

DarkShadow
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by DarkShadow » Fri Mar 08, 2024 8:14 am

Bantam1 wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2024 5:51 am
Pretty much all of the Expride B models are fast or extra fast actions. The parabolic rods will be the cranking rods and will have the G in the model number. These will be the closest to what you had since the Cumara Reaction rods were all moving bait type rods (cranks, jerkbaits, spinnerbait, etc).

Unfortunately the ML cranking rod is going to be tough to match up as this rod was made with some specific purposes in mind when I did the actions. I made it for small Speed Traps and other smaller cranks. At the time nobody was making a rod with that length and action. It's somewhat niche these days.
You can say that again, about that rod being niche, which is why of all the rods that I own, this is the one that I knew I wouldn't be able to replace easily.

Also, I think what is happening with that specific Expride model that I received is that because there is no Action defined on the catalog or website, people are confusing the "M" that stands for "Medium" as "Moderate" and are listing that as the action on a few online retailers that I saw.

It's a great rod, but now the search continues for a medium light, 7'6" parabolic rod. I'll even take a 7'2 at this point.

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 » Tue Mar 12, 2024 6:49 am

The closest rods we have for power and action will be Zodias ZDC70MLGA, Curado CDC70MLGA or a touch more power G.Loomis IMX-PRO 903C CBR. The IMX is the only 7'6" model that is close. The 841C is 7' but a true ML cranking rod.