Stradic FL 5000

Have a question regarding an existing Shimano product? Talk directly to an official representative from Shimano!
StriperFun
Angler
Angler

Stradic FL 5000

Post by StriperFun » Sat Mar 23, 2024 12:19 pm

How tight am I supposed to do the sideplate-body screws on this deal. I took this reel apart and put back together and there's a bump or slight knock during the rotation of the handle at the same point in the rotation I'm getting. If the top of the reel is 12 o'clock the knock was at 3 then I realized I mixed up the screws and fixed that and then the knock came back now at about 1. I messed with the tightness of the screws again and the bump was now at 12 it seems like. Also tried moving the drive gear relative to the pinion to see if different meshes changed things. Didn't notice huge difference or maybe any. Funny stuff. Thought I had it fixed for a second but the bump came back after about 20 minutes of fishing.

You feel the bump or knock quite clearly when retrieving a lure it's a lot more subtle when working on the reel on the bench.

Do I need to try to vary the mesh point between the pinion and idle gear?

Forgot to mark the pinion and drive gear but I think that would actually be kind of hard to do on this reel the drive gear comes out with the sideplate when you separate it and it can rotate real easy as it sits in bearing of course.

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Re: Stradic FL 5000

Post by Bantam1 » Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:08 am

I do not have an exact torque spec, but it probably doesn't need to be more than 15 inch pounds based on the side of the screws. The gear will stay in place but you have to push down against it while removing the side cover. I use the back of one of my precision screwdrivers to keep it there.

Things like this are hard to diagnose over the forum. It could be in the drive/pinion, it could be something in the oscillation (worm shaft and/or pawl). It could be the oscillation slider is touching the gear. It could be an alignment issue with the idle gears...could be a few different things. I suggest sending it in for repair. More than likely it will need some parts replaced now.

StriperFun
Angler
Angler

Post by StriperFun » Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:18 am

Thanks Bantam. I had actually opened it just to check for water intrusion as had been fishing in rain didn't notice much seemed in great shape. Well, I guess I'll send it in as per advice.

As a humorous aside I managed to spill the contents of the antireverse all over my work station when attempting to put it in back on the reel. That clip on the bottom will come out if you don't have the AR assembly lined up right and try to put it onto the reel. Then I found a video where a guy cleaned the AR and put it back together then when he put it back on reel did same thing I did and had to start over LOL. Later I took the antireverse out again to try rotating the pinion-drive gear matchup and did the same thing a second time.

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 » Tue Mar 26, 2024 6:00 am

Yes you have to turn the reel upside down to install the A/R bearing. This way it will not come apart. That could be the cause of the noise as well.

The reels are pretty well sealed so rain should not be an issue.

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Tue Mar 26, 2024 4:31 pm

You can install them normally by making a modified fork tool that holds the bottom clutch plate in place and you slot it over the pinion carefully and just slide backwards leaving the clutch in place.