Braid or Mono for Swimbaits? Does it matter

Come share your passion, experiences, and questions for the latest fishing craze to take the Nation... you asked for it, and here it is.. TT's SWIMBAIT FORUM!
SPAZ
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Braid or Mono for Swimbaits? Does it matter

Post by SPAZ » Wed Jul 18, 2007 8:58 am

I was wondering what the preference is for using swimbaits? I would prefer the use of braid so I can fit in more line to my reels but I will go this route only if it is recommended or a wash compared with mono. Thoughts?

SwimbaitJoe
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Braid or Mono for Swimbaits? Does it matter

Post by SwimbaitJoe » Wed Jul 18, 2007 2:46 pm

the simple answer, is it does matter. Due to backlashes braid is best used as for wakebaits and floating swimbaits. when you backlash with mono there is enough stretch in the line to compensate for the stress of a ssuddenstop, but with braid, there is zero stretch and the line snaps. I lost two mattlures babybass and a missionfish on 65 lb powerpro before I figured that out

fishin'vince
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by fishin'vince » Wed Jul 18, 2007 3:04 pm

i used braid almost exclusively this past spring with my swimbaits. it allowed for higher line capacity on a smaller, more comfortable reel and it longer casts. i used 6 feet of fluorocarbon to minimize line visibilty and to absorb the shock of hardcore swimbait fishing. i like the set up a lot. it worked great. on the rare backlash, however; you could feel the very strong jerk of the swimbait being suddenly stopped. on one occassion, my rod and reel flew out of my grip. my hands were wet and i had just applied scent to my swimbait. this made for a very slippery situation. i was lucky enough to snatch my rod and reel before it sank too deep. if you want to use braid, i say do it. it works great especially with a long shock leader. just watch the backlashes and keep your hands dry!

Schuler
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Schuler » Wed Jul 18, 2007 3:56 pm

Use braid, but not powerpro. I use 80 lb braid exclusively for muskie fishing. I had powerpro snap. Tuff-line XP will not. I've been using lures up to 14 oz for years and never had a breakoff with 80 lb tuff xp. Powerpro, stealth, and tuffline plus are a different story.

Lightninrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Lightninrod » Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:48 am

I use 25# test Maxima for the heavier swimbaits and 20# test Seaguar CP fluro for the less heavy(under 3 ounces) swimbaits.

Dan

oregonbassman
Angler
Angler

Post by oregonbassman » Fri Jul 20, 2007 1:32 pm

Lightninrod wrote:I use 25# test Maxima for the heavier swimbaits and 20# test Seaguar CP fluro for the less heavy(under 3 ounces) swimbaits.

Dan
I agree on the above. I use Maxima 25# exclusively. It's never let me down.

Brian

Lubina
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Lubina » Fri Jul 20, 2007 2:04 pm

I use braid a lot but I don't like it for swimbaits, I go with P-Line Evolution 20-25 lbs.

Texas_bullet
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Texas_bullet » Fri Jul 20, 2007 2:17 pm

I recently read a good book on swimbaits. They recommend that you do not tie the line directly, but rather use a good snap to connect to the SB. I launched a relatively light (Grande Bass Mutant creaturebait) into the next area code when the 30 lb braid broke at the tie upon a backlash (really, the line just dug into itself). Glad it wasn't one of my more pricey lures! :roll:

oregonbassman
Angler
Angler

Post by oregonbassman » Fri Jul 20, 2007 2:35 pm

Texas_bullet wrote:I recently read a good book on swimbaits. They recommend that you do not tie the line directly, but rather use a good snap to connect to the SB. I launched a relatively light (Grande Bass Mutant creaturebait) into the next area code when the 30 lb braid broke at the tie upon a backlash (really, the line just dug into itself). Glad it wasn't one of my more pricey lures! :roll:
I've heard about problems with braid digging into itself. I usually tie directly to soft baits and use snaps to heavier wood baits. Maybe Matt can voice in on this?

Brian

T Mike
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by T Mike » Fri Jul 20, 2007 2:49 pm

I like braid but not for swimbaits. I use 20lb Triple Fish X rated for small swimbaits and 25lb for the bigger stuff.

Mike
Dobyns Rods, Lucky Craft, Triple Fish, Bull Shad

davej
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by davej » Fri Jul 20, 2007 9:56 pm

I agree with mike... I have been using the Gama 15lb test on the 6" triple trout (1.5oz) type baits as I feel its just at the cusp before it effects the action and 20lb Gamma on the Wake Bait jr (3.1) oz size baits and 25lb test on the Huddleston and 1-Up 5.0oz + types baits

(disclaimer) I'm fishing clear lakes in NJ where my PB is 7lbs.. Cali, FL, TX etc very well might be a totally different story

Mattlures
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Mattlures » Sat Jul 21, 2007 12:16 am

Its all personal preference. I personaly HATE braid and I will only use a clip on a hardbait. I want as few negative cues as I can. Those big old smart fish can see that clip and they can definaty see braid.

bassmaster_flex
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by bassmaster_flex » Mon Jul 23, 2007 7:44 am

Two days ago, I saw my Mattlures baby bass fly farther than its ever gone. too bad it wasnt attached to my line. 50lb Power Pro.

Im switching back to mono or FC or my swimbaits.

davej
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by davej » Mon Jul 23, 2007 8:03 am

bassmaster_flex wrote:Two days ago, I saw my Mattlures baby bass fly farther than its ever gone. too bad it wasnt attached to my line. 50lb Power Pro.

Was it a knot slip?

bassmaster_flex
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by bassmaster_flex » Tue Jul 24, 2007 6:08 am

davej wrote:
bassmaster_flex wrote:Two days ago, I saw my Mattlures baby bass fly farther than its ever gone. too bad it wasnt attached to my line. 50lb Power Pro.

Was it a knot slip?

Nope. CLean break of the line. Ill still use PP for frogs and slop fishing, but never with my Mattlures again. my brother in law was laughing at me.

Bass-turd. :(