50lb Braid or 20lb Flouro for swim baits?

Come share your passion, experiences, and questions for the latest fishing craze to take the Nation... you asked for it, and here it is.. TT's SWIMBAIT FORUM!
bab33face
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

50lb Braid or 20lb Flouro for swim baits?

Post by bab33face » Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:04 pm

I noticed in the Tackle Tour swim bait testing its either 50lb Suffix performance braid or 20 - 25lb FC.

I'm wondering what everyone else uses for large swim baits such as the baby tool, wake jr, BBZ.

Also if you can tell me how often you've lost a swim bait with each of your lines.

I bought a BBZ and tempted to pick up some wake jr's. I haven't fished with any large swim baits yet because I'm scared of throwing one that never comes back.

I know there is a recent topic, but it still doesn't list how many lost swim baits for each application
T3Forum/viewtopic.php?t=20155

iangler
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: 50lb Braid or 20lb Flouro for swim baits?

Post by iangler » Fri Aug 17, 2007 1:04 pm

I use 25lb FC, and have never lost a swimbait.

bab33face
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by bab33face » Fri Aug 17, 2007 1:43 pm

iangler wrote:I use 25lb FC, and have never lost a swimbait.
What kind of swimbait are you throwing?

SwimbaitJoe
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by SwimbaitJoe » Fri Aug 17, 2007 2:25 pm

I use 25lb flouroclear for hudds and bbz, 17lb for mattlures mission fish and mighty minnow

Lubina
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Lubina » Fri Aug 17, 2007 2:51 pm

This is what I have been using lately. ( I fish stained to brown chocolate waters )
Big rig, Powell H 7.11 with Megadiff 301 and 25 lbs of P-Line Evolution or lighter rig, Okuma MH 7.6 with Daiwa TD-Z BBS and P-Line CX 20 lbs....and yes there is a hole, that will be GD 795 TL MH with Ultradiff 201 and Evolution 17 lbs........

bab33face
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by bab33face » Fri Aug 17, 2007 6:25 pm

SwimbaitJoe wrote:I use 25lb flouroclear for hudds and bbz, 17lb for mattlures mission fish and mighty minnow
Have you thrown any swimbaits on this setup that didn't come back?

iangler
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by iangler » Sat Aug 18, 2007 1:42 pm

bab33face wrote:
iangler wrote:I use 25lb FC, and have never lost a swimbait.
What kind of swimbait are you throwing?
Some smaller Hudds, javallons, buzzbill magnums, jointed claw, and so on. Nothing too big.

SwimbaitJoe
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by SwimbaitJoe » Sat Aug 18, 2007 8:26 pm

bab33face wrote:
SwimbaitJoe wrote:I use 25lb flouroclear for hudds and bbz, 17lb for mattlures mission fish and mighty minnow
Have you thrown any swimbaits on this setup that didn't come back?
I lost one hudd but it was my fault, my knot slipped when a big bass or pike hit it.besides that I had to cut a mattlures perch off that snagged a rope, but that was a different problem. I think my crucials had a lot to do with it because they have a soft tip. Before I got them I used a basspro extreme 7'6" heavy with 65 lb braid and lost three mattlures babybass to backlashes till I figured it was the line.

GO WITH 25 LB flouroclear and you wont be disappointed

SPAZ
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by SPAZ » Sun Aug 19, 2007 3:23 pm

I'm done using braid with swimbaits. I just jacked up my ms slammer(the tail came right off) because of wind knots. The lures are just too heavy to use braid. I will be moving to Fleuro or Mono from here on out.

Sully
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Sully » Sun Aug 19, 2007 4:12 pm

I've had great results with P-line CXX (copolymer) 20 and 25.

Lubina
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Lubina » Sun Aug 19, 2007 6:30 pm

Sully wrote:I've had great results with P-line CXX (copolymer) 20 and 25.
Same here....I used it all last year but Evolution is thinner, less memory and stretch with at least the same abrasion resistance... and for close to the same price

secretweapon
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by secretweapon » Sun Aug 19, 2007 8:59 pm

I'm extremely new to throwing "true" swimbaits ( just got my mattlures bluegill and baby bass last week!). So there may be others more qualified on this one. But I honestly think braid is a poor choice versus mono/flouro. You want a more "forgiving" line when heaving these baits for a number of reasons. Yes w/braid you can feel a fish breathe on your lure, but you'll probauly react a little to soon at times resulting in a missed fish or two. Also on some of the lures that don't have the stoutest hooks, braid+ a big fish can = a straightened hook.

Flouro is a great line that has revolutioned several techniques. But personally, and others may disagree w/me on this, I just don't trust going after truly big fish with it. It's too "high maintenance" for me in a big bait application. Any one ever went to cast a heavy lure w/ flouro and either had your line wrapped around your rod tip or had a big backlash during the begining of the cast and heard that "gun shot" sound as your line snaps and your lure flies off? Don't get me wrong, I LOVE my xps flouro for soft plastics, jigs, cranks, etc. but when heaving expensive heavy lures there are better options.

Today's mono's are much better than those produced even 3 or 4 years ago. There are several out there, but my personal favorites are trilene maxx and p- line evo. The trilene in 20# performed great for me in chucking 1-2oz jerkbaits, cranks, and topwaters for stripers last year,
these fish are MUCH better fighters than largemouths and I caught linesides up 28lbs. with no break offs.

Sorry for the long post, the storms knocked out my power and I'm bored :x
regards,
Josh

fishin'vince
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by fishin'vince » Mon Aug 20, 2007 12:07 am

why not use 50 lb braid with 20 lb fluoro leader? i use 30 lb fluoro as a leader but am considering downsizing in an attempt to get more bites. my current line setup is ridiculously tough. i splice the lines together with a bimini twist and albright knot. i tie to a snap with a sandiego jam knot. no problems at all with line or knot failure. with some situations, it benefits you to use regular mono. 25lb test is the way to go in so cal.

SPAZ
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by SPAZ » Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:25 am

fishin'vince wrote:why not use 50 lb braid with 20 lb fluoro leader? i use 30 lb fluoro as a leader but am considering downsizing in an attempt to get more bites. my current line setup is ridiculously tough. i splice the lines together with a bimini twist and albright knot. i tie to a snap with a sandiego jam knot. no problems at all with line or knot failure. with some situations, it benefits you to use regular mono. 25lb test is the way to go in so cal.
Eve if you use a leader you are still going to get those pesky wind knots and they are killer. I'm using 40 lb braid and my line hasn't snapped yet but I already damaged one swimbait because of the bad wind knots you get with braid using heavy baits.

senkoman85
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by senkoman85 » Mon Aug 20, 2007 5:55 pm

I started off throwing swimbaits with 65# braided line. It worked fine for a while but then I moved up in size to the Hudds and the BBZ-1 series baits. The line has a lot of stress put on it. Bad knots, lose connections, ect are not a good thing. I had a knot pull out of my braid and sent my almost new Spro BBZ-1 sailing across the water. Luckily, it was the floating version and it eventually came back to me after several heart attacks.

It could still happen with floro/mono on a line that is knicked up, but it's much easier to see/feel problems with your standard lines.

My line now is 30# P-Line CXX and I love it. Will most likely jump down to a 20 or 25 after this season to get a little more action out of the baits.