Skunked on Swimbaits

Come share your passion, experiences, and questions for the latest fishing craze to take the Nation... you asked for it, and here it is.. TT's SWIMBAIT FORUM!
Lucas
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Skunked on Swimbaits

Post by Lucas » Mon Aug 20, 2007 4:41 am

Headed out Saturday night for a few hours and fished a spot that has LM, SM and I'm almost positive it's got trout in there too. I told myself I was "going big or going home" and only took swimbaits. No spinnerbaits. No buzzbaits. Just me, a Wake Jr., a Slammer, a Huddleston, Matt Gill and some Smelly Jelly. I blanked yet again. I know I'm new to this and I know it will take some time but I thought it was going to be my night. This body of water doesn't receive a lot of pressure and I know it's got some decent fish in it. Where the heck were they? The water was down about 4-6 feet so I fished underwater points, creek channels and shallow flats. Nobody home. I know, I know, stick with it, but damn, I got a hitless streak going and it flat out stinks.

Thanks for letting me vent. My wife doesn't understand how upsetting a skunking (let alone a skunking streak) can be. LOL

davej
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Skunked on Swimbaits

Post by davej » Mon Aug 20, 2007 6:07 am

Lucas wrote:Headed out Saturday night for a few hours and fished a spot that has LM, SM and I'm almost positive it's got trout in there too. I told myself I was "going big or going home" and only took swimbaits. No spinnerbaits. No buzzbaits. Just me, a Wake Jr., a Slammer, a Huddleston, Matt Gill and some Smelly Jelly. I blanked yet again. I know I'm new to this and I know it will take some time but I thought it was going to be my night. This body of water doesn't receive a lot of pressure and I know it's got some decent fish in it. Where the heck were they? The water was down about 4-6 feet so I fished underwater points, creek channels and shallow flats. Nobody home. I know, I know, stick with it, but damn, I got a hitless streak going and it flat out stinks.

Thanks for letting me vent. My wife doesn't understand how upsetting a skunking (let alone a skunking streak) can be. LOL
Hey Bud... I respect your dedication of only taking the big baits.. In those situations I wonder if the other baits would have worked? the last few outings with Bill he was throwing the kitchen sink and only got two bites a smallie and Pickerel the whole day, so I kept throwing SB and ended up with only 2 fish as well.. if he was pounding them I would have switched up for sure.. my point being maybe it was an off night.. Did you try any of those huddleston shads? Do you have any of those Mighty or Mission fish? maybe they wanted something smaller or jigged off the bottom..

How were you working each bait.. How long were you at it for..

Lucas
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Lucas » Mon Aug 20, 2007 6:17 am

davej wrote:Hey Bud... I respect your dedication of only taking the big baits.. In those situations I wonder if the other baits would have worked? the last few outings with Bill he was throwing the kitchen sink and only got two bites a smallie and Pickerel the whole day, so I kept throwing SB and ended up with only 2 fish as well.. if he was pounding them I would have switched up for sure.. my point being maybe it was an off night.. Did you try any of those huddleston shads? Do you have any of those Mighty or Mission fish? maybe they wanted something smaller or jigged off the bottom..

Yeah, I wonder too. I knew that if I brought a bunch of gear I would not have given the swimbaits a honest try. A couple of casts with nothing and I would've put them down. I was out for about 3 hours and just told myself to stick with it.

With the Wake Jr. and the Slammer, I would cast 'em out and let them sit for what seemed like an enternity. Then I would wake back real slow. I also tried various speeds and jerkin' them but slow and steady was the presentation I used the majority of the time. With the Hudds I used the ROF 12 and cast it out, let it sink on freespool, hopped it a couple times and then slowly reeled it in.

I do have a couple Mission Fish but I didn't throw them this time out.

I just keep tellin' myself that Friday's front shut 'em down. LOL

davej
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by davej » Mon Aug 20, 2007 7:05 am

Lucas wrote:
davej wrote:Hey Bud... I respect your dedication of only taking the big baits.. In those situations I wonder if the other baits would have worked? the last few outings with Bill he was throwing the kitchen sink and only got two bites a smallie and Pickerel the whole day, so I kept throwing SB and ended up with only 2 fish as well.. if he was pounding them I would have switched up for sure.. my point being maybe it was an off night.. Did you try any of those huddleston shads? Do you have any of those Mighty or Mission fish? maybe they wanted something smaller or jigged off the bottom..

Yeah, I wonder too. I knew that if I brought a bunch of gear I would not have given the swimbaits a honest try. A couple of casts with nothing and I would've put them down. I was out for about 3 hours and just told myself to stick with it.

With the Wake Jr. and the Slammer, I would cast 'em out and let them sit for what seemed like an enternity. Then I would wake back real slow. I also tried various speeds and jerkin' them but slow and steady was the presentation I used the majority of the time. With the Hudds I used the ROF 12 and cast it out, let it sink on freespool, hopped it a couple times and then slowly reeled it in.

I do have a couple Mission Fish but I didn't throw them this time out.

I just keep tellin' myself that Friday's front shut 'em down. LOL
yeah those are the presentations I would have done with the Wake Bait jr.. try bringing some of those huddleston shads and mission fish next time as well..

It happens man.. I skunked on my buddies private lake where we usually end up with and average of 15 each.. the only thing that kept me from jumping overboard was Murphy only caught one on a chatter bait..

Lightninrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Lightninrod » Mon Aug 20, 2007 7:21 am

It's the "nature of the beast" :? . Yes, it's frustrating but the future rewards are almost overwhelming! ;)

Dan

Lucas
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Lucas » Mon Aug 20, 2007 7:28 am

davej wrote:It happens man..
Lightninrod wrote:It's the "nature of the beast" :? . Yes, it's frustrating but the future rewards are almost overwhelming! ;)
Yep, this fishless streak means I'm due for a HUGE fall bite. 8-)

...right?! :worried:

...right?! :pray:

Lubina
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Lubina » Mon Aug 20, 2007 7:56 am

I also went skunked yestreday after 5 hours of casting swimbaits....not even the Gill worked.

First time got to use the Shellcraker, not very impressed....my arms are sore.......

davej
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by davej » Mon Aug 20, 2007 8:01 am

Lubina wrote:I also went skunked yestreday after 5 hours of casting swimbaits....not even the Gill worked.

First time got to use the Shellcraker, not very impressed....my arms are sore.......
I'm curious what you did not like about it? Please tell us why you are not impressed..

Lubina
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Lubina » Mon Aug 20, 2007 8:06 am

davej wrote:
Lubina wrote:I also went skunked yestreday after 5 hours of casting swimbaits....not even the Gill worked.

I'm curious what you did not like about it? Please tell us why you are not impressed..
Dave I don't want to take over this post....I started a new one

leo33
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by leo33 » Mon Aug 20, 2007 5:23 pm

cast swimbait and repeat and repeat and repeat etc.i guarantee it will pay off. ;)

Lucas
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Lucas » Mon Aug 20, 2007 6:32 pm

leo33 wrote:cast swimbait and repeat and repeat and repeat etc.i guarantee it will pay off. ;)
you guarantee it? SWEET!! LOL thanks.

SwimBaitGuy
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by SwimBaitGuy » Mon Aug 20, 2007 8:56 pm

Just keep chucking it, it will pay off. Not everyone can land a double digit their first time out.

I blanked my first 6 times out throwing swimbaits, than things started clicking. My only problem so far is none have been over 4lbs, haha.

Centipede
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Centipede » Tue Aug 21, 2007 4:52 am

I find it somewhat funny that just because you decided to throw a SB the fish should eat it. It is a tool and the conditions have to right for it.

leo33
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by leo33 » Tue Aug 21, 2007 8:41 am

your right the fish does not have to eat it,but the law of averages will fall into place.you keep throwing a swimbait and sooner or later a big fish will eat it.also do not get to hung up on conditions.fish do not read the books. ;)