Made a Couple Storage Boxes Today - Pic

Come share your passion, experiences, and questions for the latest fishing craze to take the Nation... you asked for it, and here it is.. TT's SWIMBAIT FORUM!
Sully
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Made a Couple Storage Boxes Today - Pic

Post by Sully » Mon Aug 20, 2007 3:29 pm

As per Davej's directions, I attempted to put together some boxes today. Thanks Dave for the help! I think they turned out great. Just a couple notes in addition to his instructions:

If you can't find the nuts Dave used, you can use regular "T nuts". Also, if you use longer clips like I did, you may have to adjust how you space the rods in the double decker box... The longer clips (size 5) allow the tails to rest at the base of the box so I have to move the rods up accordingly.

murphy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Made a Couple Storage Boxes Today - Pic

Post by murphy » Mon Aug 20, 2007 4:20 pm

nice work Hoff!!
When I grow up, I want to be like Cal

Lucas
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Lucas » Mon Aug 20, 2007 4:43 pm

Nice job, Sully. I've just been using a Plano 3730 but I'm concerned about warping my Gills, Hudds and Mission Fish. I'm gonna have to look into this.

Obviously though, you now how to store the box upright. Will this cause any issues in your boats storage compartments?

senkoman85
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by senkoman85 » Mon Aug 20, 2007 5:02 pm

Drats. I was so close to buying those Markey Boxes.

If you don't mind, can you tell us all how much the box and pieces cost, and how much time it took to assemble each one? I'm assuming it's cheaper then the 20 dollars for the Markey Boxes, but would like to know cost/time before I go buy everything.

Boxes look great though!

Sully
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Sully » Mon Aug 20, 2007 5:26 pm

Lucas wrote:Nice job, Sully. I've just been using a Plano 3730 but I'm concerned about warping my Gills, Hudds and Mission Fish. I'm gonna have to look into this.

Obviously though, you now how to store the box upright. Will this cause any issues in your boats storage compartments?
Actually I haven't figured out the storage on the boat issue yet. But I figure they are off the boat longer than on the boat being used so I think they're better off in the long run. If it comes down to it, I at least have room on the floor to just prop them up against a tackle bag until I find a suitable storage spot.
Senko wrote:Drats. I was so close to buying those Markey Boxes.

If you don't mind, can you tell us all how much the box and pieces cost, and how much time it took to assemble each one? I'm assuming it's cheaper then the 20 dollars for the Markey Boxes, but would like to know cost/time before I go buy everything.

Boxes look great though!
The box was 5.50 and the rod, split rings, and clip were probably 4-5 bucks per box...and I didn't get the cheapest rings and clips. When I get more of those, I'll order them from BPS for a lot cheaper. It was a spur of the moment thing so I didn't have an opportunity to buy in bulk. So you should figure at least half the price of a Markey's box, plus no shipping!

Lubina
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Lubina » Mon Aug 20, 2007 5:32 pm

Sully looks very good....really good

davej
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by davej » Mon Aug 20, 2007 5:37 pm

Very Nice Sully... I think FCON used two bungee cords attached to ? on the inside wall of his boat along and slid the boxes behind it. they stayed upright and secure..

senkoman85
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by senkoman85 » Mon Aug 20, 2007 5:46 pm

Sully wrote:
The box was 5.50 and the rod, split rings, and clip were probably 4-5 bucks per box...and I didn't get the cheapest rings and clips. When I get more of those, I'll order them from BPS for a lot cheaper. It was a spur of the moment thing so I didn't have an opportunity to buy in bulk. So you should figure at least half the price of a Markey's box, plus no shipping!

Wanna make me a couple of 'em? :D

Sully
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Sully » Mon Aug 20, 2007 5:50 pm

senkoman85 wrote:
Sully wrote:

Wanna make me a couple of 'em? :D
Sure, $20 plus shipping, paypal accepted :lol:

senkoman85
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by senkoman85 » Mon Aug 20, 2007 5:57 pm

Sully wrote:

:roll:

To tacklewarehouse I go. I always end up spending way more then the 50 dollar minimum for free shipping.

njvbass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by njvbass » Mon Aug 20, 2007 6:12 pm

senkoman85 wrote:
Sully wrote:

To tacklewarehouse I go. I always end up spending way more then the 50 dollar minimum for free shipping.
you feel like you gotta deal after that though...............everytime. :lol:

mrgadget
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by mrgadget » Mon Aug 20, 2007 6:20 pm

njvbass wrote:
senkoman85 wrote:
Sully wrote:

you feel like you gotta deal after that though...............everytime. :lol:
I've saved so much bumping my orders up to point I could get "free shipping"... I can't afford to save no more! :shock: Gadget

senkoman85
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by senkoman85 » Mon Aug 20, 2007 6:27 pm

My current order is right around 150 dollars. Yes, I am a tackle junkie. And while 150 dollars may not be much to you guys, I do work at a large chain outdoor store in the fishing department. I own multiples of everything we sell...

The first 2 times I ordered from TW they were right above 50 dollars. Now, I have to look at EVERY catagory with the baitmonkey on my back screaming in my ear and pulling my hair. It's getting bad but I can always find a NEED for SOMETHING, and once the initial need is there, why not get free shipping? And a new Spro BBZ-1 swimbait? And some new line? Crankbaits are on sale! Oh! I lost a spinnerbait last trip out, better buy a half dozen more to replace it!

I doubt I need to tell YOU guys how that works, though :D

Lucas
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Lucas » Mon Aug 20, 2007 6:29 pm

Sully wrote: Sure, $20 plus shipping, paypal accepted :lol:
Does that include the rubberband for tweaking the MattGill's pectoral fins? ;)

Mattlures
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Mattlures » Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:24 am

Guys as much as I loved Cals review of my Gill, I dont like the rubberband. It makes a funny dent in its head and can leava crease around its face. Once the fins are set and the bait is hanging the fins stay sticking out pretty good. If you feel the need to keep the fins forward I think a pin on each fin would work better because it wouldnt afect the rest of the bait. just pull them out befor you use them