9-30-07 Private Lake in NJ

Come share your passion, experiences, and questions for the latest fishing craze to take the Nation... you asked for it, and here it is.. TT's SWIMBAIT FORUM!
davej
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

9-30-07 Private Lake in NJ

Post by davej » Mon Oct 01, 2007 4:43 pm

Got a chance to fish with two good friends on a private lake in NJ.. Grabed some new swimbait gear and Got to the water around 5:30. I knew I was in trouble when the guys were picking up some nice bass on tubes slowly dragged on the bottom..

Well since I only brought swimbaits to the party I grabbed that Deps Realiser in Perch.. First couple of casts I nail this horse of a pickerel, they would crush it using any retrieve.. This bait feels like a big crank bait on the end of your rod, what I really liked about this bait was although it was a floater the ascend was very slow. I started working it like a big jerk bait and the bass would pound it on the pause.. I would say at least 10 times I would have bass follow it to the boat, sometimes multiple fish..

I then tried the Huddleston shad, banged a LMB right off the bat and then had a pickerel bite it off.. They would just slam in and dink your line would get cut..

I tied on the mission fish 5" in black, had a few pick ups when bouncing off the bottom and as I was reeling it in to take another cast a pickerel bit it in half.. Tied on another one and bang I felt the hit and I knew it was a pickerel.. The bait came back with some massive teeth slashes.. I glued it back together and put it away.. These guys were loosing tubes left and right to the gators so I didn't want to add another mission fish to mix..

I fished the Gan Craft OSA 80 hoping to get a few smallies to come up.. (We didn't see any smallies till the last hour of fishing, when we saw a smallie busting bait..) I like the baits action, tight little wobble. The bait runs just under the surface.. I look forward to getting the OSA 115.. You can't burn this bait as it will turn on its side.

I took a few casts with the S-Song 115.. Great looking bait, however I was not impressed with the action.. It kind of flopped side to side (which is the stated action) it reminded me of a bait that is fouled.. Maybe it was just me or that I didn't give it a chance but that bait was quickly put away..

I took out the Lunker Punker Jr... Man I like this bait.. The wake it throws off and the huge glide.. I casted on the edge of some pads and as I pulled the bait off a pad it skipped and as soon as it stopped bang a fish blow up clearly behind the bait, then a few hours later I pulled the bait back out when my buddy started banging smallies on a Sammy.. I was working the bait with a few good glides and let it sit.. Bang a fish blows up and quickly pops off.. I then casted right behind my buddy as he picked up a nice smallie on the Sammy.. I got about two glides and bang fish on.. granted he was small it was an awesome blow up and fun to catch with this bait..

Although I was out fished 4 to 1 I still had a blast catching these fish on the swimbaits and had dreams last night about doing it again..

The fall bite is only a couple weeks away... And I hope to get on the water as much as possible...

here is some pics..

bpm2000
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: 9-30-07 Private Lake in NJ

Post by bpm2000 » Mon Oct 01, 2007 5:09 pm

SRG overload!

Good to hear about the punker - i broke down and ordered one a lil while ago. Cant wait to fish it!

Sucks about the 115, that was one good looking bait.

I dunno if I would risk those swimmies on a lake full of pickeral myself but sounds like an awesome day nonetheless.

Lightninrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Lightninrod » Mon Oct 01, 2007 5:29 pm

Dave. y'all did some 'fangtastic' fishing young man!!!

I too just ordered a Plunker Jr.

Dan

arbogastjunkie
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by arbogastjunkie » Mon Oct 01, 2007 5:38 pm

Nice writeup and great fish! I think I may have to get one of those Relisers!!

bigfish2
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by bigfish2 » Mon Oct 01, 2007 6:27 pm

very Nice! That gill looks really good :)

davej
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by davej » Mon Oct 01, 2007 6:58 pm

Dan & BPM: you are going to love fishing this bait.. it's just huge, can be worked a bunch of different ways and the fish explode on it..

Arbo: if you have perch in your lakes then yes get one of these baits.. Think of a jerk bait bite only bigger..

spw
Angler
Angler

Post by spw » Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:15 pm

Nice fish Dave, what combos did you use to throw the baits?

davej
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by davej » Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:44 pm

spw wrote:Nice fish Dave, what combos did you use to throw the baits?
Ohh yeah forgot about that..

evergreen.. Balista 7'4" 1/2oz to 4oz with the Luna 253 and 20lb gamma to throw the Punker

711 MH Powell with the BBS and 20lb gamma to throw the huddleston (didn't mention that bait in my line up, I was just taking a few casts to get the feel for this bait)

Evergreen Stallion with Ize Light and 10lb gamma to throw the OSA 80, 115 Song, Huddleston Shad..

Gary Dobyns Frog rod with the Zillion to throw the 5" mission fish

F6-69X Super Destroyer III with the Ringa and 15lb test to throw the Deps Realiser..

iangler
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by iangler » Mon Oct 01, 2007 8:06 pm

Great post.
Looks like I'm gonna start looking for a few REALIZERs.
How did you use it? Like a big crankbait? Slow? Fast?

deepsessions
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by deepsessions » Mon Oct 01, 2007 8:35 pm

great report,great pics,great baits,and nice fish man! you guys are on the road to get a new state record!

bab33face
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by bab33face » Mon Oct 01, 2007 9:49 pm

I always look forward to reading your fishing reports Dave! I am definitely going to pick up the Lunker Punker and possibly the Jr also.

Keep those posts coming.

davej
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by davej » Tue Oct 02, 2007 7:42 am

iangler wrote:Great post.
Looks like I'm gonna start looking for a few REALIZERs.
How did you use it? Like a big crankbait? Slow? Fast?
I first started (like most of my initial retrieves) very slow.. picked up that Pickerel as my first fish with it.. stuck with that retrieve with only pickerel and follows from LM.. I noticed the slow rate of ascend so I thought I will work it like a jerk bait and thats when the bass would hit it (on the pause).. also due to all the follows I then tried burning it with no hits..

The hooks got bent and I lost all the feathers off the rear hook.. I just swapped out both hooks for the Stinger ST-41BC 2X size 2 for both front and rear.. these hooks being bigger might make the ascend even slower..

I'm going to try and play hookie Friday and give this another test along with some other baits I'm dying to try or give more time on the water..

Snidley
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Snidley » Tue Oct 02, 2007 4:04 pm

Boy that Perch bait looks good. How much are they and where can I get one? They would slay Pike (Pickeral) up here in Canada.
Snidley

iangler
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by iangler » Tue Oct 02, 2007 6:26 pm

Thanks for the detailed explanation davej.
I'm going to start hunting for a few of those REALIZERS today.
Looks like they have a shad color that might work really well in my area.

By the way, I love ST-41s. My favorite treble hooks.

fanjoo
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by fanjoo » Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:32 pm

great fish man...looks like you guys had a blast.