best shad swimbait/rod/reel combo

Come share your passion, experiences, and questions for the latest fishing craze to take the Nation... you asked for it, and here it is.. TT's SWIMBAIT FORUM!
rolltide
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

best shad swimbait/rod/reel combo

Post by rolltide » Mon Oct 01, 2007 4:59 pm

What kind of shad swimbait (for catching smaller 3-5 pound largemouths) should I use? Basically one that can run from waking to 15'. I was thinking a bait along the lines of a Huddleston shad. Any other suggestions? Do you think it could work well with a Pflueger Patriarch 6.4:1 reel and an all star rod? What length should the rod be? If there any other bait, rod, or reel suggestions, please post them.
ROLL TIDE

Lightninrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: best shad swimbait/rod/reel combo

Post by Lightninrod » Mon Oct 01, 2007 5:31 pm

Wish I could help you rt(Alabama, the Heart of Dixie!) but I'll have to let someone else chime in and, welcome to TT!

Dan

deepsessions
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by deepsessions » Mon Oct 01, 2007 8:32 pm

I would think you'd be okay with a heavy jig rod or flippin' stick. Check these baits out I'm sure you'll find somethin' that's close to what you have locally

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/descpage ... BSESB.html

njvbass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by njvbass » Tue Oct 02, 2007 9:08 am

You can throw that hudd shad on a spinnerbait set-up it weighs less then 1/2oz

murphy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by murphy » Tue Oct 02, 2007 4:21 pm

njvbass wrote:You can throw that hudd shad on a spinnerbait set-up it weighs less then 1/2oz
ditto
When I grow up, I want to be like Cal

Lucas
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Lucas » Tue Oct 02, 2007 5:57 pm

murphy wrote:
njvbass wrote:You can throw that hudd shad on a spinnerbait set-up it weighs less then 1/2oz
ditto
Yep, just went out and threw some Hudd Shads on my new Curado 200DHSV & Powell 7' Heavy EF 704C combo. This is going to be my spinnerbait setup but I knew it would work perfectly for Hudd Shads.

*please note the obligatory SRG. :lol:
Attachments
lilhuddshadbass.jpg
lilhuddshadbass.jpg (45.5 KiB) Viewed 7295 times

rolltide
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by rolltide » Tue Oct 02, 2007 6:07 pm

So I can use this bait on flipping or spinnerbait gear. What line best suits these baits?
ROLL TIDE

davej
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by davej » Tue Oct 02, 2007 7:16 pm

Lucas wrote:
murphy wrote:
ditto
Yep, just went out and threw some Hudd Shads on my new Curado 200DHSV & Powell 7' Heavy EF 704C combo. This is going to be my spinnerbait setup but I knew it would work perfectly for Hudd Shads.

*please note the obligatory SRG. :lol:
Very Nice Lucas...

Ohh looks like the bait came off the harness.. same thing happend when I caught that smallie... maybe you can glue her back together..

You should post that pic and full report in the give away forum for those Paddle tails..

DJ

Lucas
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Lucas » Wed Oct 03, 2007 4:57 am

davej wrote:Very Nice Lucas...

Ohh looks like the bait came off the harness.. same thing happend when I caught that smallie... maybe you can glue her back together..

You should post that pic and full report in the give away forum for those Paddle tails..

DJ
Thanks, Dave. The bait did come off the harness which was a little upsetting being that it was the first fish caught on it, not to mention, it was a smaller fish. Oh well, no biggie, I can definitely glue her back together. Whether she'll swim correctly is another story.

I thought about posting it the give away thread but didn't feel right about it as the fish is small. (small = doesn't count) :lol:

davej
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by davej » Wed Oct 03, 2007 5:35 am

Lucas wrote:
I thought about posting it the give away thread but didn't feel right about it as the fish is small. (small = doesn't count) :lol:
Not true.. you post that up.. NJ is going to clean up on these..

Lubina come on mate.. throw up a SRG and new report.. you will like these baits..

DJ