Decoy Hydra vs Hudd

Come share your passion, experiences, and questions for the latest fishing craze to take the Nation... you asked for it, and here it is.. TT's SWIMBAIT FORUM!
liprpr
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Decoy Hydra vs Hudd

Post by liprpr » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:08 am

What are some of the advantages and disadvantages of the new Decoy Hydra's in comparison to the Hudd 6" swimbaits? I'll try the new Decoys, but I'll probably just stick with the good ol Hudd's. Any thoughts or proof that these things work better??

Fbass
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Decoy Hydra vs Hudd

Post by Fbass » Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:46 am

Just wish they made some sizes for adults! 5" is useless IMO

primus
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by primus » Tue May 03, 2011 1:16 pm

Disagree ! I haven't hit any trophy's but this bait has been producing for me this spring with quality fish that refused the bigger baits on those outings. I've been impressed with it as a finnesse swimbait.

Pen3
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Pen3 » Sat May 07, 2011 6:11 pm

Hes from France they got giant Muskie and Pikes, but i think Italy has the bigger Muskies and Russia has some bad ass hybrids.

flaswimbaiter
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by flaswimbaiter » Mon May 09, 2011 2:55 pm

I just got both and I don't think either vibrate enough, but if I had to chose i would use the hudds.

Iowa Matt
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Iowa Matt » Sun May 15, 2011 6:41 am

Been using the Decoy a lot this spring and have been very pleased with it. I think it works a lot better in clear water. There definitely isn't enough vibration for cloudy water, but I suspect none of them would work well in that situation.

No giant, but the fish absolutely pounded the Decoy.

Matt

PittsBoy
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by PittsBoy » Sun May 15, 2011 7:29 am

Pen3 wrote:Hes from France they got giant Muskie and Pikes, but i think Italy has the bigger Muskies and Russia has some bad ass hybrids.
No musky in France, neither in Italy or Russia...
http://1world2fish.wordpress.com/

beezy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by beezy » Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:31 pm

I really like the decoy hydra. I haven't caught very big fish on it but the ones that I catch were still good size. I love the action, more tail-kicking action that the huddleston. Also if you pause and let the lure sink it wobbles as it's going down which has caught a few good fish for me by swimming it and pausing it in open pockets.

Native
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Native » Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:13 am

beezy wrote:I really like the decoy hydra. I haven't caught very big fish on it but the ones that I catch were still good size. I love the action, more tail-kicking action that the huddleston. Also if you pause and let the lure sink it wobbles as it's going down which has caught a few good fish for me by swimming it and pausing it in open pockets.

+1, excellent baits with excellent quality, also wish they had larger options.

Shads, Grass Minnows, and Deluxe 8", and 68's are the only Hudds I'd look at personally. The Weedless 6" in my opoinion are terrible (will not run properly at any retrieve speed).

Tim

T Mike
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by T Mike » Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:10 pm

I've gotten a few of them for shoal bass fishing in current. They are a legit bait. They work at all speeds and fall horizontally. A little bit of eye issue but so far the bait is solid. Read somewhere that they are working on a 7" bait. I'll buy one.. Thumbs up here so far I agree need that bigger size...

Mike
Dobyns Rods, Lucky Craft, Triple Fish, Bull Shad

spookybaits
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spookybaits » Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:26 pm

I'll give my thoughts on the Decoy as there's plenty of info on the Hudd already out there.
Imo, forget using it to imitate trout and go for the shad color schemes. It's deadly at imitating 'a casual, just swimming along minding my own business' shad. it's so realistic in its movement on a medium pace retrieve that i've actually had shad school up next to it and match its pace. I've even had shad try to court it. No crap. It's decent on a faster retrieve and slower retrieve as well, but not the extreme ends of the spectrum. I really like this bait, its a perfect match on my dobyns 705 cb glass. I generally fish it with sunline defier 13lb line.
Now, what I don't like about it. After it gets hung up on something & jerked on, or whacked hard by an aggressive fish, it never runs true again. 2-3 trips is about all I can get out of one , less if i put it in the trees or get into aggressive schooling bass. the fault lies in the area around the line tie. once it gets roughed up, thats it. Until decoy reinforces this area, or lower's the price to around $8, I won't buy anymore. Which is a shame because I really like it.
It really works good when running it thru timber- when it rubs up against a branch, give it a slight jerk- it rolls on it's side and it looks just like a fish when they do this- if you've ever owned an aquarium with wood in it you've seen fish do this- if you haven't- just imagine a fish trying to scrach an itch on it's side. When the lure does this the bass just murder it. In the aquarium it also seems to trigger something in the other fish as well, they seem to 'turn on'. I think this is also explains why bass key in on crankbaits that deflect of stumps, branches, etc.

Gblaze
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Gblaze » Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:01 pm

I havent been too impressed with the shad out of huddleston -
the best of which are the 68's IMHO

Thanks Im gonna try the shad Decoy