Dedicated 4" to 5" paddle tail rod

Come share your passion, experiences, and questions for the latest fishing craze to take the Nation... you asked for it, and here it is.. TT's SWIMBAIT FORUM!
JWR075
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Dedicated 4" to 5" paddle tail rod

Post by JWR075 » Thu Feb 12, 2015 10:27 pm

What rod would you use for a dedicated 4" to 5" paddle tail swimbait. Most of the lakes I fish have small forge fish and I am thinking of matching the hatch. I know these are not heavy weight lures but looking for a rod to maximize these baits. I have a Damiki SB Rod but do not think it would be a good match for these "finesse" swimbaits. The swimbaits I am look at are the Basstrix paddle tail, Skinny Bear and Top Shelf.

Ok so I have been looking and was wondering if you all thought the 13 Fishing Omen Green 7'2"MH would be a good Rod for these? I will be using either a Fuego or Lexa100 for these also. Is the fast taper of these rods ok for these baits?

SouthArkFishin
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Dedicated 4" to 5" paddle tail rod

Post by SouthArkFishin » Fri Feb 13, 2015 5:38 am

I throw my paddle tails with underspins, regular jig heads, and weighted swimbait hooks on my MB F5-69DG Chimera. I also use it for my chatterbaits with paddle tail trailers. It's an out of production rod so you'd hafta be ok with buying used and I know there are plenty of other rods out there that would work just fine, but it's just a super sweet rod that I really enjoy throwing. I've got a Zonda Rosso riding shotgun on it and it really slings em.

Tokugawa
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Tokugawa » Sat Feb 14, 2015 10:58 pm

I use a few different rods for these, in ascending order of power:

MB 711X4
MB White Python
MB Super Red Demon

I typically throw a Keitech 4.8 Fat Impact with a Model III jig head in 3/8 oz. They end up weighing a little over an ounce. It comes down to preference on action, casting distance and desired power.

I prefer the WP, even though it has a slower action. When bass take a moving bait, even one with a single hook, I like a more moderate action and still have a great hook up percentage. The other, faster action rods are still wonderful and have their own benefits. The 711 gets incredible casting range. The SRD obviously provides power for sloppier conditions. The WP is a best balance of all considerations for me.

HTH...

JWR075
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by JWR075 » Sun Feb 15, 2015 1:48 pm

X4 Destruction seems like a canidate for this task or would the XX Pitch Perfect be a better rod for this?

Gone Phishin
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Gone Phishin » Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:11 am

JWR075 wrote:X4 Destruction seems like a canidate for this task or would the XX Pitch Perfect be a better rod for this?
I love the X4 Destruction for this application...so much that I am buying another one this year before the thaw.

cdav111
Angler
Angler

Post by cdav111 » Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:00 pm

1. i have a used destruction for sale. Check bass boat central for details (i don't have 100 posts so i cant post it here)
2. the XX EMTF in my opinion is not only better suited to the task (assuming a 1/4- 3/4 oz jig head) but its also cheaper.
i couldn't see why a 5 inch paddletail would need more than 3/4oz. possibly in current?