Double-up? Swimbait Rod for SW Snook, Tarpon, etc.?

Come share your passion, experiences, and questions for the latest fishing craze to take the Nation... you asked for it, and here it is.. TT's SWIMBAIT FORUM!
Reverendo
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Double-up? Swimbait Rod for SW Snook, Tarpon, etc.?

Post by Reverendo » Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:24 am

I noticed the specs on many Swimbait rods are ideal for throwing baits like FlairHawks, SpoolTeks and 6-8in. paddletails, etc. (Perhaps even live-baiting larger mullet). Any reason why these Swimbait rods cannot be used for these applications? I'm thinking of pairing it with a 300 Millionaire / Ryoga or 400 Calcutta. Right now I'm using a G Loomis 843 (saltwater) and an 845 (mag Bass) for reference...

Aquaftm45
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Double-up? Swimbait Rod for SW Snook, Tarpon, etc.?

Post by Aquaftm45 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:18 am

Very common in Japan to cross match the longer swimbait rods to saltwater use. Especially the longer versions that have a wide lure range (1/2oz to 6oz) and a more moderate taper. Paradox makes an 8'6 and 7'11 that could be used in a wide variety of saltwater applications. That rod lineup in particular is well suited with it's Ti guide train, double footed regular sized guides, and bare bone construction. Pricey brand though.
I'd feel comfortable targeting Tarpon on the beach with one of those, but not digging one out of Boca Grande Pass :shock:

Hell, I used my 7'2 MB Poker throwing large greenbacks under docks pulling out 36 inch snook last time I was in Florida.

Reverendo
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Reverendo » Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:26 am

Those Studio Composites are sweet for sure but too pricey for me. I'm middle tier when it comes to gear and cost. Yamaga Blanks is about as high as I'll go, but usually lower than that too...

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:23 am

Many of my swimbait rods get fished in both fresh and salt. I'm in SoCal, so I don't fish for Tarpon or snook, but I have caught tuna, yellowtail, calico bass, halibut, and all kinds of other fish on my swimbait rods. I don't know what kind of taper that people use for tarpon and snook. That is probably important to consider.

nolegsinmiami
Angler
Angler

Post by nolegsinmiami » Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:07 am

Its not a swimbait rod, but I do like using the NRX Umbrella rod for tarpon fishing.