New to swimbaits

Come share your passion, experiences, and questions for the latest fishing craze to take the Nation... you asked for it, and here it is.. TT's SWIMBAIT FORUM!
Juicyj82
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

New to swimbaits

Post by Juicyj82 » Thu Jul 04, 2019 7:46 pm

Alright guys, I wanna start throwing some of the bigger swimbaits and figured I would ask u guys where I should start I’ve thrown smaller stuff like keitechs but that’s about it. I recently purchased a megabass destroyer mark 48 and daiwa z200H as a dedicated combo to get started. Where should I start as far as swimbaits? What’s some good soft and hard baits for beginners? What line should I use? Thanks

Carlos Carrapiço
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: New to swimbaits

Post by Carlos Carrapiço » Fri Jul 05, 2019 2:12 am

It seems you already nailed the rod and reel. =D>
Upgrading the handle to 100mm and to bigger knobs might be a good idea in the long run.

I fish with FC 20 and up to 30Lb.
Braid is a dangerous game. The first mistake in casting ends up with your lure flying into the lake. [-X

Lures:
S-waver 200 and also the Jackall Gantarel =D>
Jointed Claw is a must but expensive and I strongly advise you to seal all hangers as they have a tendency to let water in :doh:
Deps Silent killer and slide swimmer are great. They truly are. Both of them :-$
Also the Jackall Gantarel =D>
Then you have the huddleston and the keitechs for more bottom contact presentation.

Don't be afraid of fishing with the biggest lure you have. It will help you locate the fish as it draws so much attention and it does catch them.
Once you know where they are, you can always adapt your game and change tactics.
Big swimbaits alone are a very ineffective tactic but combined with a big texas rigged fluke or senko can be devastating.

Use structure to your advantage: Bass love to corner their prey and anything will do the trick. A wall, a dock, a log, a funnel made by the bottom structure or rocks are all great things.

A lure fished tight (8" or less and even touching) against a wall in my opinion increases chances of a bass commit by 50% :-$

Remember, big fish are smart and once you get their attention, you must make them eat and that's the game.

Juicyj82
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Re: New to swimbaits

Post by Juicyj82 » Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:33 pm

Awesome information Carlos. I will check out some of the lures you mentioned. I can see this being an expensive little venture lol