Eliminating Backlash on Strong Casts

Come share your passion, experiences, and questions for the latest fishing craze to take the Nation... you asked for it, and here it is.. TT's SWIMBAIT FORUM!
Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Eliminating Backlash on Strong Casts

Post by Jeffbro999 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:12 pm

What are your brake settings? Beginning to middle of cast is all on the centrifugal brakes. End of the cast is on the spool tension as the spool is spinning slower and not creating as much braking(which is why casts were controlled but lacking distance). Try turning those brakes up some and turn the cast control down. Should give more control at the beginning, while still allowing free spin at the end of the cast for more distance. Also, if the reel is SVS, the brake pipe can have to much oil and will be to slick to give adequate braking on a hard cast. Clean it off and see if you have more control.

Reverendo
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Reverendo » Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:04 am

Morning Update:
Well I heeded the advice of several on here and removed the 30# Samurai.  I had some 50# J-Braid laying around, so I spooled the reel up half way just for kicks and giggles.  This morning I headed out to a nearby canal to test this theory.  I played with both the spool control and brakes, with heavy thumb and without, and still could not see any difference.  The longest cast was about 42 yards, with 38-39 being the average.  

Right now the spool tension is set a few clicks (2-3) looser than the recommended starting point, and I have 3 of the 8 brakes on.  I did try going up all the way with the brakes, as well as taking them all off.  The only noticeable difference was shorter casts when using maximum brakes.  Right now, I think this rules out the problem being thin line, no?  

The other option I see is to change the lure.  Maybe 1.5 oz mullet is catching too much wind and creating too much drag?  This afternoon I'll get back out there and try a standard 1.5 oz. bucktail jig.  

A last option would be to learn to cast. lol.  But really, maybe I need to remove all brakes and just practice training my thumb...

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:58 am

Reverendo said "A last option would be to learn to cast. lol. But really, maybe I need to remove all brakes and just practice training my thumb..."

That's basically what I did. I use just 2 of 6 brakes, and have my spool tension backed all the way off, so I can pitch easily.
Instead of having to increase the spool tension whenever I wanted to cast, I learned to thumb my spool all the time, and it has really allowed me to be able to fish in the wind much more easily, and without very many backlashes.

Tim Kelly
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Tim Kelly » Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:02 am

Were you still getting the mid cast backlashes? The cast distance is probably due to the bait and rod combination. Stiff rod and light wind resistant bait isn't going to go a mile. Try this. Get a 3oz sinker and try casting with that. It will cast really easily and you will get the sinker a good distance. If you still can't get any distance then there is either an issue with the reel or your technique really sucks. :D

Reverendo
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Reverendo » Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:43 am

Agreed on sucky technique. lol
I got one overrun ... again it occurred when I tried to put some real zing to the cast.

Reverendo
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Reverendo » Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:04 am

Let me say that I do appreciate all of you that took the time to give me your opinions and suggestions.  I would not have considered some of these options without your feedback.  So thank you.  

I think I found the culprit.  It seems that the 1.5 oz. Live Target Mullet is the suspect.  If you've been following this thread then you know I was only able to cast this lure about 38-39 yards, and when I really put some zing into the cast, I'd get an overrun about half way.  

Well I swapped out my 30# braid for 50# braid and opted to just fill the spool up half way.  Then I swapped out the Mullet for a regular 1.75 oz. bucktail jig.  First cast 45 yards!  After taking off one brake and loosing the spool control knob 2 clicks, pow, 48-49 yards.  This is a 10 yard jump over the LT mullet.  It seems like a noobie mistake, but that lure apparently creates quite a bit of drag and slows down significantly once it reaches its apex.  Right now I have 2 of 8 brakes on, and the spool is set several clicks lighter than the recommended setting. 

To further test this finding, I will re-spool with 40# braid and tie on a simple 3 oz. bank sinker.  Let's see what it'll do then.