Can I use a spinning reel on a flyrod?

Tips on tippets and more. Come share your secrets about the art of fly fishing or help fellow anglers immerse themselves in this escapist's technique.
Fishing Fanboy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Can I use a spinning reel on a flyrod?

Post by Fishing Fanboy » Sat Sep 02, 2006 7:28 pm

Can the reel seat on a flyrod accept a spinning reel? Are there any drawbacks of using a spinning reel on a flyrod? The reason why I want to use a flyrod is because they don't have a long butt section.

Kenny
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Re: Can I use a spinning reel on a flyrod?

Post by Kenny » Mon Sep 04, 2006 1:33 am

Yes you can. While I have not done it I have a great book about fly and bubble fishing and the author reccommends using fly rods with spinning reels. He does state that mono line is hard on the line guides of a fly rod and his method is to replace the line guides for use with mono.

Fishing Fanboy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Fishing Fanboy » Mon Sep 04, 2006 2:53 am

Cool I think I'm gonna try out a flyrod then and thanks for the info. :)

Reel Old Geezer
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew

Post by Reel Old Geezer » Mon Sep 04, 2006 5:41 am

There are a large number of sidecast spinning reels made specifically for fishing with fly rods. Most of these were made in Colorado, starting with the Humphreys reel. Most were made in the 1950-70 time period, but the Wright & McGill and Johnson reels continued on for many years, and may even still be built. The biggest problem with most of these reels is that they have a low gear ratio and do not retrieve your line very fast. You can purchase these reels on eBay for very little and they are great for panfishing or trout fishing.

Fishing Fanboy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Fishing Fanboy » Mon Sep 04, 2006 4:43 pm

Thanks for the info ROG, I'll do some research on those reels you've mentioned.

Nitroman77
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Nitroman77 » Mon Sep 04, 2006 4:45 pm

ive seen people crappie fish with the small spinning reel on a fly rod and it must work great. :lol:
THkustoms.com
Dobyns rods
Omega custom tackle
Biospawn
seaguar
phoenix boats

Fishing Fanboy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Fishing Fanboy » Mon Sep 04, 2006 5:32 pm

Cool, that's what I plan on using it for..crappie/panfish/bluegill and trout. I'm probably gonna put a small 1000 size spinner and 4-6lb line on a 9' flyrod. :)

Fishing Fanboy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Fishing Fanboy » Sat Sep 09, 2006 12:01 am

Tried a 9' #8 flyrod at Kmart today just to see how it felt with a spinning reel attached and came away pleasantly surprised. :) It balanced pretty well however I will have to adjust my casting technique. On a normal spinning rod I usually lock the reel neck in between my middle finger and ring finger of my right hand when holding and casting. With this fly rod I will have to hold it above the reel instead of locking the reel between my two fingers.

davej
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by davej » Sat Sep 09, 2006 10:33 am

Fishing Fanboy wrote:Tried a 9' #8 flyrod at Kmart today just to see how it felt with a spinning reel attached and came away pleasantly surprised. :) It balanced pretty well however I will have to adjust my casting technique. On a normal spinning rod I usually lock the reel neck in between my middle finger and ring finger of my right hand when holding and casting. With this fly rod I will have to hold it above the reel instead of locking the reel between my two fingers.
an 8# rod is for larger fish.... you can even use it for inshore strippers, false albies etc..

If your going to be using this for messin around with panfish I would try to get a 3# or 4# it will feel like your reeling in a monster... although I have never put a spinning reel on a fly rod.. 9' is a great length.. just tough casting in small narrow streams.. lets us know how you make out

DJ

Fishing Fanboy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Fishing Fanboy » Sat Sep 09, 2006 2:39 pm

Yeah I want a smaller rod but only the bigger rods come with the fighting butts. Anyway this rod will also be used for other types of fishing too. I'll report back how it works out. :)

davej
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by davej » Sat Sep 09, 2006 5:42 pm

Fishing Fanboy wrote:Yeah I want a smaller rod but only the bigger rods come with the fighting butts. Anyway this rod will also be used for other types of fishing too. I'll report back how it works out. :)
Yeah please do I'm curious how it will work out...

FlyfishTom
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by FlyfishTom » Sun Sep 24, 2006 4:14 pm

I used to tape a spinning reel onto a #8 flyrod for winter steelhead fishing near Chicago. It worked very well.

Fishing Fanboy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Fishing Fanboy » Mon Sep 25, 2006 4:10 am

That's one of the things I like about flyrods. They feel so much like steelhead rods which I love but I just don't like the long butt sections on standard steelhead rods.