Help a beginner spend a chunk of cash

Tips on tippets and more. Come share your secrets about the art of fly fishing or help fellow anglers immerse themselves in this escapist's technique.
Outlaws
Angler
Angler

Help a beginner spend a chunk of cash

Post by Outlaws » Fri Nov 24, 2006 2:04 pm

My grandfather passed away a few months back and I just receive a $1000 insurance check....so since he was a avid fisherman back when he was able, I figure there are not many better ways to spend the cash that getting started in fly fishing.

He didn't fly fish (that I know of), but anyways....

I got a first lesson on it at Sportsmans about a month ago and I was immediately hooked. I try to go fishing once or twice a year with my spinning rod/reel, but I would like to increase that in the near future.

I live in Arizona so fresh water lakes, streams, and rivers (we have the Salt River too, but its not like giant salt water fish) will be what I do mostly. Probably from shore or wading out. One day I will get a boat.

The guy at Sportsmans said about a 5 would be a good line and rod for me since I don't have a specific fish I would be fishing for. I like the idea of these life time warranties that St. Croix and others give, so something like that would be what I think I want.

Anyhow, I have an open mind right now so post what you would do with $1000 if you were just getting into Fly fishing but don't want a $100 starter package that will end up getting replaced (I like to buy once and buy right when its possible).

SenkoSnack808
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Help a beginner spend a chunk of cash

Post by SenkoSnack808 » Fri Nov 24, 2006 2:55 pm

1. Rods
Temple Fork Outfitters Lefty Kreh TICR 9 foot 4 piece 5 or 6 wieght
St. Croix Avid 9 foot 4 piece 5 or 6 weight
Redington CPS 9 foot 4 piece 5 or 6 weight

2. Reels
Cabelas LSR OR SLA
G-Loomis Eastfork
Ross Cimarron

3. Line
Mastery Trout GPX Taper, Forward Weight Floating
Rio Grand Trout Line, Forward Weight Floating
Courtland 555, Fowrad Weight Floating

Well that covers rods and reels as well as line, you may waht a smaller rod but 9 foot is the bread and butter for most bodies of water. Bets bet is to try and find these rods at a fly shop and test cast them, and see which one fits you better. The shop can set you up with flies, waders, etc. they will base the flies on your area and conditions.

Good Luck, You will enjoy it alot, Corey

da house of hardy #1
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by da house of hardy #1 » Sat Nov 25, 2006 12:54 am

rod: Sage Fli you can find a variety of different line class and length
reel: Gloomis EastFork maybe...but i think that LA reel would be better in this case :)
line:definetly Cortland 555 line is the only thing on which you dont have to save money...the more expensive the line is - the more better it performs...

Outlaws
Angler
Angler

Post by Outlaws » Sat Nov 25, 2006 9:56 am

The guy at Sportsmans said he was really happy with his rod (I forget the brand), but it had guide dots so you can assemble the 4 pieces really quick. He said to get a quality rod (obviously) but that they are a very nice "luxury" feature.

Any of these have that?

I obviously would take a quality rod over saving a little time putting it together, but then I am a noob so what do I know. ;)

reel: Gloomis EastFork maybe...but i think that LA reel would be better in this case
Forgive me but what is "LA reel"? Is that "large arbor"? Are you refer to the Cabela's SLA?

da house of hardy #1
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by da house of hardy #1 » Sat Nov 25, 2006 10:07 am

yes! LA -"large arbor"
Last edited by da house of hardy #1 on Sat Nov 25, 2006 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

da house of hardy #1
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by da house of hardy #1 » Sat Nov 25, 2006 10:09 am

i believe that it is not necessery to buy a very expensive rod, but if you want - here it is! hardy rods http://www.hardyfishing.com/index.php?if=view&pid=159

DUZBASS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by DUZBASS » Sat Nov 25, 2006 11:45 am

I would get a Winston BIIx 9 ft 5wt with a ross rhythm #2 and Rio Selective trout line WF5.

The BIIx is one of the best all round rods ever made in my opinion, lifetime warranty also.

The Ross Rhythm is one of the most dependable reels out there for the money, also lifetime warranty.

The rio fly lines have become my absolute favs, you cant go wrong with any of them.

If you dont like the winston try one of the new sage rods in a 9 ft 5wt, or see if you can find an XP on sale.

Whatever you do dont skimp on the rod, the reel is less important, but the rod is key. Stick with a Winston, Sage, Scott, they are the best.
Düzbomb's Custom Jigs www.facebook.com/DUZBOMBS

da house of hardy #1
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by da house of hardy #1 » Sat Nov 25, 2006 12:19 pm

hardy is da best :x :lol: :lol:

DUZBASS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by DUZBASS » Sat Nov 25, 2006 3:35 pm

Im not going to get into this one 8-)

backcast
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by backcast » Sat Nov 25, 2006 7:36 pm

I will get into this. Nobody can say that a specific brand / type of tackle is best and have that statement apply in most let alone all cases. You have received a lot of good suggestions. Probably any rod that has been mentioned will cast better than you can at this point - don't mean that as anything negative. It is just that they are really good rods, and you are starting out. Key point is the rod has to be the right action for your casting style. D-Bass recommended the Sage XP, one of the most popular rods ever. It is a fantastic (although recently discontinued) rod if you are suited for fast action rods. It does me no good, I love the moderate and even lean to the slower action rods (Like Sage SP and LL series). You need to cast any rod before you buy. Failing to do this will make your monkey very happy and may make flycasting a lot harder than it has to be.

Reels suggestions have also been good. For a 5 wt rod and fresh water you probably don't need much of a drag. Even so, I will strongly second D-bass on the Ross Rhythm. I have owned 8 Ross reels of several types and they are as good as any reel made for the money. Ross service can not be beat...period.

Now for the most important point (just a little above test casting the rod) make sure you buy a good quality line. There are several and the good ones retail for $50 and up. DO NOT save any money on line. Buy a cheaper reel first, then buy a cheaper rod if necessary, but buy a quality line, or wait until you can.

Outlaws
Angler
Angler

Post by Outlaws » Sat Nov 25, 2006 8:07 pm

Great suggestions. Thanks.

I realize that the action is where it bends on the rod, but will it have an effect on how long I leave my arm at 10 and 2 o'clock? I noticed when I was getting my lesson that I had a tendency to want to move my arm back and forth quicker than the line was going. Not much quicker...but a little. That might just be something I have to work on, but if that is also related to the rods action, then I thought I should point that out.

Another question....
Is the rods action strictly personal preference, or are there times you want a faster action and times you want a slower action?

I am not going to get a Hardy just yet. I still need waders and other stuff, and a $600 rod is just too much IMO for a noob. I know even $200-300 is a lot for me right off the bat, but I at least want something that I won't want to upgrade next year. :roll: Well...won't need to.

But now you got me all wondering.....I am starting to worry I am not gonna get the proper action. I dont' know of any places to test this stuff out first. I only got to try it at Sportsmans because they happened to have a demo setup in the parking lot that day. Its not something they do all the time.

The Temple Fork stuff looks good, but they dont say what their action is.

DUZBASS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by DUZBASS » Sat Nov 25, 2006 8:59 pm

backcast has some great points, the only reason I point anyone to any rod is from my experience in fly fishing sales, the rods I mentioned are the all arounders, the rods that are right in the middle of action, feel, general fishing rods. That being said I much prefer softer action rods for trout fishing and other situations where distance and wind arent huge factors but touch and gentle presentations are. For bass, pike, saltwater I really like the faster rods with more power in the butt section and more responsive tips.
I dont even own the 2 rods I mentioned (I have cast and fished them both though), but they seemed to be the most overall liked rods by beginners when I was selling them. If I had one choice for a 5wt I would get (and I have) the Winston LT 8'9" 5wt. It is a medium to med fast action, but it is as smooth as they come, it really is a joy to cast. My fav 6 wt is also a medium action rod the Winston 9' 6wt WT.

I am going to say this, some may not like it but whatever, DO NOT BUY A TEMPLE FORK ROD! These rods were made to lure people exactly like you, newbies with a little money to spend looking for a good deal, dont bite on this one. The rods are sub par and even at those prices they arent worth the money. The warranty is the same as all the other big boys, but what I know from being in the industry was that they actually make money from the $30 you send in for a warranty replacement. Their rods cost them less than $30 for them to assemble. If you have to, save for a better rod, but if it isnt possible than stick with the sage fli or one of the other mid range winstons or scotts. I would also not purchase a St. Croix. They used to be one of my fav companies, but they decided to update their technology and in my opinion ruined every one of their rod series. Believe or not one of fav rods of theirs was the cheap Imperials, they were soft medium action rods with great feel, a little heavy, but a great casting rod, they are gone now, otherwise I would say get one of those.

sorry for rambling, hope that helps a little

Outlaws
Angler
Angler

Post by Outlaws » Sat Nov 25, 2006 9:11 pm

So is 5 weight a good all around weight? What would 6 do that 5 couldn't and what would 5 do that 6 couldn't?

How about the Scott V2? Its only $200, but it sounds like something perfect for a beginner.
http://www.americanflyfishing.com/Fly+F ... +Rods.html

Outlaws
Angler
Angler

Post by Outlaws » Sat Nov 25, 2006 9:48 pm

Wow..... I just found the V2 at cabela's on sale for $115. They only have a 6 weight in though, the others are sold out. Any info on the 5 vs 6 weight would be good right now. They also have a 4 weight 8' two piece.

Is this a normal sale price or is this a deal?

Also, would a $150-200 reel seem out of place on that rod?

kbookert
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by kbookert » Sun Nov 26, 2006 6:48 am

AiRRUS makes a Fly Rod called the Tradition.

http://www.rodsbyairrus.com/rods.html

You may want to check into them. If the Fly Rods are as good as their other rods, you will have a rod for life!
If you do what you’ve always done, you’ll get what you’ve always gotten.