St Croix Legent Elite

Tips on tippets and more. Come share your secrets about the art of fly fishing or help fellow anglers immerse themselves in this escapist's technique.
Brookie
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

St Croix Legent Elite

Post by Brookie » Tue Apr 22, 2003 9:28 am

Hi,

I have been looking around at the new outfits for trout fishing
and was wondering if anyone have demo'ed or own a
St. Croix Legend Elite fly rod and what they think about it... anyone?

I know we can't ask for a review on every piece of tackle out there,
but... if possible, that would be great to see TackleTour do a review on the Legend Elite. :D

Thanks

Brookie

Buzz
TT Staff Angler
TT Staff Angler

Re: St Croix Legent Elite

Post by Buzz » Tue Apr 22, 2003 10:08 am

:lol:

St. Croix Legend Elite Rods are their newest line to hit the market. St. Croix has not known for thier manufacturing of higher end rods, but the legend elite series attempts to establish them as a contender with the high end fly rod manufacturers.

There is one unique feature in the construction of the blanks that I can't wait to test and that is the uneven taper. St Croix claims that it lets the rods cast farther and load better.

We shall see!!!

fishingirl
Angler
Angler

Post by fishingirl » Tue Apr 29, 2003 3:11 pm

Are the St. Croix reels any good? Or is it better to match up another reel to the Legend Elite rods? Any reccommendations?

Buzz
TT Staff Angler
TT Staff Angler

Post by Buzz » Tue Apr 29, 2003 5:26 pm

:lol:

St. Croix Legend Elite fly reels are much like the legend elite fly rods in that they are a new product that hasn't been tested or has a proven track record. The chances of it matching up well with you depends on your experience. If you are looking for a good beginning to intermediate reel the disc drag and stainless steel bearings in this reel will probably be good. THe features, price, and make-up of the reel passes the 1st eye test by my standards.

If you are very experienced, and target larger species of trout and bass, you might prefer to pay more and get a cork drag as found in Bauer or ABEL reels. watch out HIGH COSTS.

GOOD LUCK hope this helps.

fishingirl
Angler
Angler

Post by fishingirl » Wed Apr 30, 2003 12:46 am

Thanks Buzz,

I know the cork drags offer very good drag performnace when new but other anglers have told me that these reels are hard to maintain and sometimes the drags can be damaged by grit, or dry out... is this true?

thanks for all the help

Buzz
TT Staff Angler
TT Staff Angler

Post by Buzz » Thu May 01, 2003 4:21 pm

Cork drags do require a little more maintenence. The cork needs to be oiled occasionally to prevent drying and cracking. I have not noticed them to be hurt by dirt or debris.

I have owned cork drags for 4 years. I like them because of the consistent drag pressure, low start up inertia, and feel. If they are given thier due care which is minimal, you shouldn't have any problems.

Have you tried any or looked at any?? :?:

Joe_Rock
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Joe_Rock » Fri May 09, 2003 9:22 am

The Legend Elites are very light and surprisingly sturdy for such a lightweight rod. I don't own any but had a chance to cast a few of the saltwater models. Compared to the Legend Ultra, these rods are definitely faster.

For trout, I'd look elsewhere for a fly reel. At St. Croix prices, there are better reels available or cheaper reels that will get the job done.

bitesize
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by bitesize » Fri May 09, 2003 10:50 am

Joe, what reels might those be? Say for a beginner that's looking for something decent, but not too expensive, but won't outgrow.

Buzz
TT Staff Angler
TT Staff Angler

Post by Buzz » Wed May 14, 2003 8:21 pm

Galvan makes some nice disc drag reels an the Ross Cimarron might be a choice you would like to consider. :lol: