Sunglasses?

Anything and everything related to fishing tackle. If you cannot find the sub-category for your topic, go ahead and post it in here!
bassfishin14
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Sunglasses?

Post by bassfishin14 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:52 pm

Does anyone have any good info on quality sunglasses? I don't know very much on sunglasses. But I'm looking for a quality brand. Latey I've been using $20 polarized glasses from walmart, they arnt cutting it. I've been looking at some oakleys, costa del mars, wiley x, and some solar bats. I've had good luck with Oakley from snowboarding goggles. But not sure I there the same. My buddy has a pair of costa del mars and there extremely nice. But im not sure if the $200 price tag is in my limit.

I'd like to keep it from $100-170. But If the costa are worth it I'll spend the extra $30

If anyone can chime in on this it will be much appreciated!

And I was on the oakley website and it said under 1 pair of glasses that it was for "fishing specific"? Are there different kinds of polarized glasses? Or are they all the same?

Versatile Futurian
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Sunglasses?

Post by Versatile Futurian » Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:00 pm

I was the same way. Decided to get a quality pair of sunglasses. If you are going to pay the money for a good pair, you may as well get the best. Costa Del Mar. It is a night and day difference between the Costas and the $20 sunglasses. Those $20 glasses actually damage your eyes. Costas don't. They are amazing.

JDLaman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by JDLaman » Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:23 pm

X2. Costa Del Mar are definitely worth the money.

Bassmar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bassmar » Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:31 pm

x3 on the Costas. Green Mirror are excellent for sight fishing and all round wear. If you cannot afford the > $ 200 pairs with the 580 glass lenses then buy a pair with either 400 glass lenses or CR 39 lenses. Both are cheaper and in your price range. Either way you have the best sunglasses available

Tweedleyd
Angler
Angler

Post by Tweedleyd » Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:44 pm

I use Habervision , the guy that started this Company started Bolle an sold it then wanted to get back in the Business i like em they work well an for under $100 hard to beat em http://www.habervision.com/

georgeweeber
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by georgeweeber » Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:59 pm

I have a pair of costa 580 and they are well worth the extra money

Mattman
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew
Location: Fergus Falls, MN - Otterods - Hand Crafted High Performance Fishing Rods

Post by Mattman » Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:16 am

I purchased a kit of Oakley Half Jackets. Case, frames, 3 sets of polarized lenses. I like having multiple lenses for different conditions. I liked Oakley's multi-lens option better than anyone elses.

Liked them so much I wound up building another kit from parts for daily use. 2 sets of regular lenses, yellow lenses for shooting, clear lenses for safety glasses when I'm on a production floor.
Matt Davis
Otterods-High performance fishing rods

bassfishin14
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by bassfishin14 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:13 am

Thanks guys for all the quick responses! I think I'm gonna pull the trigger on the Costa's. Gotta head to cabelas and try some pairs on.

Ive been doing a lot of research in the past 24 hours and was noticing that some guys were saying there's different models. Like saltwater and freshwater? I really like the Caballito's cause I think they will fit my face better. Cause I have medium face. And I like that frame design. But I guess my question is can all costa del mars be used for fishing in either salt or fresh?

And what would be a good all around lens color? I'm thinking gray? Silver mirror? Blue mirror?

Again thanks guys!!

johnD
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by johnD » Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:23 am

I have costa 580g hammerheads and okaley monster dogs with VR28 lenses , my vote goes to the oakley's.There so light most of the time I forget I have them on , and I can see the fish better in the water with the VR28 lenses.

JDLaman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by JDLaman » Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:26 am

bassfishin14 wrote:But I guess my question is can all costa del mars be used for fishing in either salt or fresh?

And what would be a good all around lens color? I'm thinking gray? Silver mirror? Blue mirror?

Again thanks guys!!
Costa Del Mars can be used in either saltwater or freshwater environments. I use my Costas about 90% of the time for saltwater fishing and my Costas have seen their fair share of saltwater spray with absolutely no problems.

As for color choices, I have both gray and copper based lenses and I prefer the copper based lenses for sight fishing as well as all around use. Both the Silver Mirror and Green Mirror lenses are copper based in the 580 lense. The Blue Mirror are gray based.

lastdrift
Angler
Angler

Post by lastdrift » Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:12 pm

costas are good but have very bad warranty rep. i am a fan of raybans and OKLs.

bassfishin14
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by bassfishin14 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:25 pm

for the oakley guys is the a difference in the regular polarized compared to the "fishing specific" polarized? i read on the oakley website that there is two different kinds.

vArm
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by vArm » Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:56 pm

I got the Smith V TI after TT awarded them an Editor's Choice!
They're super light weight, have 3 great colored/interchangeable lens options, a solid hard case and fit very comfortably, even on my Roman nose.
However they are $9 over your price range. :P
MegabassUSA.com

johnD
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by johnD » Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:31 am

bassfishin14 wrote:for the oakley guys is the a difference in the regular polarized compared to the "fishing specific" polarized? i read on the oakley website that there is two different kinds.
Fishing Specific Oakleys help you spot the fish in the water, if your sight fishing or want to see the fish in the water ,you want fishing specific.

bassfishin14
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by bassfishin14 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:16 am

what i want them for is both spotting fish and for protection. and also since im limited to shore fishing only id like to have them for spotting stumps, trees, boulders, ect when im walking the bank.