veterans needing to re-qualify???

Anything and everything related to fishing tackle. If you cannot find the sub-category for your topic, go ahead and post it in here!
NJ Jigman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

veterans needing to re-qualify???

Post by NJ Jigman » Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:27 am

Before the crash, someone had started a topic about how the old veterans denny b, clunn, biffle, grigsby : and a number of others should have to re-qualify to stay on tour. I think its funny that there's been at least 1 vet in the top 12 in each tourney this year including some winners. these anglers made the tour what it is today and still posses the skills to kick some bass as shown this year. what cha think? :laugh1:

5bites
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: veterans needing to re-qualify???

Post by 5bites » Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:55 am

If they fall out of the top 75 then yes they should. I do think though that their is something about classic wins or a certain amount of classics fished then an angler is grandfathered in. Don't hold me to that though. Their definitely should be a cut off otherwise it's not the elite series it's the flw. I do think that the true veterans should be allowed to fish regardless of the cutoff number after meeting certain guidelines.

So yes they should qualify by being in the top 50-75 or qualify by their achievements. They should still have some means of earning the right to stay after so long though. Otherwise they could stink it up but fish forever and be holding some up and comers back.

damian_megabass
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by damian_megabass » Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:14 am

I think they should have to no matter what. Yeah, they made it what it is today but that's everywhere, fishing and non fishing wise! You snooze you lose, simple as that. Gotta keep your game up and if you don't you fall off. Wouldn't be fair if newer guys have to work their butt off to stay on tour but then these vets can stay on tour just because they are vets.... Just my opinon though. 8-[
I will NEVER sell another 3:16 swimbait again!

steve1206
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by steve1206 » Sat Jun 18, 2011 5:28 am

They have "exemptions" in place to re-qualify and this is earned through years of accomplishment. When veterans get to stay on tour (without exemptions), they are not taking someone else's place, but filling a less than full field, when "up-and-comers" say no to a tour spot--which is usually based on money. That is an entirely different topic altogether. If you dont like "pay-to-play", hate the game, not the players.

Side note: Jerry McKinnis has hinted at tougher requalification standarrds and a smaller field in the future.

Another side note: FLW has its issues with pay to play and less than qualiufied anglers fishing the tour. Several reasons for this, inlcuding trying to fill a full field during a down economy/lack of team deals in late 2009, early 2010 as well as refusing to guarantee team deals to anglers prior to 2011 registration (Micahel Bennett)...

olamagic
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by olamagic » Sun Jun 19, 2011 3:31 am

Hey leave the old guys alone , their the ones that got the whole process started. Some of you seem to lose sight of that. [-X