River Monsters vs The Hunt for Big Fish

Anything and everything related to fishing tackle. If you cannot find the sub-category for your topic, go ahead and post it in here!
goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

River Monsters vs The Hunt for Big Fish

Post by goldrod » Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:48 pm

I watch fishing shows when I can. I really love the Hunt for Big Fish but River Monster seem to aggitate me. I dont know why he never uses braid or if the rods are just under powered , maybe its how they seem to draw the show out but its annoying. What's your take?
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

518bassin
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: River Monsters vs The Hunt for Big Fish

Post by 518bassin » Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:57 pm

You must be watching a different River Monsters than me. He uses braid all the time in fact on I beleive the Africa Demon Fish episode he mentions that he has to use 80 lb. braid. I like watching River Monsters because I think the guy is crazy like when he jumped into the nets with those huge Amazon fish. I cant think of the name of them right now.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:08 pm

Currently I am watching the lost episodes. I never really watch the show so maybe I am not giving J. Wade a far shake. The plane went down in the jungle but everyone lived in one cut, that was amazing to me. I would still be in the plane.
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

518bassin
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by 518bassin » Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:57 pm

goldrod wrote:Currently I am watching the lost episodes. I never really watch the show so maybe I am not giving J. Wade a far shake. The plane went down in the jungle but everyone lived in one cut, that was amazing to me. I would still be in the plane.
The only reason I know is because I just started watching the show a couple of months ago on Netflix streaming. I watch an episode every now and again. I like Larry a lot to though. Along with his show I always watch videos of him on YouTube. He has a cool one where he shows how he makes a foam core lure. I reccomend it you would probably enjoy it. :)

Sonicx360
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Sonicx360 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:25 am

I like Hunt For Big Fish better. River Monsters is way too sensationalistic for my likings. I only watch River Monsters to look at the fish and get he info about them though.
Last edited by Sonicx360 on Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mhood
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mhood » Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:33 am

River Monsters = 1st 90% dramatics + last 10% actually catching the fish. I get all I want from River Monsters in the last 10%. I prefer The Hunt for Big Fish.
ORANGE Reels Rule!!!
- Lord Wisecracker

Shimano-Or-Nothing
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Shimano-Or-Nothing » Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:19 am

I think you hit the nail on the head with River Monsters. It's way too drawn out.

ecu daniel 14
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by ecu daniel 14 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:26 pm

mhood wrote:River Monsters = 1st 90% dramatics + last 10% actually catching the fish. I get all I want from River Monsters in the last 10%. I prefer The Hunt for Big Fish.
x2 on that.

My favorite is still Spanish Fly.
stress-what happens between fishing trips

PittsBoy
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by PittsBoy » Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:21 pm

HFTBF all way down! River Monster is not a real fishing show and the fact they are trying to make it looks like some kind of scientific stuff (which is not) really bothers me.
http://1world2fish.wordpress.com/

team510
Angler
Angler

Post by team510 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:11 am

the river monster episode when he was going after the snakeheads gave me a heart attack!!!!!

when he was throwing a top water and kept missing the fish!!setting it too fast! and his limp wrist hook sets! i could barley wacth that madness! my wife was asking me what was worng! i told her and she just shook her head at me!

cjtoad
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by cjtoad » Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:48 am

mhood wrote:River Monsters = 1st 90% dramatics + last 10% actually catching the fish. I get all I want from River Monsters in the last 10%. I prefer The Hunt for Big Fish.
3X if I want drama I'll watch a drama.

soua0363
Angler
Angler

Post by soua0363 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 2:42 pm

I like watching both. River Monsters is more educative (not really a word :D ) while Hunt for Big Fish is more imformative for the every day fisherman. I like the fact that he goes after fishes that I have never seen or heard of before.

The thing I like about Hunt for Big Fish is Larry does a good job showing how he fishes a particular bait that I would never thought about doing. For example, I have never thought of ripping a prop bait as hard as he does until I saw him doing it. I also like the fact that he shows how he makes his baits.

mtowner23
Angler
Angler

Post by mtowner23 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:39 am

What channel is the Hunt for Big Fish on? I've seen river monsters and there are some episodes that are good and some that I can do without. I'd like to check out the other show though.

Sonicx360
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Sonicx360 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:51 am

mtowner23 wrote:What channel is the Hunt for Big Fish on?
NBC Sports Network, formerly known as Versus.

emjay
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by emjay » Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:32 pm

both help me waste time when i'm bored.