I think I'm done buying non new reels anywhere but TT

Anything and everything related to fishing tackle. If you cannot find the sub-category for your topic, go ahead and post it in here!
Buck2thPerch
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: I think I'm done buying non new reels anywhere but TT

Post by Buck2thPerch » Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:47 pm

*grabs some popcorn*......... :mrgreen:
Marine General Staff - Duluth MN
**What is fishing?**

bstuckey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by bstuckey » Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:56 pm

Buck2thPerch wrote:I have not experienced any bad purchases, trades, or sales on TT. Of all the fishing forums out there, TT by far has been one of the best and now I am just a regular joe here. I seldom visit any other sites in the past 3 yrs. Everything I want to know about the latest or the oldest tackle...IS RIGHT HERE. From original price to market value to anything. This makes me feel more at ease when purchasing, trading, or selling. There are more knowledgeable people on TT. And I agree, everyone here so far, has been very honest and helpful.

Off topic...
I have been here for a while now that whenever I see orange, all I think about is an old wise cracking guy holding in one hand a fish and an orange pixy on a rod in the other. Am I going nuts or what? ](*,) ](*,)

My wife claims TT is a Tackle Facebook.....*sigh*.
Not old... lets say experienced... :big grin:

taylor5877
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by taylor5877 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:32 pm

Well, the only thing positive about getting a clunker is how gratifying it is when you bring it back from the dead.

trav
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by trav » Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:41 pm

taylor5877 wrote:Well, the only thing positive about getting a clunker is how gratifying it is when you bring it back from the dead.
Agreed, I got a clunker Alphas Ito 103L of that auction sight for real cheap, put 45 minutes of cleaning and polishing into it and now its one of my favorite reels. I got a Curado D in very good shape there too, but it didnt need any work at all (Thanks) :D

taylor5877
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by taylor5877 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:26 am

Yeah, I can't take all the credit for that one...all I ever did was swap the gears (already in good shape anyway) and oil the bearings and add the power handle (I used it for A-rigs like it was). The one I currently have for sale on ebay came spooled with braid in pics and was a guide's reel (so I knew that thing was gone; those deals don't really bother me), but all it needed was a gearset to be new again too. I just happened to have one in mind for it when I purchased it for $65 shipped...

That reel you have does have some mojo though. In my only trip to get it out in a boat, my BIL and I caught 37, with 6 fish over 6, and I had a 9.2. I also caught a 24.5 incher with it on a spook from the bank in my home lake on it as well.

Huskybass101
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Huskybass101 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:57 am

I haven't had a single bad transaction with fishing gear. As long as the buyer is up front about the condition of any item, and the price is good with both parties, things should go smoothly.

I had a guy from Illinois email me yesterday. He had found a long discontinued popper that he knew I liked at a swap meet. He is sending me the popper and I am sending him a favorite bait in return. Its a win-win and how these boards should work.

Buck2thPerch
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Buck2thPerch » Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:52 am

Huskybass101 wrote:Its a win-win and how these boards should work.
I do agree with you, In a perfect world that is how things should work. But, the world is not perfect.
Marine General Staff - Duluth MN
**What is fishing?**

dmat
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by dmat » Sun Mar 18, 2012 5:47 pm

I agree...

I have had maybe 7-8 transactions on TT over the years and never had a bad one.

Bought a couple of used high end reels and could not have been happier with the condition or how smooth the tranactions occured.

I usually like to only deal local and in person but will not hesitate to deal on TT.

-Don

taylor5877
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by taylor5877 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:56 am

](*,) found another bad bearing in one of my fuegos and on another of my fuegos the spool inductor doesn't move out, so the reel lacks some braking.

I just can't catch a break recently...one of those reels was from the same seller as 2 other bad reels that I had to fix.

](*,)

legendaryyaj
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by legendaryyaj » Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:19 pm

Honestly I think it's a common Fuego problem. I had one that had the same problems but I could never figure it out til I kept reading about it. It was so finicky and sometimes would cast fine then the next it was a total mess.

I really can't believe you like those reels because IMO they aren't that good. You should really look into TD-Z's.

taylor5877
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by taylor5877 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:49 pm

I just got a TDZ and it is very nice, but the Fuego uses the same basic tooling.

I did replace one of my fuego's spool with a Zillion SHLA's and the other reel was just like 2 others I got from the same seller so it's hard to say anything was wrong with the reel.

new2BC4bass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by new2BC4bass » Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:21 pm

I've bought off here, bbc, ttf and bassresource...all without any problems. I did have one reel arrive with one side of the thumb bar broken where it went around the metal pin. Can't blame the seller because it was obvious that something heavy had been thrown on one corner of the box. Would have had to be packaged in a metal or strong wooden frame to have avoided damage. I don't expect a seller to go that far. :mrgreen:

I find most people to be very honest. Of course there is always that one bad apple making it look bad for everyone else. I decided long ago that I would maintain an attitude of trust towards others until proven wrong. I did have one member steal the spool out of my Type R reel. He was kind enough to replace it with a working model from a different reel, tho, so it could still be used. However, he has been banned from at least 3 sites I know of including here, bbc and bassresource.

I doubt my name is on the good seller/bad seller list as I've never asked a seller to post a comment about our dealings. (I've only bought.) Therefore that listing is of limited value to me as I assume there are many more like myself.

new2BC4bass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by new2BC4bass » Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:28 pm

legendaryyaj wrote:Honestly I think it's a common Fuego problem. I had one that had the same problems but I could never figure it out til I kept reading about it. It was so finicky and sometimes would cast fine then the next it was a total mess.

I really can't believe you like those reels because IMO they aren't that good. You should really look into TD-Z's.
I've got 3 Fuegos. No problem with any of them. I personally like them a lot. I also have a couple TD-Z's...an Alphas ito and 103HL Type R. I'd like a few more Z's and even X's. I'd like a few more Fuegos, too. :big grin:

catch_em
Angler
Angler

Post by catch_em » Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:57 am

taylor5877 wrote:I just got a TDZ and it is very nice, but the Fuego uses the same basic tooling.

I did replace one of my fuego's spool with a Zillion SHLA's and the other reel was just like 2 others I got from the same seller so it's hard to say anything was wrong with the reel.
Glad you like the zillion reels :)

taylor5877
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by taylor5877 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:21 am

Yeah, the 2 SHLA's I got from you were perfect...good as new to me.

I've not been one to like high speed reels in the past, because I just don't throw a lot of plastics/hook setting lures vs. how many moving baits I throw. And if I'm not using a reel much it gets dumped. I don't like how most high speed get a little strained when throwing moving baits with some resistance.

On the 7:1 and 7.3:1 zillions, I have no problems whatsoever with lack of torque on the retrieves of anything I throw regularly. I feel like I could use the 6.3:1 reels for deep cranking without it being an issue even.

I've been really impressed with the Zillions, Fuegos (I chalk my reels problems up to the previous users), and the TDZ. I've definitely jumped off the pile of people saying Daiwa's are overpriced (Zillion in particular). Because when you stop and think about it, what reel is really better for the same price...there really isn't one now that the Chronarch D is discontinued.