Waterproof storage boxes

Anything and everything related to fishing tackle. If you cannot find the sub-category for your topic, go ahead and post it in here!
joeim8
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Waterproof storage boxes

Post by joeim8 » Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:18 pm

Guys,

Fishing erie a lot I am looking into putting most of my boat gear in waterproof storage boxes.
Can anyone recommend some good storage boxes/bins.

This is not so much for tackle as it is for things like tools/props/rain suit.
Some bigger things so I am hoping to get some bigger boxes

I know plano makes waterproof tackle storage boxes and I might get those as well but I wanted to basically get everything else in my boat into waterproof bins as well.

Thanks for any help.

518bassin
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Waterproof storage boxes

Post by 518bassin » Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:43 pm

Bass Pro and Cabelas sell the dry storage bags in a bunch of different sizes. You could also check out EMS.

Seph
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Seph » Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:41 pm

Yes dry BAGS for gear are the best thing I have seen for sheer waterproof ability, and they aren't terribly expensive. Additionally, they are available in any size you may need. The really good ones have a valve on them so they are easier to compress and let the air out when you roll them down to compress.

Many storage bags that advertise waterproofness will take on water if fully submerged. In my book most of this stuff is water resistant. If you close something fully and it doesn't hold an air pocket then it likely won't keep water out.

I discovered, through a friend who uses them for waterproof storage, that COOLERS are about the best thing I have ever seen, hinged tops with a built in gasket ring and a fully closing lid. My friend uses a BIG cooler on a bay boat for all of his dry storage. Maps, PFDs, fire extinguisher, rain jackets, everything... There is even enough room to put a small soft sided cooler in as well to keep drinks and food cool. Coolers are easy to come by too...

srw
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by srw » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:59 pm

Another vote for dry bags. You have to be careful using them with sharp objects but even that can be mitigated with proper packaging. If there is one thing I would suggest it would be if you go that route, folllow the instructions. The fold is critical and if done wrong, can lead to leaks. I have literally hundreds of days use in whitewater with my bags and have never had seepage. I have also seen folks who rushed their packing end up with a damp sleeping bag or jacket due to poor packing.

You can also find dry bags on line at REI, NRS, and Clavey to name a few sites not yet mentioned. Personally, I dont like ones with valves since it is one more thing that might fail. Then again, that may just be me being cheap :)

best of luck with your search,

srw

518bassin
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by 518bassin » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:24 am

Yeah REI is another place I forgot to mention. I buy a lot of clothes from them. They always have sales going of some sort.

mike_honcho
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by mike_honcho » Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:20 am

joeim8 wrote:Guys,

Fishing erie a lot I am looking into putting most of my boat gear in waterproof storage boxes.

I know plano makes waterproof tackle storage boxes and I might get those as well but I wanted to basically get everything else in my boat into waterproof bins as well.

Thanks for any help.

The Plano waterproof boxes are great. I fish out of a small boat so when the water gets choppy my stuff gets wet. I bought the Plano boxes and I can keep all my tackle try. However, if you use a bait you should let it dry before putting it back in the box or it will hold the moisture inside the box. I also really like the three latch closures. They have a very tight seal and you stuff will stay in place. I threw out all my old boxes and put all my tackle in the waterproof ones.

Tokugawa
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Tokugawa » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:06 am

joeim8 wrote:Guys,

Thanks for any help.
The Plano waterproof ones are nice.

I put a desiccant pack in them to help with moisture reduction.

facelessnewsouth
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by facelessnewsouth » Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:21 am

Seph wrote:I discovered, through a friend who uses them for waterproof storage, that COOLERS are about the best thing I have ever seen, hinged tops with a built in gasket ring and a fully closing lid. My friend uses a BIG cooler on a bay boat for all of his dry storage. Maps, PFDs, fire extinguisher, rain jackets, everything... There is even enough room to put a small soft sided cooler in as well to keep drinks and food cool. Coolers are easy to come by too...
This, especially for tools/props. You can put seperate bins inside to organize things, and if its got a gasket ring with latch closure, even if your boat capsizes it's likely to survive. For smaller stuff, like rain suits, phones, and paperwork, dry bags work wonders.

joeim8
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by joeim8 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:10 am

Thanks guys

Any cooler brands in general?
I know some of you mentioned ones with a gasket seal and latches any idea what brand may make these?

I'll probably look into picking up a couple if I can find a few small enough to store in one of my rid lockers or something.

Thanks guys

Dabluz
Angler
Angler

Post by Dabluz » Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:11 pm

There are lots of waterproof boxes and bags that can be used for storing.

Last year, I bought a waterproof satchel....looks like a large soft tackle bag. I found it in the marine department of a large surface outlet. It's a good 30 inches long, about 20 inches wide and about 20 inches deep. I needed a tackle bag for items like reels, fishing accessories, hand towels, fishing licence, spare clothes, toilet paper, snacks, cigarettes, MP3, GPS, flashlights....all sorts of goodies that normally won't fit into any of the compartment style plastic boxes that we usually use for lures.

The bag is completely waterproof and even the air inside the bag will not come out. The bag has a hard plastic bottom that also has 4 sides that come up about 2 inches. This is great when it rains hard and water accumulates in the bottom of my small aluminum boat. Inside the large bright orange satchel, there are pockets to put money, permit etc etc and they also seal up to prevent any water from seeping in even if the satchel is open. It has a large removable and adjustable strap for slinging over the shoulder as well as a main handle and a handle at each end.

Normally the satchel sells for 50 bucks but they are now being liquidated at half price.

I may have to buy another one....it's getting to a point where I have to haul 3 soft sided tackle boxes that hold up to 6 large plano compartment boxes just for a day's fishing. Luckily, I don't have to always haul my fly fishing gear. If I'm going to do some fly fishing, well....I have one more soft sided tackle bag plus rods and fishing vest while the fly reels go into the big orange satchel.

Do I have too much tackle....maybe but when I think about it, I use so many different techniques (casting, still fishing with bait, trolling, lead core, bottom bouncing, jigging, surface lures, large minnow baits, medium minnow baits, deep diving minnow baits, buzz baits, wobblers, 3 way rigs, baitcasters, spinning reels, fly reels loaded with different floating or sinking lines, spinners, small minnow lures etc etc. Where I live, I fish waters that have walleye, brook trout, landlocked salmon, lake trout and pike.

It's easier and faster to just buy another tackle bag full of boxes than trying to reduce the tackle itself.

I don't lose much tackle. I'm 65 and I have stuff that I bought when I was a kid plus stuff I got from my dad and other dead relatives. Yes....there is a lot of extra tackle I leave at home.

facelessnewsouth
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by facelessnewsouth » Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:32 pm

Yeti Coolers are great, but super expensive. I did find this on amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Engel-UC19-Quart- ... B001OTEXFO

It looks like it would do the job. I'm sure there are several other brands out there.

Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Teal101 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:26 am

If you plan on using the Plano waterproof boxes for terminal tackle you will be disappointed. I was going to use one for my salmon/steelhead terminal tackle in my wading bag. Got it all loaded up, put it in the bag and noticed there is a HUGE gap above the dividers below the lid. All my hooks and beads went everywhere. For tackle its good, hooks/sinkers/bead, forget about it.
I like TD-Z's
Instagram: teal_101_jdm