Tools upgrade - ie pliers, scale, culling, etc

Anything and everything related to fishing tackle. If you cannot find the sub-category for your topic, go ahead and post it in here!
78Staff
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Tools upgrade - ie pliers, scale, culling, etc

Post by 78Staff » Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:08 pm

Looking to upgrade some of my fishing tools... I have some generic stuff ie BPS, Rapala, etc but looking to upgrade...

I understand Boca is pretty much the scale standard, but anything decent at a lower price point?

What is everyone using for pliers, etc. I had some BPS brand ones but the grips became loose and twisted all around. Picked up some aluminum ones on sale at a local shop, Calcutta I think? But they are at an 45* angle design and somewhat quirky to use. Van Stal's are the premium I suppose but really just looking for a solid set without breaking the bank... something like http://www.basspro.com/Offshore-Angler- ... 891/142773 possibly?

If I could pick up a decent scale and pliers/hook remover for under $100 I would be pretty happy I reckon.

Also going to pickup the ardent culling system unless there is any reason not too...seems like a great system.

froteur
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Tools upgrade - ie pliers, scale, culling, etc

Post by froteur » Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:16 pm

pliers and snipper from boomerang. i have an x-tools scale but that may be overkill. balance beam and measuring board from bass pro.

oh, i don't have it, because it came out after i had already bought my system, but the ardent system is great!

njbasscat
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by njbasscat » Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:29 am

I know the Boga Grip is expensive but it is one of the best built peices of equipment I have bought in the last 10 years or so. I have had mine for over 10 years and it works as well as the day I got it. That's a bargin as far as I'm concerned. I also have a pair of Rapala split ring pliers that are 6 or 7 years old and have never failed.
Last edited by njbasscat on Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

curls
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by curls » Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:03 am

I have the P-Line Adaro aluminum pliers -- the BPS "Offshore Angler" ones you link to are a carbon copy of them I think. The P-Line ones are GREAT. Highly recommended. TackleTour reviewed them last year or maybe the year prior... look it up!
I got the P-Line ones for about $29 here in Canada. They cut through 70# Samurai Braid like butter, and the jaws on the pliers themselves are the perfect length for freshwater fish including big northern pike that occasionally mistake my jig for food.

facelessnewsouth
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by facelessnewsouth » Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:13 am

For a cheap set of pliers, those Offshore anglers are pretty stellar. If you're looking for some higher end pliers for freshwater, Fish Pond makes some pretty nice pliers that are a bit (a very little bit) cheaper than the Van Stal's...

As far as lip grip scales go, the Boga Grips (not Boca...Boca makes bearings) are still the gold standard, and will last you a life time. BUY THE FLOAT TO TIE ON THE END. More people drop these things in the water than break them.

If you're looking for a digital scale for tournaments, Rapala makes a pretty nice one that comes with culling balls, and lets you store the weights for up to 5 fish, so it's easy to cull and see your total weight. I have also heard good things about that Ardent culling system.

78Staff
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 78Staff » Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:07 am

Thanks all, confirming what I probably knew (or should have known :) ) all along.

Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Teal101 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:22 am

facelessnewsouth wrote:For a cheap set of pliers, those Offshore anglers are pretty stellar. If you're looking for some higher end pliers for freshwater, Fish Pond makes some pretty nice pliers that are a bit (a very little bit) cheaper than the Van Stal's...

As far as lip grip scales go, the Boga Grips (not Boca...Boca makes bearings) are still the gold standard, and will last you a life time. BUY THE FLOAT TO TIE ON THE END. More people drop these things in the water than break them.

If you're looking for a digital scale for tournaments, Rapala makes a pretty nice one that comes with culling balls, and lets you store the weights for up to 5 fish, so it's easy to cull and see your total weight. I have also heard good things about that Ardent culling system.
Funny this thread pops up, I was just starting to upgrade my tools as well.

I will be getting the Rapala 15lb tourney scale with the culling system when TW has their next sale. Everything I've read on it says its quite accurate and I like how it stores fish weights. Very cool looking scale, and not too expensive.

Next I'm looking for a good set of Pliers with a split ring tool. I've always changed slit rings with the blade of a dull knife and my fingernails :lol: [-X Looking at the Adaro juniors. Also looking at the 11" BPS XPS pliers for toothy critters.
I like TD-Z's
Instagram: teal_101_jdm

Texas_bullet
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Texas_bullet » Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:48 pm

Texas Tackle (patented) for dedicated split ring pliers. I have many years of good service plus no rust. I have two different designs....maybe there was a design change after I bought the first pair. My Rapala digital scale works fine.
TB

Seph
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Seph » Sat Mar 31, 2012 2:56 pm

Teal101 wrote: Next I'm looking for a good set of Pliers with a split ring tool.
I use one set of pliers for PLYING and split ring pliers for split RINGING. These are two tools in my book.
I am very fond of a pair of bent handle Boone split ring pliers I have. The bent handle makes it very comfortable for me to hold the rings open and it places your body in a position where it is very easy to use your other hand to maneuver the hooks you are replacing

http://www.google.com/search?tbm=isch&h ... 9l0.frgbld.

Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Teal101 » Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:51 am

I did end up getting the BPS 11" pliers during their classics sale so now I'm going to be getting a pair of dedicated split ring pliers. Thanks for the input guys.
I like TD-Z's
Instagram: teal_101_jdm