Drift socks

Anything and everything related to fishing tackle. If you cannot find the sub-category for your topic, go ahead and post it in here!
joeim8
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Drift socks

Post by joeim8 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:43 pm

Hello all
I was going to go with 2 48" cabelas socks but decided to go with 1 50" instead to get a feel for it.
I also purchased the cabelas harness/buoy for it.

The product is on its way so I haven't got it to check it out yet but I have heard several people mention floating/Stretchy line when using a sock can you please let me know where I can purchase this at prefferably online and how much to get for 1 sock?
I have also heard people say they like a rope with a loop at the end that ties off to the cleat so that a metal locking latch thingy can be added for ease of us any ideas/

Basically I'm just looking for the best and easiest way to handle a sock.

Thanks for any info.

fishinjim
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Drift socks

Post by fishinjim » Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:47 pm

A length of rope tied to the carabiner will come in handy if your cleat is not big enough to accommodate only the carabiner itself.
I have the same cabelas harness that I use with my Basscat. I usually use one of the pop out cleats that are in line with the console. Those are an easy fit with the carabiner. The bow and stern cleats are a trickier fit and I tell myself I'm going to add some rope every time I end up using them, but I always forget. lol.

Don't know what kind of boat you have or what kind of wind you fish in, but if it is a bass boat in 10 to 20 mph winds, I think you'll be more than fine with a 50" sock.
I use one Cabelas 38" sock with my 20ft boat. If I were to buy a replacement, I would think about going up to the 44" size, but the one I have now does a good job. Too good of a job sometimes.

joeim8
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by joeim8 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:59 am

Thanks for the tips jim.
Yeah I should probably mention I have a 19.5 ranger and started fishing Erie a lot the last few years.

Seph
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Seph » Sat Mar 31, 2012 2:42 pm

I see you already made your purchase, so I may be to late to suggest looking for the drift socks that have and adjustable sized hole. These really help you dial in the drift speed.