Need suggestion for gloves

Anything and everything related to fishing tackle. If you cannot find the sub-category for your topic, go ahead and post it in here!
beezy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Need suggestion for gloves

Post by beezy » Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:01 am

I'm in the market looking for some fishing gloves that I can use during the colder months. Currently, the only gloves I use are Glacier Gloves found below:

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Glacier_ ... 007GP.html

I love them, but they are not the ideal gloves for icy cold weather or wind conditions. Therefore, I am looking for a pair of gloves that I can wear all day. It must be comfortable to the point that it doesn't interfere with my casts. I want it to be water resistant as well because I sometimes do bait and wait and I don't want to take off my gloves when it's super cold to have to put on the bait because it is icy cold and I just don't want to do it. So if you guys have any suggestions, please help me.

Thanks

Mattman
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew
Location: Fergus Falls, MN - Otterods - Hand Crafted High Performance Fishing Rods

Re: Need suggestion for gloves

Post by Mattman » Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:24 pm

My go-to glove is Simms fingerless fleece with Windstopper fabric. I have a few pairs of them and wear them hunting and fishing.

beezy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by beezy » Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:37 pm

Mattman wrote:My go-to glove is Simms fingerless fleece with Windstopper fabric. I have a few pairs of them and wear them hunting and fishing.
Thanks for replying mattman. I am kind of on a budget and would try to get the best bang for my buck gloves that there is. Simms products are top-notch but quite expensive. But is that glove waterproof?

KlingerNOK
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by KlingerNOK » Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:00 pm

My faves are from Seirus. The All Weather glove is great for cooler weather, while the Softshell gloves are for colder weather. The thing I like the most is how form fitting they are, so you don't lose much dexterity.

drenner43
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by drenner43 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:24 am

I was wondering the same thing. I'll look into some of these suggestions also!

johns
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by johns » Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:05 pm

I tried the seirus gloves. The form fitting part is great. The waterproof part doesn't work, esp for the hand palming the reel where the water comes off the line. Now I use a thin pair of firm grip gloves with a pair of xl latex gloves over them. Wind and water proof and thin enough to thumb my baitcasters. The only problem is you have to keep the latex away from the hooks and when lipping the bass the latex will rip. At 5.99 a 100 for the latex gloves and using the firmgrip gloves anyhow it is very cheap. I take a couple xtra latex gloves with me incase they rip and they are also handy to have around the house for doing dirty jobs.

Mattman
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew
Location: Fergus Falls, MN - Otterods - Hand Crafted High Performance Fishing Rods

Post by Mattman » Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:08 pm

beezy wrote: I am kind of on a budget and would try to get the best bang for my buck gloves that there is. Simms products are top-notch but quite expensive.
Its not coincidence or being filthy rich (because I'm not) that I have several pairs of them. They're my favorite and I wouldn't be without them. Just like a good set of rain gear, you get what you pay for.

beezy wrote: But is that glove waterproof?
No. A fingerless waterproof glove is completely pointless in my opinion anyway. Between your hands sweating and water running in the open fingers, you just trap all that moisture in the glove and feel clammy and even colder.

I live in Minnesota and these are go to gloves for me year round. Chilly summer mornings to keep the wind off all the to ice fishing, and then back again. I hate wearing gloves but when you have to, you have to and exposed fingers are a must. When its finally too cold for open fingers I put on a thin pair of polypropelene gloves underneath the Simms gloves and that makes all the difference in the world. If it gets too cold after that, I shouldn't be out at all anyway.

beezy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by beezy » Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:05 pm

:lol: :lol: thanks for the reply mattman. And please don't take it as an insult in regards to my comments about Simms products. I just want something budget-minded but it has to be waterproof and I don't believe there is one. At least not for my liking or comfortable to fish with all day long. I like the suggestions that were presented and might just invest in some fingerless gloves with the mitt to cover my fingers in case it gets too cold. Thanks again to everyone who gave insight. I appreciate it. :D

tt350z
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by tt350z » Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:53 pm

johns wrote:I tried the seirus gloves. The form fitting part is great. The waterproof part doesn't work, esp for the hand palming the reel where the water comes off the line. Now I use a thin pair of firm grip gloves with a pair of xl latex gloves over them. Wind and water proof and thin enough to thumb my baitcasters. The only problem is you have to keep the latex away from the hooks and when lipping the bass the latex will rip. At 5.99 a 100 for the latex gloves and using the firmgrip gloves anyhow it is very cheap. I take a couple xtra latex gloves with me incase they rip and they are also handy to have around the house for doing dirty jobs.
Seirus has 2 different gloves that look similar. You're using the all weather version which is not waterproof.

You need to try the xtreme version which is the waterproof one. I use my extremes for ice fishing when i dont want to wear gauntlets.

Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Teal101 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:14 pm

I use the Simms fingerless windstopper gloves with the foldover mitts. They arent waterproof, but they stay warm even when wet. It;s also nice to be able to keep 1-2 fingers out of the mitt while casting while the rest are toasty warm inside. Great gloves. I use em year round from Steelhead to Bass.

Mattman
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew

Post by Mattman » Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:48 pm

beezy wrote: And please don't take it as an insult in regards to my comments about Simms products.
I don't

I tried for years to get by on the cheap. When it comes to items of comfort that can keep you fishing/hunting longer, like rain gear, I won't scrimp any longer. I've spent more money on crappy stuff that does a poor job because I've had to buy it a hundred times over than I would have if I would have just shelled out the money for the good stuff in the first place.

beezy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by beezy » Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:07 pm

Mattman wrote:
beezy wrote: And please don't take it as an insult in regards to my comments about Simms products.
I don't

I tried for years to get by on the cheap. When it comes to items of comfort that can keep you fishing/hunting longer, like rain gear, I won't scrimp any longer. I've spent more money on crappy stuff that does a poor job because I've had to buy it a hundred times over than I would have if I would have just shelled out the money for the good stuff in the first place.

So it still holds true then that "you get what you pay for." Thanks for the replies. I guess it's time to invest in some better gloves then. Thanks guys.

fishsmart
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by fishsmart » Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:00 am

Ditto on the Simms half finger gloves. I wadefish with these in the winter time on the Texas coast and they are very functional.

Charles

RIK
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by RIK » Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:24 am

Mattman's right on. The Simms fingerless gloves are great. The key though, is having dry back ups to put on when a pair gets wet. Cold and dry is tolerable, cold and wet is misery. Like Matt, I live in MN, so if you fish year round you're dealing with cold weather more often than you aren't. So good gloves are a good investment.

That having been said... If you don't want to go that route (which I understand, they aren't cheap) what I did for years was have multiple pairs of military surplus fingerless wool gloves. I'd just change gloves when one got wet, and toss the wet ones in a bag. You can get them at surplus stores for about $2/pair, so I'd honestly have a dozen or more pairs in the boat every time I went out. Keep a bag of dry gloves, a bag of wet gloves, and a few hand towels to dry your hands off when you change gloves and you can keep your hands warm pretty well. I'd dry the wet gloves on my dash with the heater between lakes, so my truck smelled like a wet sheep between September and May.

One really great tip for keeping hands warm especially if it's windy is to put on a pair of surgical gloves under your wool gloves. Keeps your hands dry and amazingly warm, but you can still fish with them and feel things almost as well as having no gloves at all. You can buy them by the box full at any pharmacy. When I cast for muskies in late October into November, they're a must.

Mattman
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew

Post by Mattman » Sat Dec 22, 2012 5:36 am

RIK wrote:
One really great tip for keeping hands warm especially if it's windy is to put on a pair of surgical gloves under your wool gloves. Keeps your hands dry and amazingly warm, but you can still fish with them and feel things almost as well as having no gloves at all.
Another tip with the surgical gloves...get a thin layer of petroleum jelly on your hands before you put on the gloves. I've always just assumed, because I don't really know, that keeps your hands from perspiring too much which helps keep them even warmer.