Recommendation on measuring tape for fish

Anything and everything related to fishing tackle. If you cannot find the sub-category for your topic, go ahead and post it in here!
Shim_Dai_Ano_Wa
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Recommendation on measuring tape for fish

Post by Shim_Dai_Ano_Wa » Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:09 pm

Looking for a tape to measure fish that is water proof and big

KlingerNOK
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Recommendation on measuring tape for fish

Post by KlingerNOK » Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:00 am

Get you a plastic coated seamstress tape. Very cheap and works well for length and girth measurements. I just keep one in the glovebox of my boat to have handy.

Toadslayer72
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Toadslayer72 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:41 am

KlingerNOK wrote:Get you a plastic coated seamstress tape. Very cheap and works well for length and girth measurements. I just keep one in the glovebox of my boat to have handy.
This all day. They roll up to the size of nothing and you can do a girth measurement with them. Cheap and easy to find, what more could you ask for.

http://www.joann.com/dritz-tape-measure ... -/prd3128/. If 6' isn't long enough, I've seen them up to 10'. I don't know if they can be found on PLanet X though :lol:

GARRIGA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by GARRIGA » Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:33 pm

KlingerNOK wrote:Get you a plastic coated seamstress tape. Very cheap and works well for length and girth measurements. I just keep one in the glovebox of my boat to have handy.
What he said. :)

Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Teal101 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:03 am

Most fly shops have the small round retractable soft measuring tapes that go up to 5-6' usually. About $5, works well for me. I know Rolly and Helens Musky Shop has them :mrgreen:

Reel Old Geezer
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew

Post by Reel Old Geezer » Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:54 pm

I'm not sure what you need or if you want to carry it, but I use a stick on tape from Cabela's or Bass Pro Shop. I have one on the front deck and one in back. That way it only takes an instant to measure the fish and release it.

Incidentally, I believe it is much more accurate to measure your fish than to weigh them. As we all know, a bass before spawn is much heavier than it is after spawning. However, it will still be the same length. A 21" river smallmouth is a great fish, whether it weighs 4 lbs or 5 lbs.

GARRIGA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by GARRIGA » Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:24 am

Reel Old Geezer wrote:Incidentally, I believe it is much more accurate to measure your fish than to weigh them. As we all know, a bass before spawn is much heavier than it is after spawning. However, it will still be the same length. A 21" river smallmouth is a great fish, whether it weighs 4 lbs or 5 lbs.
I agree 100%. I had a similar discussion on another board about changing the IGFA rules because all 24" large mouth for a particular body of water should be around the same age and age includes experience which adds difficulty to being captured. Fat fish aren't necessarily smarter. Take a northern strain LMB that's ten years old and should be considerably smaller than a CA caught six year old and yet it's probably more experienced and harder to catch and to me more worthy of recognition than one trout fed and fatten for show and tell. Musky fisherman and Japanesse Bass fisherman have adopted this practice and a quick measure is less stressful than hanging from their jaw on a scale. Problem is we like weight and brag about how fat the one was that got away.