How to sell a rod on ebay

Anything and everything related to fishing tackle. If you cannot find the sub-category for your topic, go ahead and post it in here!
mprestonSEK
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

How to sell a rod on ebay

Post by mprestonSEK » Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:56 pm

I have a rod that i plan to sell on ebay. Can somebody tell me the procedure that i need to follow when i need to ship the rod?

Thanks

cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: How to sell a rod on ebay

Post by cndbasshunter » Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:46 pm

Once you get paid by PayPal you ship the rod.

steve1206
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by steve1206 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:51 pm

In a rod/PVC tube, insured, shipped Fed Ex..shipping charges are not subject to PayPal fee...list shipping at $25-ish dollars

civicrr
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by civicrr » Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:22 pm

I'll add...

Wrap rod in bubble wrap. You don't want it banging around is the tube.

I make sure that the tube is about 2"-4" longer than the rod. I secure bubble wrapped rod (butt end) right against tube cap using packing tape.

lpquick
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by lpquick » Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:35 pm

I also add at both ends of the tube in large bright text “FRAGILE - DO NOT CONVEYER BELT - FOR HAND CARRY ONLY
I obviously can’t say for sure this helps, except since I started adding the warning it has improved my % rate on rods making it to their destinations intact. Plus it’s a great argument point in your favor if in fact the reason for a broken rod/tube was due to use on a conveyer belt. Certainly doesn’t hurt.

ksachao
Angler
Angler

Post by ksachao » Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:21 pm

Insure it ... Place inside PVC tube, put newspaper around rod so it won't move, tape the tip for cushion, write fragile on the outside tube. :D

RGMatt
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by RGMatt » Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:51 pm

lpquick wrote:I also add at both ends of the tube in large bright text “FRAGILE - DO NOT CONVEYER BELT - FOR HAND CARRY ONLY
I obviously can’t say for sure this helps, except since I started adding the warning it has improved my % rate on rods making it to their destinations intact. Plus it’s a great argument point in your favor if in fact the reason for a broken rod/tube was due to use on a conveyer belt. Certainly doesn’t hurt.
X 2...i always right this on tubes too.....

I also use bubble wrap and extra around the tip, pad both ends of the tube, then I like to add soft foam , cut into a circle slightly smaller than the tube I.D. and taped to the rod in a few spots to prevent side to side movement as much as possible.

njbasscat
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by njbasscat » Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:37 am

I buy a piece of pipe insulation from the hardware store. A six and a half foot piece costs around $3.00. I put the rod inside the pipe insulation, put a piece of tape down by the handle so it stays put, and insert it into a 2" PVC tube. I have shipped over a dozen rods this way and have not had any issues.

thelatrobe33
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by thelatrobe33 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:19 am

steve1206 wrote:In a rod/PVC tube, insured, shipped Fed Ex..shipping charges are not subject to PayPal fee...list shipping at $25-ish dollars
Just an FYI... eBay changed this and you do pay PayPal fees on what you charge for shipping now. IMO it was a good move because it keeps people honest.

mikezho
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by mikezho » Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:46 am

what delivery company do you use?
njbasscat wrote:I buy a piece of pipe insulation from the hardware store. A six and a half foot piece costs around $3.00. I put the rod inside the pipe insulation, put a piece of tape down by the handle so it stays put, and insert it into a 2" PVC tube. I have shipped over a dozen rods this way and have not had any issues.

Finnz922
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Finnz922 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:08 am

USPS. UPS as a last resort

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:31 am

njbasscat wrote:I buy a piece of pipe insulation from the hardware store. A six and a half foot piece costs around $3.00. I put the rod inside the pipe insulation, put a piece of tape down by the handle so it stays put, and insert it into a 2" PVC tube. I have shipped over a dozen rods this way and have not had any issues.
How much do the pvc tubes run ya?

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:34 am

Yes, USPS priority 2-3 day. Make sure and cut the tube down to I believe it's 84.5 inches or they will nail ya. Depending on the weight of the tube it should run you somewhere in the neighborhood of 16-19 bucks. Just put a ship charge of 25.00 dollars on your listing and you should be good.

njbasscat
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by njbasscat » Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:07 pm

mikezho wrote:what delivery company do you use?
FedEx ground. Shipping varies depending on where I ship to but it is generally between $20.00 and $28.00 insured for rods 7'6" and under.

njbasscat
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by njbasscat » Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:09 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:
How much do the pvc tubes run ya?
I have purchased so many rods in the past five years that I had a nice stock pile of PVC tubes in the garage. I just used my last one a couple weeks ago.