Simms SunGaitor question

Anything and everything related to fishing tackle. If you cannot find the sub-category for your topic, go ahead and post it in here!
Micropterus salmoides
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Simms SunGaitor question

Post by Micropterus salmoides » Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:41 pm

Did Simms update the SunGaitor? I just received mine from The Hook Up Tackle and it does not look like the photo on the Simms site. Mine has a rubber-like reinforcement over the breathing holes.

Here's the Simms site photo:

Here's photos of the one I received:

jeb
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Simms SunGaitor question

Post by jeb » Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:27 am

They must have. I bought one of those at the BassMaster Classic at the Simm's display recently and it looks like the one in the bottom 2 pictures.

tH3_Guy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by tH3_Guy » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:56 am

Have you tried it? Cause I am about to make a purcahse at their next sale along with tons of other items...

Hate to be baited then switched for a lesser functional garment.

Micropterus salmoides
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Micropterus salmoides » Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:45 pm

tH3_Guy wrote:Have you tried it? Cause I am about to make a purcahse at their next sale along with tons of other items...

Hate to be baited then switched for a lesser functional garment.
Yeah, I put it on for a few minutes with sunglasses and a hat, covering my ears and nose. I was disappointed that my sunglasses still fogged up some. I'm not sure if it was less than with the UV Buff.

The difference with the "updated version" is that the breathing holes are more tightly clustered (from what I can tell) and they do not stretch into larger holes like the original (first photo above) due to the holes being stamped into the rubber diamond rather than just the fabric. I think the fact that the rubber area doesn't allow air to pass through and the holes don't stretch open makes the "updated" version" less breathable.

I think I would sacrifice the durability the diamond reinforced area offers for the better breatheability of the previous model.

BucketHunter
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BucketHunter » Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:46 pm

I don't mind buying a new one every year like I have, (they get a little rank after sweating in it all summer anyways) and I can attest that the old model would break down and the holes become so large that protection may be compromised a little. That being said, I wear it a little higher on my face than most, using some of the stretch from the holes to alleviate some of the pressure it put on my big schnoz. As long as I didn't mouth breath it was more comfortable and performed much better. By the end of the year, my nose pretty much pokes right through a couple of the enlarged holes. Always adjusting it so I don't get a weird pattern burn there. Not sure If I will like the new design as much. They always did fog a little before, but a quick pull down cleared the humidity and it was back to fishing for another 20-30 minutes.

tH3_Guy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by tH3_Guy » Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:07 pm

I might just use a hole puncher to add more on the corner area...

SWH
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by SWH » Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:13 am

I noticed they have SunArmor and SunGaiter which appears to be different.

Micropterus salmoides
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Micropterus salmoides » Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:22 pm

I ordered another SunGaiter from a tackle shop that had the older model. Now I have both to compare.

The older model doesn't look like the photo (first pic above) on the Simms' site either. The breathing holes form a circle rather than the grid-like shape shown above. It has a more snug fit and is shorter. Although shorter it still covers my neckline.

The newer model is looser and longer. When I pull it up over my ears, nose, and back of head it feels like it will slip down in the back. The rubberized diamond shaped reinforced area is definitely more durable, but less comfortable because it presses down on the tip of my nose (when the gaiter is worn for maximum coverage.) I'm not sure if I can tolerate that throughout the day.

Breathability between the two is similar, with the edge going to the older model, due to not having the rubberized reinforced area. If worn for maximum coverage (over nose and ears) with sunglasses and hat both models fog up a little. This is inside the house with no wind. My glasses alone fog up a little when worn inside. When outside when there is at least some wind my glasses don't fog up when worn alone. I'm hoping that wind will reduce or eliminate fogging when wearing the SunGaiter.

***For those that have the older model and wear it with the breathing holes over the nose does it leave sun dots on your nose?

Silas
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Silas » Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:49 pm

Was about to pull the trigger on a Sun Gaiter but now will wait for replies.

Already have the Buff and it fogs up.....but I just pull it down over my nose for a moment and clears up. But I ALWAYS put sunscreen on my NOSE!! Best sunscreen I've found (and I've researched it a LOT) L'Oreal Ombrelle Complete 60. Has all of the major ingredients that protect for UVB and AVB. Put it on my nose and ears just to make sure.
Another equally great sunscreen La Roche-Posay Anthelios XL 60. Magnificent.

And, I've just begun wearing the GLOVES.....the Buff Water Gloves......works very well!

Micropterus salmoides
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Micropterus salmoides » Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:34 pm

Silas wrote:Was about to pull the trigger on a Sun Gaiter but now will wait for replies.

Already have the Buff and it fogs up.....but I just pull it down over my nose for a moment and clears up. But I ALWAYS put sunscreen on my NOSE!! Best sunscreen I've found (and I've researched it a LOT) L'Oreal Ombrelle Complete 60. Has all of the major ingredients that protect for UVB and AVB. Put it on my nose and ears just to make sure.
Another equally great sunscreen La Roche-Posay Anthelios XL 60. Magnificent.

And, I've just begun wearing the GLOVES.....the Buff Water Gloves......works very well!
I also have a pair of the Buff Water Gloves in light green. They are thicker and more substantial than I thought.

For sunscreen I use Blue Lizard Australian Sunscreen (Sensitive). It's a physical sunscreen, which uses the natural barriers Zinc Oxide and Titanium Dioxide. I like it better than chemical sunscreens, which absorb into the skin for protection. Before that I used L'Oreal Ombrelle before it was available in the US. I purchased from Canada.