Performance rainwear

Anything and everything related to fishing tackle. If you cannot find the sub-category for your topic, go ahead and post it in here!
pharmboy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Performance rainwear

Post by pharmboy » Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:00 pm

Starting to look at performance rainwear (bibs and jacket)....Looking at the new Cabelas goretex Bass Angler guidewear($480), Simms prodry ($900) and the Shimano dryfender series ($470). I think I am leaning towards the cabelas as the shimano series is not a goretex product and Simms is $$$ and I can get a rebate with the cabelas card. Anyone with experience with these 3 rainsuits?

muskyhunter
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Performance rainwear

Post by muskyhunter » Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:03 pm

I tried most of the suits and my favorite were the frabill and shimano suit. You really have to try them on and see which fits best. I had a problem with the frabill as my neck is too fat to properly fully zip up.
Last edited by muskyhunter on Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

angry john
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by angry john » Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:07 pm

I know it may not be classy or keeping with TT fashion but I ware a single piece motorcycle rain suite. Cost me 60 bucks when I got it, and I stay dry. I ware a yellow Gordon's fish hat just for fun and it sure is a conversation starter. I don't get paid to fish so my style is fun, and effective.

SWH
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by SWH » Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:03 am

I had the same dilemma and chose Pro Dry which is a really nice shell piece, but you may get more value with anything else. Have to try them both. Having a Simms logo over Cabelas is surely worth something too. I just realised all my fishing clothes are Simms - from waders, hats, sunclothing, shells.., so I may be biased hehe :)

Mattman
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew
Location: Fergus Falls, MN - Otterods - Hand Crafted High Performance Fishing Rods

Post by Mattman » Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:23 am

I've not tried the Simms but if they are half as good as the other Simms products I own, they would be worth the money.

I own Cabela's Guidewear. Outstanding rain gear and worth every penny to me. Plus, Cabela's is a great company. I live in the bibs. I've got lots of fish photos of me in my Guidewear on bright sunny days.

I tried for years to get by on the cheap and I finally sucked up and went for the Guidewear. In hindsight, I should have started there and spent less money because all the "cheap" alternatives cost me more in the end and didn't do the job. Today, if I lost my set of Guidewear, I'd have another set on the way to me the same day without even blinking at the price.

froteur
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by froteur » Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:06 pm

i have a set of cabela's guidewear raingear and have had no problems with it. i just ordered a bass pro shop pro qualifier bibs because my son keeps stealing my cabela's bibs. i got the pro qualifier bibs mainly because they were the least expensive of the bunch.

i was eyeballing the simms the other day at hi's but they are just too expensive for me right now.

Micropterus salmoides
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Micropterus salmoides » Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:41 pm

I wear an Arc'teryx GORE-TEX rain shell. Price was similar to the Simms ProDry. It's about five years old and was made in Canada (better quality) as opposed to the current line being manufactured in China.

Imavol
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Imavol » Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:11 am

Hard to go wrong with the Cabelas Guidewear. I have had a set for over 10 years now and still going strong and like Mattman I wear mine all the time. The Bibs especially just right for those spring mornings when you need long pants until lunch then shorts the rest of the day. If something happened to them I would replace them with the same. I am sure the Simms are fantastic I own several other things they make. But I do not see how they could be $400 better.

bh54lf
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by bh54lf » Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:06 am

check out Stormr gear...I just picked some up a Stryker suit here and so far I love it...its brand new stuff, seems like this will be the first season it really gets tested commercially.

pharmboy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by pharmboy » Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:47 pm

No one's chimed in on the Simms Prodry......is it worth the extra $$. I would go for it if they are way better that the alternatives.

tosakilla
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by tosakilla » Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:19 pm

you really should check the frabill out, i have it and love it. it uses teflon instead of goretex and doesnt constantly need to be re waterproofed like goretex suits.

DUZBASS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by DUZBASS » Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:12 am

I only wear Patagonia and Arc'teryx raingear, both have gore tex if you want that, and they both have excellent warranties.

Finnz922
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Finnz922 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:04 pm

Another vote for Cabela's Guidewear.

SWH
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by SWH » Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:51 am

I already said that I am using ProDry and it is truly a great set worthy of the price tag. Not only do you get the best of materials, but comfort is amazing and so is the fit which is due to the, in my mind, great design and combination of different fabrics offering superb comfort. I hate clothes restricting my movement and this has not happened yet, and I am using the BIB pants version.

Rfraz
Angler
Angler

Post by Rfraz » Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:23 pm

I have the Guidewear but my only thing with it is the weight! It's rather heavy and kinda wears on you after 8 hours.