The Worse ..........

Anything and everything related to fishing tackle. If you cannot find the sub-category for your topic, go ahead and post it in here!
goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

The Worse ..........

Post by goldrod » Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:17 pm

What is the worse rod, reel, line or any piece of tackle or gear that you've ever used in your opinion?

grantman83
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: The Worse ..........

Post by grantman83 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:54 pm

Worst Reel was a Bass Pro baitcaster of which I don't remember. Seriously, I used it once and in setting the hook stripped all the internal gears. It lost both the drap and anti reverse all in one bang. I did only pay like 60 for it but still...

Worst Rod was a berkley amp which broke straight up on a hookset. Again, cheap.

Worst line was Vicious Fluoro. Strong but so unmanageable I couldn't throw anything on it without brakes on high or a short distance. I've had better luck with Berkley Vanish and that should say it all.

Notice a trend here? They were all cheap. I learned quick you get what you pay for.

johns
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by johns » Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:06 am

Worst lure was the Roland Martin helecopter lure. It might have worked if I had heavier line, but even with the swivel it just made my line one twisted mess.

CPH
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by CPH » Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:41 am

Probably a Gardener rod-pod - I'm not sure you chaps would know what one is though?

I'm the world's worst lure angler (Most of us are more adept with baits for pike over here.) so my opinion doesn't really count for much, but I've had a couple of the Hooker Shad lure for years now and never even had a follow on them. It's the same with the Bulldawg lures too, never had so much as a sniff. :(

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:37 am

Any Quantum casting reel between 30 and 60 bucks will turn you into a raging lunatic within a matter of minutes.

brokeneye
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by brokeneye » Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:45 am

won a pinnacle vision combo at a club t once.

at first, i thought they were penalizing me for a dead fish.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:52 am

Berkley Ironsilk was pretty awful line - I snapped off several crankbaits on the cast until I finally realized that the line was the culprit...

I don't recall the name of it, but when I was a young'n, Dad spooled up some old bantam baitcasters with some kind of "oval" line that was supposed to be the latest greatest thing - that stuff was awful too :lol:

steve1206
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by steve1206 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:29 am

bronzefly wrote:I don't recall the name of it, but when I was a young'n, Dad spooled up some old bantam baitcasters with some kind of "oval" line that was supposed to be the latest greatest thing - that stuff was awful too :lol:
Awesome!!!!! I totally forgot that stuff. ... Stren Magnum 14/40....Then came 7/20.I owned it. Theory was 40lb line but only took up 14 lb line capacity becuse it layed "flat". I'd say circa 1987 or so.

brokeneye
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by brokeneye » Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:20 am

thought i had something the first time i spooled up the ironsilk...got down to the lake, tied on a 1/2 oz. blade, reared back on the first cast and let 'er hum.

last time i saw, that spinnerbait was still flying across that lake.

cst
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by cst » Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:20 am

The Viento. That thing was such a disappointment.

MondayMonkey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by MondayMonkey » Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:33 am

Growing up fishing and hunting were my favorite things. My grandparents would always give me lures and line and such for holidays and gifts. They were always uh.... off brands if you will lol. I think i was about 8 and they gave me and my brother a few spools of maxima chameleon cause they heard we were going salmon fishing with our uncle that weekend. My dad spooled it up on our gear and his. We went out fishing that weekend and spent 98% of the day untangling knots kinks and twists. When we weren't doing that we broke off a full flasher diver rig and my brother got wrapped around the prop while playing with a backlash. My uncle told my dad we were not allowed on his boat ever again with that line. I don't blame him one bit. I've hated that company ever since lol.

ztcsmd
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by ztcsmd » Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:08 pm

How about this blast from the past.....Popeil Pocket Fisherman !! :lol: :lol:

Seph
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Seph » Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:42 pm

Had to do some googling....and was suprised to find that you can still buy these new....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ToZsFHSHiPg

yes...its The one the only Chuck Woolery Moto Lures!!!

nctrucker
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by nctrucker » Wed May 13, 2015 1:48 am

zebco 909. spincasting reel; you just push button, cast and release right? not so fast, folks. when they came out the quality control was overworked or somethin' such. push the button normally and the front cover just came right off! zebco did make it right though. I had two and they sent me a couple of newer covers which did work right. had so many flops in lures it's hard to pick one.

cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by cndbasshunter » Wed May 13, 2015 2:00 am

nanofil for me..snapped off 2-3 lures easily :(