What lures do you wish weekend warriors never used?

Anything and everything related to fishing tackle. If you cannot find the sub-category for your topic, go ahead and post it in here!
Bladerunner808
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

What lures do you wish weekend warriors never used?

Post by Bladerunner808 » Wed May 08, 2013 11:16 pm

After reading a post about Roboworms losing their effectiveness in SoCal waters because of their overuse by the masses... it made me wonder what other lures (THAT YOU WOULD LOVE TO USE MORE OF) do you think have been ruined by the big-box shopping masses.

Mine would be...
1. The Senko (I wish noboby ever used these except me). Example... I was fishing my "secret spot" where 20 bass from 1-5lbers can be had in 1 hour of fishing before work. An angler I've never seen strolls up way too close with a "Dick's Sporting Good Special" - you know the rod... a 6'6" spinning rod rated medium-heavy but casts like a ultralight parabolic rod. Seriously this thing bent down to the handle when he cast his RIDICULOUS carolina rig (he must have been using a 1/2oz. weight) in front of his "gaytreuse" Senko on a 2/0 looking hook. Needless to say he caught nothing, lost it in a tree and left - much to my relief. As I stood there watching his chartreuse Senko dangle from that tree in the early spring sunlight... I thought about how clueless this guy was - and yet he was using one of the most effective lures ever. He obviously knew NOTHING about the proper tackle to present it on, but he knew about that lure. ](*,)

2. Topwater Frogs - I've been throwing Snag-Proof Frogs in pad fields and slop since 1991 - when I first bought them I had so many quality fish on them they were ALL I fished morning, noon, and night. (My personal record of 8+lbs.is still held by the original Snag-Proof. 20 years later they are EVERYWHERE and I have to get all clever with my presentations now... :-({|=

3. Skinny Dippers - this effective lure is the next lure to get killed off. :-$

HERE IS MY LIST OF INEFFECTIVE LURES THAT WERE DEAD IN MY PARTS DECADES AGO. THESE ARE STAPLES OF THE WEEKEND BANK-BEATER.
1. Walmarts Favorite Lure "the spinner-bait" :lol:
2. Dick's Favorite Lure "the crankbait" :doh:
3. Everybody's Favorite Lure "the rattlebait" =D>

JerryC
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: What lures do you wish weekend warriors never used?

Post by JerryC » Wed May 08, 2013 11:36 pm

I would agree with the Senko as being #1. Although I only will throw a senko when times are really tough, I've been using something similar and it has been working just as good if not better around the lakes where I fish. Obviously if a fish sees the same lure again and again the likelyhood of the fish eating it is slim to non almost.

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Thu May 09, 2013 3:43 am

The fish at Diamond Valley Lake probably see more roboworms than any lake on the planet, but they still catch fish. I have caught plenty of big fish on them recently. Their effectiveness has declined because of more factors than overuse by weekend warriors. Yes, bass populations get conditioned, but every lure has its time and place.

Sometimes bait populations change causing fish to change their feeding habits. I think the fish at DVL suspend more than they used to because of the abundance of trees that weren't there before. That is why slower falling lures like the slim senko have been more effective lately. Make subtle changes to the overused lures and you will catch fish that others don't catch. Smart anglers constantly change it up. I never completely give up on any lure because everybody is throwing it.

dcorp
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by dcorp » Thu May 09, 2013 10:36 am

Wait, whats this senko thing you guys are talking about? Is it like a crankbait or something? Maybe I'll buy a few for this weekend.

biggs
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by biggs » Thu May 09, 2013 10:55 am

Bladerunner808 wrote:3. Skinny Dippers - this effective lure is the next lure to get killed off.
I agree with that.

No roboworm issues up here as I bet 80% of fisherman here have probably never heard of them. CC Big-O's......now thats another story but they can have them cause I can'ts stand em'.

takrat 67
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by takrat 67 » Thu May 09, 2013 4:38 pm

dcorp wrote:Wait, whats this senko thing you guys are talking about? Is it like a crankbait or something? Maybe I'll buy a few for this weekend.
Love your work man, very subtle.
JD

takrat 67
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by takrat 67 » Thu May 09, 2013 4:47 pm

Human being are gregarious, herd loving creatures, which is why a lot of folks will anchor their boat tooo close when they see you fishing, or camp real close in a camping area when there's mobs of room elswhere. If they can't fish it matters little what they throw or what gear they use, anything they catch will be an accident. In Australia we call it "chuck and chance fishing." Maybe those of us of the greater experience should impart some of it to them. Call me optimistic.
JD

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Thu May 09, 2013 5:50 pm

Bladerunner808 wrote:After reading a post about Roboworms losing their effectiveness in SoCal waters because of their overuse by the masses... it made me wonder what other lures (THAT YOU WOULD LOVE TO USE MORE OF) do you think have been ruined by the big-box shopping masses.

Mine would be...
1. The Senko (I wish noboby ever used these except me). Example... I was fishing my "secret spot" where 20 bass from 1-5lbers can be had in 1 hour of fishing before work. An angler I've never seen strolls up way too close with a "Dick's Sporting Good Special" - you know the rod... a 6'6" spinning rod rated medium-heavy but casts like a ultralight parabolic rod. Seriously this thing bent down to the handle when he cast his RIDICULOUS carolina rig (he must have been using a 1/2oz. weight) in front of his "gaytreuse" Senko on a 2/0 looking hook. Needless to say he caught nothing, lost it in a tree and left - much to my relief. As I stood there watching his chartreuse Senko dangle from that tree in the early spring sunlight... I thought about how clueless this guy was - and yet he was using one of the most effective lures ever. He obviously knew NOTHING about the proper tackle to present it on, but he knew about that lure. ](*,)

2. Topwater Frogs - I've been throwing Snag-Proof Frogs in pad fields and slop since 1991 - when I first bought them I had so many quality fish on them they were ALL I fished morning, noon, and night. (My personal record of 8+lbs.is still held by the original Snag-Proof. 20 years later they are EVERYWHERE and I have to get all clever with my presentations now... :-({|=

3. Skinny Dippers - this effective lure is the next lure to get killed off. :-$

HERE IS MY LIST OF INEFFECTIVE LURES THAT WERE DEAD IN MY PARTS DECADES AGO. THESE ARE STAPLES OF THE WEEKEND BANK-BEATER.
1. Walmarts Favorite Lure "the spinner-bait" :lol:
2. Dick's Favorite Lure "the crankbait" :doh:
3. Everybody's Favorite Lure "the rattlebait" =D>
1) The Senko - Very funny read and well written, however I'm not sure I underatand the situational frustration. The gut had a Senko. So, he didn't know how to use it. It doesn't do any good to get irritated at the fact that any person has the ability to obtain any bait you do. Can you out fish them? Do you have more experience? Can you present the bait better? From reading the behavior of this weekend warrior I would say yes, and don't think you have much to worry about.

cst
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by cst » Fri May 10, 2013 4:03 am

I have a feeling senkos probably kill more fish than anything else. Fish get gut hooked by careless anglers fishing senkos way too often.

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Fri May 10, 2013 6:35 am

I mentioned roboworms earlier, but the spinnerbait in the spring is probably the most overused lure out there because they can be used by almost anyone with almost any freshwater rod to cover shallow water very quickly. Spinnerbaits are my favorite lure and it sucks to see guys in rental boats pounding the water in front of me with vinyl skirts and barrel swivels. Yes, I can catch fish behind them with my custom blades, but I'm like the guy in a fast car forced to follow a Yugo on the Autobahn. ](*,)

jb7725
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jb7725 » Fri May 10, 2013 8:01 am

cst wrote:I have a feeling senkos probably kill more fish than anything else. Fish get gut hooked by careless anglers fishing senkos way too often.
I see this all the time as well

John Puckett
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by John Puckett » Fri May 10, 2013 4:58 pm

2. Topwater Frogs - I've been throwing Snag-Proof Frogs in pad fields and slop since 1991 - when I first bought them I had so many quality fish on them they were ALL I fished morning, noon, and night. (My personal record of 8+lbs.is still held by the original Snag-Proof. 20 years later they are EVERYWHERE and I have to get all clever with my presentations now...

This would be my pick by FAR. I love throwing frog & toad baits and it would be incredible if I were the only guy doing it. Frogs have become very popular around here the last 3 or 4 years, before that the frog bite was fantastic. I fished Mon, Tues, & Wed of this week and focused mainly on throwing a Bronzeye Jr, between the three days I caught a total of 13 fish on it. My biggest one was around 4 pounds. I had a great time but I can remember a time not that many years back that 20 fish days were common on frogs in May. Those were the days... :doh:

Seph
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Seph » Sat May 11, 2013 1:30 am

I had a similar experience last week. I was bank fishing in a private community pond about a month ago. The fish had just had a spawn cycle and there were males up and down the banks being bouncers for their clouds of fresh day old tiny fry. The fish were very aggressive, but only half would actually engulf a bait, the rest would blow or puff at lures/plastics to move them.

This pond has a walking bridge across the middle of it and I was fishing about 20 yards down the bank from where the bridge crosses. I had just landed a ~3 pounder when this guy who was out for a walk leaves the path and trudges through not so friendly soft mud ground to come over to where I am. Seeing him coming I quick release the fish, without taking a picture :evil: , and reach down and cup the plastic lizard I had been fishing with in my hand so it is not visible.

While my back was to this guy he hollers something like 'nice fish -- What'd ya catch him on?'

To which I replied while turning around, with a smile on my face 'a hook.'

Incredulous and missing the point, he says 'nah no way you caught that on just a hook, what were you using!?!'

Again, I politely replied with more heavy-handed sarcasm and another smile 'Rod and Reel.'

He continued to pester me all-the-while trying to see what I was hiding in my hand(I never showed him). I eventually told him 'a worm' just so he would leave me alone. I'm not proud that I enjoy watching the layman's confusion about fishing, but the way I see it this guy was being very rude by interrupting my 'day at the office' and his method of approaching me was not well received. --just desserts in my opinion.

The funniest thing about the whole thing in my mind was that the fish that were biting that day were biting anything. I was trying a Lake Fork Lizard for the first time and the fish that I ended up catching had bitten the back end off the lizard on the first cast. He ate the lizard on the second pass that had just a head and the arms -- no tail no legs. I should have told the guy I caught it on a SENKO!

dcorp
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by dcorp » Sat May 11, 2013 3:53 am

Or you can do what I do and tell people you are getting them on hotdogs.

vinnieb729
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by vinnieb729 » Sat May 11, 2013 5:56 am

dcorp wrote:Or you can do what I do and tell people you are getting them on hotdogs.
:lol: When I was in high school a friend and I were at a small lake fishing in his boat. He spent the first 20 minutes rigging up a small piece of a hot stick with some hooks...His first cast he sails it into some trees and has to snap his line...I though I was going to have a stroke I was laughing so hard. :lol:

Anyway, I would say the spinnerbait. Walleyes rule the land around here so bass don't get the same pressure as most states but seems like everyone throws .99 cent Northland spinnerbaits....On their 6'3" walleye jigging rods with 6 lb. mono....Thank god for the internet...I..I...I love you guys 8-[