Treble hooks

Anything and everything related to fishing tackle. If you cannot find the sub-category for your topic, go ahead and post it in here!
Micropterus salmoides
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Treble hooks

Post by Micropterus salmoides » Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:36 am

Looking for some replacement treble hooks for various lures and wanted to see what you guys think of the Owner ST-36 vs the Gamakatsu Magic Eye Short Shank Round Bend.

angry john
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Treble hooks

Post by angry john » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:37 am

i use the st-36 a lot and like them, for topwater i have had a lot of luck with the st-41. I have not used the magic eye, but have the regular gami ewg short shank trebles from TW. There quality as well. I dont have a preference one over the other, they're both great hooks.

Toadslayer72
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Toadslayer72 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:38 pm

Yeah, I think you can't go wrong with either. I'm an Owner guy through and through but I wouldn't hesitate to us a Gammy (or any other quality hook) if for some reason I couldn't get exactly what I wanted from Owner. That said, I've used the st-36 a lot and haven't had any problems. I think when you get get down to their smaller sizes and if you are fishing braid, you may want to go with a 2x(st-41) or a 3x(st-56), depending of course on how robust the rest of your set up is.

I think with hooks these days that just about all of the big names make excellent stuff, it's more a matter of finding the hook(s) that offer specifically what you are looking for. Like round bends, short shanks, heavier gauges or any number of little things. I remember when just about every hook I used was some sort of bronze Eagle Claw or Mustad that always required sharpening to get them sticky. We got it pretty good these days with all of the different styles and super sharp and strong hooks.

Casca
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Casca » Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:14 pm

Owner Stingers x2.

takrat 67
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by takrat 67 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:50 pm

Go Owners no other choice

LAGVPI99
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by LAGVPI99 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:25 pm

I have used several types of treble hooks and replace every one on my baits with the KVD hooks now.

I fish braid with a leader 99% of the time. These hooks hold fish better than anything I have ever tried.

I have lost one 10-12" fish in the last 18 months on a crank after changing. Many were open water fish but a few were nice sized fish in cover that I simply pulled away from the trash to keep them from getting hung up and fish don't pull off of these hooks.

Knock on wood... ](*,)

cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by cndbasshunter » Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:18 pm

i love the 2x short kvd mustad hooks.

capt1fish
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by capt1fish » Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:54 am

LAGVPI99 wrote:I have used several types of treble hooks and replace every one on my baits with the KVD hooks now.
cndbasshunter wrote:i love the 2x short kvd mustad hooks.
I also switched the bulk of my squarebill cranks over to the #2 KVD hook in the past couple years. Over the weekend I tried some cranks with the Gamakatsu equivilent, the EWG Short Shank Magic eye treble.

It's a confidence thing I suppose, but I've always preferred Gamakatsu over Mustad. The Gammies come out of the package sharper. I bought the KVDs because there were the only hook like that in the market place. I'm not sure when Gamakatsu released this hook but I bought a few packs when I saw em at the local shop.

I landed every fish that hit my crankbait that day and will likely replace all baits with the Gamakatsu over Mustad.

To the OP, I like EWG styles on my crankbaits and round bends on my topwater. You can't go wrong with either option you presented. Just try not to replace with a hook that weighs more than factory for your topwater. It may affect the action.

cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by cndbasshunter » Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:32 am

capt1fish wrote: I also switched the bulk of my squarebill cranks over to the #2 KVD hook in the past couple years. Over the weekend I tried some cranks with the Gamakatsu equivilent, the EWG Short Shank Magic eye treble.

It's a confidence thing I suppose, but I've always preferred Gamakatsu over Mustad. The Gammies come out of the package sharper. I bought the KVDs because there were the only hook like that in the market place. I'm not sure when Gamakatsu released this hook but I bought a few packs when I saw em at the local shop.

I landed every fish that hit my crankbait that day and will likely replace all baits with the Gamakatsu over Mustad.

To the OP, I like EWG styles on my crankbaits and round bends on my topwater. You can't go wrong with either option you presented. Just try not to replace with a hook that weighs more than factory for your topwater. It may affect the action.
how much are the gammy's? i pay $4 (6 pc) for the KVD.

capt1fish
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by capt1fish » Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:27 am

cndbasshunter wrote:
capt1fish wrote: I also switched the bulk of my squarebill cranks over to the #2 KVD hook in the past couple years. Over the weekend I tried some cranks with the Gamakatsu equivilent, the EWG Short Shank Magic eye treble.

how much are the gammy's? i pay $4 (6 pc) for the KVD.
The KVD's at your price are MUCH more economical that the EWG Gamakatsu. Almost by half.

TW has the size 2 EWG Magic Eye for $7.49/pk. I remember they had 6 hooks per pack making it $1.25/hook compared to $0.67/hook at your price.

It's certainly a premium hook. :shock:

Crankbaitmaker
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Crankbaitmaker » Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:04 pm

Owner ST 41 trebles are the best crankbait hooks on the market in my opinion. Gamakatsu makes a good quality hook too but the barbs are a bit small for my liking.

Crankbaitmaker

Native
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Native » Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:35 pm

capt1fish wrote:
LAGVPI99 wrote:I have used several types of treble hooks and replace every one on my baits with the KVD hooks now.
cndbasshunter wrote:i love the 2x short kvd mustad hooks.

I also prefer the Mustads, even going so far as to replace the Owner's or Gamm's on my larger Swimbaits! Makes a huge difference because with a short shank hook you can also go up one hook size if you want! Haven't lost a fish yet on them. :big grin:

JTinKC
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by JTinKC » Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:50 am

This year alone I have purchased about 20 of those mustad KVD elite treble packages. Great hooks. Definite good buy.

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:59 am

Id have to go with Owners just by how sharp they are but the KVD hooks hold fish better once hooked up but arent nearly as sharp as the owners. I use the Mustads on my cranks where I can reel tight to a fish and stick them. I use st-36 on topwater and jerkbaits where I want to stick any fish that even tries to slash at my bait.

Mags00
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Mags00 » Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:32 am

I've been a Gammy guy through and through and slowly switching to Mustad after a few bend outs and break offs of Gammy circlehooks on my dead stick rigs... I have some LCs that will be needing new trebles and have been tossed and torn between Owners and the Mustad (be it KVD) or just the standard Ultra Point...