What is your biggest issue with lures on the market

Anything and everything related to fishing tackle. If you cannot find the sub-category for your topic, go ahead and post it in here!
tH3_Guy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

What is your biggest issue with lures on the market

Post by tH3_Guy » Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:45 pm

Curious what issues or complaints do you guys have against the lures that is currently on the market....

Mines: I just love throwing blades but I ever since revenge went down to lighter wires. I have been searching for new brand to go with. War Eagle is what I will be experimenting with. To find that balance between wires strength and vibration.
Personally I do not think vibration is that critical. If times called for more vibration, thats when I throw indiana or colorado blades or mixture of willow and co.

Another ones of mines, is buying 12+ dollar lure just to have to replace out the cheapie hooks.

steve1206
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: What ismyour biggest issue with lures on the market

Post by steve1206 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:24 pm

I've thrown War Eagles for a long time...mostly because of skirt colors...If wire strength is a key, I would experiment with the Trokar Series. The knot seems to slide out of the open eyelet/bend where the line tie is, on the "standard" War Eagle, causing the wires to straighten out when landing/boat flipping a fish. Opening and closing the wires weakens them, and I have blown them up on fish. The Trokar series has the 1 1 /2 turn eyelet which keeps the knot from moving and opening the wires...

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:00 am

Tie (with several loops and knot a couple of times) the RBend closed with braid and superglue...will enhance the wire/arm life.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:32 am

I can't have them all

tywithay
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by tywithay » Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:39 am

I have an issue with some of the colors available. I think they typically cater to the west coast and southern guys, which is understandable; but still. There are other fish in the sea (so to speak) than largemouth bass. Here in KS, we don't have a lot of lakes with good populations of bass, so we focus on other quarry. I would like to see some good striper, wiper, and walleye patterns. It's true a lot of the colors already available will work, but they do eat some other stuff than bass. I know in my parts there's a lot of white perch swimming around. I think a white perch crankbait would kill it out there. It's hard to come by one without spending an arm and a leg on custom paint jobs though.

I also don't care for the hooks on most of these $15-$20+ lures. Is it too much to ask for some decent trebles?

My biggest pet peeve...when you pour a jighead, especially some of the more expensive ones....CLEAN THE PAINT OUT OF THE EYES! I have having to sit there and poke all the paint out of the holes to tie one on. I do have a little jig popper thing that makes quick work of them. I don't always have that on me though. It's not a huge deal and I typically try to get them all set up beforehand, but is it really too much to ask when I am paying $4.00-$6.00 for 5 jigheads?

cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by cndbasshunter » Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:59 am

Biggest issue is overal quality control. Some baits don't run exactly the same, they vary too much.

snowbass15
Angler
Angler

Post by snowbass15 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:25 am

For me it is that some hard baits dont come with good stock hooks.

takrat 67
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by takrat 67 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:31 pm

snowbass15 wrote:For me it is that some hard baits dont come with good stock hooks.
That's probably why there's so many aftermarket trebles to chose from.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: What is your biggest issue with lures on the market

Post by dragon1 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:18 am

Original company being bought out by a larger corp., and the previously excellent product becoming mediocre at best.

cst
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by cst » Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:40 am

snowbass15 wrote:For me it is that some hard baits dont come with good stock hooks.
It would be interesting to see baits sold with no rings or hooks.

One issue I have is that I wish someone would make UL baits with barbless single hooks.

razvan
Angler
Angler

Post by razvan » Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:51 am

cst wrote:One issue I have is that I wish someone would make UL baits with barbless single hooks.
Most of those japanese "area trout" hardbaits are single hook and the single hook is always barbless and usually a vanfook. These baits are always ultra light.

I want to see more hard minnows around in smaller lengths, 30 to 60 mm and not some downsized versions, usually they keep the thickness / profile of the larger models and decrease just the length, (resulting in a different shape) to retain some / most of the overall action and this isn't always on my taste ; rapala original and countdown are classic examples. I wish there was a trout version of the td 1061 in 40-42 mm called silver creek minnow or something with a profile scaled to that length and not a presso flat minnow if that makes (any) sense.

It is true that if this is usdm or outside japan domestic market, the ul gear in general exists scarcely. Only some larger manufacturers that are porting products, like yo-zuri, daiwa, megabass, luckycraft, from a zone where ul has its place or that come with a larger selection, see rapala ultra light crank and minnow models to give just one example, get nominated there, but I don't see an UL market at all if the topic is indeed about non jdm. td 1061 is called baby minnow on the european domestic market (where the european perch, chub, ide, make it an UL market ) and presso 6f on the australian one (where the bream makes it an UL market) ; the presso flat minnow is called gekkabijin yogiri 4f.

As a rough guess, the two daiwa paths were like this:

1) 60. td1061 >> 50. yonagi >> 40. future silver creek minnow? (profile scaled - to - length path ; fixed isolated bead shots to a longitudinal brass weight, => minnow shape)
2) 60. td1061 >> 50. yasha >> 42. yogiri (profile kept ; no scaled - to - length path ; fixed isolated beads to fixed grouped beads weight, river ready, humpback quasimodo obtained, => different shape)

Why minnows so small? That's why minnows so small!

Was there ever a need for a ... rebel minnow f49 with single hooks, just sayin? Is there a minnow rod in the usdm even though a minnow should be fished in a popping manner and therefore on a popping blank? The category exists but those are not light enough. A minnow is way lighter than a crankbait but also some distance lighter than a popper. Would the usdm sell more f49 models than some tiny bombers? For the same reason those "crankbait rods" are everywhere..

Is a crankbait an UL bait? Those are prefered because of the baitcasting reels. Are there many requests for light spinning outfits, not to talk about bfs? I don't see an ul market there.

QUAKEnSHAKE
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by QUAKEnSHAKE » Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:59 am

cndbasshunter wrote:Biggest issue is overal quality control. Some baits don't run exactly the same, they vary too much.
X2
For me its SK Redeye Shad not running straight bought 5 and only two run true.

BlaineFred
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BlaineFred » Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:21 am

QUAKEnSHAKE wrote:
cndbasshunter wrote:Biggest issue is overal quality control. Some baits don't run exactly the same, they vary too much.
X2
For me its SK Redeye Shad not running straight bought 5 and only two run true.
I checked the packages on some Red Eye Shads...I'm not home now, so writing this from memory...BUT there were/are made in two different countries...I believe China and Mexico...could be wrong on one country...

The two lures listed with the same color had some minor color differences...I'm not expert enough to evaluate how they run, but the question of different actions was pointed out by Steve Chaconas, a well known guide on the Potomac.

cst
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by cst » Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:36 am

razvan wrote:
cst wrote:One issue I have is that I wish someone would make UL baits with barbless single hooks.
Most of those japanese "area trout" hardbaits are single hook and the single hook is always barbless and usually a vanfook. These baits are always ultra light.

I want to see more hard minnows around in smaller lengths, 30 to 60 mm and not some downsized versions, usually they keep the thickness / profile of the larger models and decrease just the length, (resulting in a different shape) to retain some / most of the overall action and this isn't always on my taste ; rapala original and countdown are classic examples. I wish there was a trout version of the td 1061 in 40-42 mm called silver creek minnow or something with a profile scaled to that length and not a presso flat minnow if that makes (any) sense.

It is true that if this is usdm or outside japan domestic market, the ul gear in general exists scarcely. Only some larger manufacturers that are porting products, like yo-zuri, daiwa, megabass, luckycraft, from a zone where ul has its place or that come with a larger selection, see rapala ultra light crank and minnow models to give just one example, get nominated there, but I don't see an UL market at all if the topic is indeed about non jdm. td 1061 is called baby minnow on the european domestic market (where the european perch, chub, ide, make it an UL market ) and presso 6f on the australian one (where the bream makes it an UL market) ; the presso flat minnow is called gekkabijin yogiri 4f.

As a rough guess, the two daiwa paths were like this:

1) 60. td1061 >> 50. yonagi >> 40. future silver creek minnow? (profile scaled - to - length path ; fixed isolated bead shots to a longitudinal brass weight, => minnow shape)
2) 60. td1061 >> 50. yasha >> 42. yogiri (profile kept ; no scaled - to - length path ; fixed isolated beads to fixed grouped beads weight, river ready, humpback quasimodo obtained, => different shape)

Why minnows so small? That's why minnows so small!

Was there ever a need for a ... rebel minnow f49 with single hooks, just sayin? Is there a minnow rod in the usdm even though a minnow should be fished in a popping manner and therefore on a popping blank? The category exists but those are not light enough. A minnow is way lighter than a crankbait but also some distance lighter than a popper. Would the usdm sell more f49 models than some tiny bombers? For the same reason those "crankbait rods" are everywhere..

Is a crankbait an UL bait? Those are prefered because of the baitcasting reels. Are there many requests for light spinning outfits, not to talk about bfs? I don't see an ul market there.
I've been getting stocked up on the Japanese "mountain stream" style of gear. I want to get some area fishing stuff too but can't really afford to obsess about too many fishing techniques all at once!

GARRIGA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by GARRIGA » Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:50 am

I don't believe the hype...