Costa Del Mar any good?

Anything and everything related to fishing tackle. If you cannot find the sub-category for your topic, go ahead and post it in here!
SWH
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Costa Del Mar any good?

Post by SWH » Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:02 am

Hi

Anyone got experience with CDM sunglasses and the 580 G lens? I've read quite a few negative posts about them the frames not being durable at all and the lenses falling out or cracking. Also came across positive feedback, but I'm not sure whether or not to purchase them anymore. I want polarized glass lenses so there aren't many options out there it seems.

MondayMonkey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Costa Del Mar any good?

Post by MondayMonkey » Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:14 am

I'm on my 3rd pair of 580 lensed glasses. 2 580p 1 580g. I have absolutely zero complaints. I've owned polarized oakleys, raybans, wileys, smiths, bolle'. CDM have been my favorites so far my pairs range in age from 2 months to 3 years and they've held up great only 1 small scratch on my oldest pair of plastic lenses dropped them on gravel. Got my first pair of glass lenses a few months ago and they are amazing. Noticeably heavier than the plastic but imo also clearer and I only notice the weight if I put them on after I've had the plastic lenses on prior. Both pair are Seven Mile frames so it's easy to compare.

I've never used their repair or warranty service but I talked to a few who have when I was doing my own due diligence and guys seem pretty happy with it. There are also several other threads here in the forums about CDM and 580P/G you'll want to search them out.

cst
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by cst » Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:20 am

They're great! I had a very basic model of the CDM's a LONG time ago and they were good but the rubber that sits on your ear eventually melted away. It was either from the heat of the car's interior or a reaction to some oil from either my skin or some bait. I could have had it fixed but I never did.

Three years ago I bought another pair of CDM's. This time I went with the 580. Those are some great lenses. I went with the Amberish color initially but I left the glasses at work and someone broke one of the lenses somehow. It took me close to a year but I finally sent it to get it fixed.

They upgraded my lenses to the Silver Mirror at no extra cost. The mirror lenses are even better.

One thing with the glass lens is it fogs up a lot. There's a fix for it but I'm too lazy to buy the anti fog spray from amazon heh.

I've dropped it twice from slightly above hip level in the last month and it's survived both of those without any scratches.

MondayMonkey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by MondayMonkey » Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:28 am

One thing I've learned is some sunscreens can be insanely corrosive to plastics, rubber, paint, etc lol. I'd venture a guess that might have been what melted yours. It's one of the reasons long ago I switched to wide brimmed hats and a face buff and ditched sunscreen on my face completely.

brwn_bggr
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by brwn_bggr » Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:57 am

MondayMonkey wrote:One thing I've learned is some sunscreens can be insanely corrosive to plastics, rubber, paint, etc lol. I'd venture a guess that might have been what melted yours. It's one of the reasons long ago I switched to wide brimmed hats and a face buff and ditched sunscreen on my face completely.
Indeed...! And bug dope if that applies...pun or not

MondayMonkey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by MondayMonkey » Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:09 am

Yep bug spray too. I remember a few years back I took my old beater car and went surfing I was applying that heavy thick Banana Boat 8 hour Surf and Sun stuff. I got a blob on the roof of my car didn't care surfed all day. Went home and washed my car the next day. After washing off the baked in sunscreen blob I found there was no paint underneath. Needless to say I never used that particular brand/version again lol.

fisherman012
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by fisherman012 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:58 am

I have owned some Costa Harpoons with the 580 g green mirror lens and they are awesome....I got my dad a pair for christmas last year and now every time we are out on the water he's talking about how much better he can see. They are great.

Toadslayer72
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Toadslayer72 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:03 am

Got my first pair this year and I can't imagine fishing life without them now. 580 G in green mirror is what I have and I love them.

Silas
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Silas » Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:18 am

I have the 580G Blackfin in green mirror and the Permit in Blue Mirror. Also a pair of the Ballast 580P in Amber. All 3 are excellent!! I'm a sunglass fiend and have Ray Bans, present and vintage, Wileys, and Maui Jims.
I am most satisfied with the Costas. the Maui Jims in amber glass are almost as good.

Boondock
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Boondock » Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:28 am

Over rated! Shitty warranty
Have had two different models. The lenses are pretty nice but one frame came apart. 8 or 9 months old and I had to pay $30 and some change to get that fixed on $250 glasses.
Totaled my fault but one lens shattered when dropped on my tile floor... $130+ to get that fixed.

fisherman012
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by fisherman012 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:21 pm

Boondock wrote:Over rated! Shitty warranty
Have had two different models. The lenses are pretty nice but one frame came apart. 8 or 9 months old and I had to pay $30 and some change to get that fixed on $250 glasses.
Totaled my fault but one lens shattered when dropped on my tile floor... $130+ to get that fixed.
ah one person always doesnt like em. I would recommend them they are awesome. I have had a couple of friends who say their customer service is great.

mikeysam
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by mikeysam » Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:25 am

CDM with 580g lenses are simply the best. I find mine very durable. I can't imagine a better pair of sunglasses for fishing.

Bassmar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bassmar » Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:40 am

Another satisfied Costa user. I have 4 pairs in various styles with 580G lenses. No issues yet. Best sunglasses I have owned. :D

JDLaman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by JDLaman » Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:32 am

I have several pairs with the 580G lenses and they are the best in my opinion. I have worn a pair of Switchfoots for the last 4 years on a daily basis. I fish on average twice a week and never had a single problem. I have the green mirror lenses.