Buying Tackle Online...Yes or No??

Anything and everything related to fishing tackle. If you cannot find the sub-category for your topic, go ahead and post it in here!

ONE way of buying all your tackle, would you buy it online or from the local tackle shop?

Local tackle shop
10%
Online shopping
90%

Total votes: 104

KeithP
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Buying Tackle Online...Yes or No??

Post by KeithP » Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:02 pm

I wanted to see how other people feel about buying your tackle online…do you buy online or at the tackle shop more often?? What are some decent sites that I should check out? Is there any equipment that you would only buy in person at a tackle shop?

zalan
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Buying Tackle Online...Yes or No??

Post by zalan » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:52 pm

KeithP wrote:I wanted to see how other people feel about buying your tackle online…do you buy online or at the tackle shop more often?? What are some decent sites that I should check out? Is there any equipment that you would only buy in person at a tackle shop?
Clothing is the only thing where I need to see it. Trousers, jackets, boots, etc needs the correct sizing and it is very difficult to buy online. Other than that, online all the way.

tywithay
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by tywithay » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:27 pm

I do both. I buy local from gander, cabelas, academy, etc. But if they're lacking colors or whatever else, I buy online.

Mnbasser
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Mnbasser » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:36 pm

Almost always buy online. The local places we have that do sell tackle mainly cater to walleye and musky fisherman, so to get everything I want I have to buy online.

njbasscat
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by njbasscat » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:42 pm

Almost everything I buy now for fishing is online. Local shops around me don't carry much in the way of tackle and forget about rods and reels. If you are looking for reputable online shops, use board sponsors like Tackle Trap, Tackle Warehouse, Hi's, Monster Fishing Tackle, etc. They are all top knotch with Tackle Trap getting my vote for the best customer service and Tackle Warehouse being a close second.

Dexter
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Dexter » Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:01 pm

Agree with njbasscat. Additionally, his recommendations have serious expertise! Tackle trap, tackle warehouse, Hi's offer levels
insight and know how cabels/gander/bps don't seem to match. I find it very frustrating when I ask the cabels clerk a tackle question and all I get is "derrr". Just my 2 cents.

Dex

Finnz922
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Finnz922 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:43 pm

Try shopping in Omaha, Ne for all your needs. Online shopping rules around my house.

cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by cndbasshunter » Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:08 am

i support the local shop for whatever he has instock, if he doesn't i order online.

angry john
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by angry john » Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:09 am

I do most of my buying at TW, but have also had good experences at the tackle trap. I will support a good local tackle shop, if i believe they are not gouging. I understand that they have higher overhead and lower volume so have to charge more. Double the price is not it!!!!

BigG
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BigG » Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:17 am

I buy 98% online, I don't even go into a Bass Pro when I drive by. I do go to The Trackle Trap regularity to look at rods I'm interested in, but it's more social than shopping. Gary and Brian great guys to deal with. TTT, TW, THUT and TT :D

Lawaia
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Lawaia » Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:38 am

I’ll usually just stop at Hi’s or Fisherman’s Warehouse, otherwise it’s online from TW, Saltwater E, LBFish, StripersOL.

USA-RET
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by USA-RET » Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:49 am

Most of my terminal tackle (hooks) and baits (Zoom, Stick-O, Net bait) I buy at my local Bass Pro shop. Rods (always) and reels (usually) get bought on line (exception being if BPS has a reel I'm interested in - Daiwa Steez, Shimano Chronarch - I use my rewards or wait for the spring Classic trade in program). I get 10% off all my purchases there as a Vet too.

I use TW a lot when they have their sales and I can grab some unique baits not available at BPS and take advantage of the rods discounts. When they have their 15-20% off I load up on everything, (knowing I will use item throughout the year).

I steer all my specialty tackle needs to The Tackle Trap. :D

wbook01
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by wbook01 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:50 am

I like the economy of online shopping, the savings I can get by shopping smart. It lets me buy better tackle, and more of it.

I also like the ability to "travel" in a heartbeat. I can look at slab spoons at a Texas website, hop over to Japan to look at JDM reels, drop into the St. Croix bargain room to see what's new there, and finish up at TW, all while enjoying my morning coffee. That's cool.

KeithP
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by KeithP » Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:40 am

Thanks for all the replies and recommendations guys. The only complaint I would have with all of the sites that I've come across for getting my gear online is that their sites are all so packed with links and crap...not exactly conducive to just browsing around. I feel like you have to know exactly what it is that you're looking for, find the category that it falls under, and go from there. Do you guys like it the way they're set up? Or think they could be better?

tywithay
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by tywithay » Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:54 am

I've never had an issue with the setup. If I want line, I click line. If I want rods, I click rods. Pretty painless, in my opinion.