Embarrassing Problem

Anything and everything related to fishing tackle. If you cannot find the sub-category for your topic, go ahead and post it in here!
Mcyl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Embarrassing Problem

Post by Mcyl » Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:07 pm

jacob95 wrote:I can't overhand cast with a baitcaster. I went on a 3 day fishing trip to Hamlin Lake in Ludington, MI this past weekend and I spent more time untangling my birds nests than actually fishing. I can cast sidehand without getting tangled up with a decent amount of accuracy and distance but when I try to overhand I just can't do it. What do you guys think my problem is?
How's the casting been going? Mate, I got an even more embarrassing problem... I can't cast spin setups worth a damn.

takrat 67
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by takrat 67 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:39 pm

Hey Mcyl,
I know your problem, I've got a mate who's so good with a baitcaster he picks up a spinner upside down. Seriously This is an embarrassing problem. For some reason when you practice at home things come together OK, but out in the boat with others and maybe not being able to use your preferred natural swing it all goes to the toilet. Practising as many different casting styles is one way out, that way you can adapt to whatever is happening around you. I even get a few back hand casts. For some reason overhead casts seem to bring out the tennis player in some of us; we try to go for aces all the time. Just back off a bit. If your mono is old it could also be a problem. Mono has a memory like an elephant, and all those coils don't help. Maybe you should try a quality braid.
:idea:

jacob95
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jacob95 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:19 pm

Mcyl wrote:
jacob95 wrote:I can't overhand cast with a baitcaster. I went on a 3 day fishing trip to Hamlin Lake in Ludington, MI this past weekend and I spent more time untangling my birds nests than actually fishing. I can cast sidehand without getting tangled up with a decent amount of accuracy and distance but when I try to overhand I just can't do it. What do you guys think my problem is?
How's the casting been going? Mate, I got an even more embarrassing problem... I can't cast spin setups worth a damn.
Haven't had a chance to practice. But after reading these suggestions I think it's that I'm releasing the spool too late.

Mcyl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Mcyl » Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:37 pm

Takrat: with spin my index finger gets caught up half the time trying to feather the line, when I pitch it always seem to overshoot and splashdown, wind knots with braid...and often a mess when line tangles with...everything. Oh and skipping was funny... Bait ends up 10 ft inside the mangroves....haha
I keep telling myself to keep fishing spin but...besides light jigging its all BC for me. Good thing tho however even a sienna 1000fd can come up with the goods in terms of performance.
Maybe I need to go on a trip with only a spin setup...

TTF has changed me...well US bass fishing friends have changed me... It feels strange fishing with braid nowadays....

Mcyl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Mcyl » Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:45 pm

jacob95 wrote:
Mcyl wrote:
Haven't had a chance to practice. But after reading these suggestions I think it's that I'm releasing the spool too late.
I found I had problems like that in the beginning especially with rods too strong and fast. When I first started BFS I used a LTB 610MLXF casting 1/8 blades. Had similar probs to what you described. That problem went away when I moved to a much softer regular tapered Volkey XUL.

Nowadays I can cast these weights (not far) in a LXC70MF, I let more line out, right out to around 20-24" and load the rod up on the back swing smoothly when casting overhead, most importantly of all... Always maintain contact between thumb and spool. With many reels this last few months quite a few of them have near thumbless operation thanks to powerful brakes, but its still better to monitor on the fly with your thumb as you cast. This has made the greatest difference in my casting ability

basskeeter1
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by basskeeter1 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:36 am

jacob95 wrote:My brake was set so when the bait hit the water the spool stopped spinning.

You just need to spend more time on that technique.

Fbass
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Fbass » Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:10 am

Try casting with the handle facing down rather than sideways. That's more natural on your wrist

jjpatton
Angler
Angler

Post by jjpatton » Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:23 pm

ClearCreek wrote:
lpquick wrote:I agree with everything already said, and would like to add:
Make sure you release the spool when the rod is in the 10 or 11 o’clock position after going past 12 which is straight up over head. If you wait to long to release the spool as when your rod is facing straight ahead the energy of the rod unloading will release your bait downward instead of forward. Think of a big clock face in front of you when practicing, remember easy fluid motion during practice you’re not trying to bomb it out there a mile, just learning and remembering the right motion for a fluid overhand cast. Good luck with your practicing.
lpquick has given you the advice you need. You are releasing the thumb pressure too late. If you release the thumb pressure at 11 o'clock or just past when your rod is straight up you should be able to complete your overhead casts without a backlash. Practice this in your yard or some open space and you will soon be able to go from overhead casts to side arm casts with no problem.

ClearCreek

+1- cast like you are aiming toward something in the air (neighbors roof, top of tree, etc) until you get the motion down