homemade spooling station

Anything and everything related to fishing tackle. If you cannot find the sub-category for your topic, go ahead and post it in here!
kingkong
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

homemade spooling station

Post by kingkong » Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:50 am

My homemade spooling station. Replica of the Berkeley spooling station
ImageImageImage

johnnybassboat
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: homemade spooling station

Post by johnnybassboat » Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:25 am

Looks like a project I might have to tackle. No pun intended. Nice job KingKong.

kingkong
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by kingkong » Sat Nov 09, 2013 1:35 pm

Thanks

njbasscat
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by njbasscat » Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:10 am

What did you use to put tension on the spool? Do you have problems with the spool spinning? Your L bracket looks like it just sits in the hole and would spin under tension. Cool concept. My Berkley spool station just broke after many years of use and I am thinking about building one.

kingkong
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by kingkong » Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:49 pm

I'm not finish yet. Still need to secure the metal pipe that holds the spool and a way to put tension on the spool.

ClearCreek
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by ClearCreek » Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:47 am

njbasscat wrote:What did you use to put tension on the spool? Do you have problems with the spool spinning? Your L bracket looks like it just sits in the hole and would spin under tension. Cool concept. My Berkley spool station just broke after many years of use and I am thinking about building one.
I had the same question. Kingkong has a good idea and a nice concept; however, if anyone has an idea how to rig up something that would apply tension to the line spool please offer some ideas.

ClearCreek

ClearCreek
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by ClearCreek » Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:57 am

I just looked at the set up again and have this idea:

What if you would make the block holding the rod that the line spool fits over a little taller and then run a threaded rod through the block and hold in place with washers and nuts on each side. Then use wing nuts, washers and springs on each side of the line spool to get the tension you want.

The only issue I foresee with this is if you put a lot of tension on the line spool it may put too much torque on the line spool set up and tend to twist it toward the reel.

ClearCreek

johnnybassboat
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by johnnybassboat » Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:55 am

ClearCreek wrote:
njbasscat wrote:What did you use to put tension on the spool? Do you have problems with the spool spinning? Your L bracket looks like it just sits in the hole and would spin under tension. Cool concept. My Berkley spool station just broke after many years of use and I am thinking about building one.
I had the same question. Kingkong has a good idea and a nice concept; however, if anyone has an idea how to rig up something that would apply tension to the line spool please offer some ideas.

ClearCreek
I built one today. I used a threaded rod with a couple washers and a spring to put tension on the spool. I installed the parts in this order, washer, line spool, another washer, slide spring on rod, another washer, then a wing nut to tension spool.

johnnybassboat
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by johnnybassboat » Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:02 am

Oops guess I should read all posts before I post mine. :D I drilled thru the wood block horizontal instead of vertical. I also used a 5/16 inch threaded rod, dont think its flexing much. I also put nuts on both sides of the wood block to hold threaded rod secure.

pharmboy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by pharmboy » Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:13 am

I'd like to make something like the "spooling buddy" - those things are cool but $$

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Spoolin_ ... BMJR4.html

kingkong
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by kingkong » Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:33 am

As mentioned, the idea is from the Berkeley spooling station. All the credit goes to Berkeley. I just wanted to share my project with you guys. Was at the local hardware store and I found out what to use. I got the idea from looking at the P-Line spooling assistant. Another product I am copying. lol.. my local hardware store has springs, split collar, and rubber/cork stopper of different diameter. So buy 2 springs, 2 split collar, 2 rubber or cork stopper (your choice and must be tapered), and 4 washers. It is important that you get the hardware in the same diameter as your rod. Drill a hole through the stopper. Diameter will be the same as your rod and drill the hole in the center of the stopper. The order will be split collar washer spring washer stopper spool stopper washer spring washer and split collar.
Edit: I haven't bought the hardware yet. I just totaled the price for the hardware and it came out to 14 bucks before tax. Since the p line spooling assistant is the same price I'll might be buying the p line spooling assistant instead.
Last edited by kingkong on Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

kingkong
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by kingkong » Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:38 am

pharmboy wrote:I'd like to make something like the "spooling buddy" - those things are cool but $$

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Spoolin_ ... BMJR4.html

It looks easy and should be a quicker build. What I would use is 2x4 plywood a metal rod and screws.

kingkong
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by kingkong » Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:52 am

Finished
ImageImageImage

Fbass
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Fbass » Sun Dec 01, 2013 4:31 am

Nice one !! I made something similar but didn't think of using cork as a spacer, used cardboard instead. That's a good idea. Being a lazy sob I use my power screw driver fitted with the socket that matches the handle nut on my reel to crank the reel. I can set it on the drilling mode, not as fast as a bona fide drill but lots faster than my wrist!!

kingkong
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by kingkong » Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:54 am

Thanks. Once I get better I'll start using a power tool to speed up the process. You have a good idea about using a socket on the handle nut. I'll use that also and see how that works.