What lure disappointed you the most?

Anything and everything related to fishing tackle. If you cannot find the sub-category for your topic, go ahead and post it in here!
Seph
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: What lure disappointed you the most?

Post by Seph » Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:09 pm

Xcalibur Xr50 lipless baits...in my hands they simply do NOT 'swim'/'rattle' at any speed other than a full bore retrieve. Makes it very difficult to YoYo much less catch fish. They can be retrieved at a speed that will hold them at 3 feet and deeper and will not wobble on the retrieve. I have to fish so fast they stay less than 2 feet deep with 10 lb fluoro. What a junk lure.

Crankbaitmaker
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Crankbaitmaker » Sun Feb 02, 2014 5:33 pm

Really? That's a fish catching machine with a fluke on it! I love the 1/4oz with an albino fluke.
Funny you should say that because a small pearl colored fluke is what I started with. However, a friend of mine did tell me afterwards that the 1/4 oz head works pretty well. After getting nothing out of the 3/16 head I just couldn't see throwing any more money at this thing.

Crankbaitmaker

DUZBASS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by DUZBASS » Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:13 pm

+1 on the magic swimmer, but also the chrome colored red eyed shads. I tried 3 when they first came out and not one of three lasted more than 5 or so casts without sloughing off chrome like a bad sunburn ](*,) One of them was basically ruined on the first cast!

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:58 pm

I was going to the "Helicopter Lure" but I had low expectations and it actually caught fish. The "Flying Lure" was another with low expectations and lived up to them.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:51 am

Seph wrote:Xcalibur Xr50 lipless baits...in my hands they simply do NOT 'swim'/'rattle' at any speed other than a full bore retrieve. Makes it very difficult to YoYo much less catch fish. They can be retrieved at a speed that will hold them at 3 feet and deeper and will not wobble on the retrieve. I have to fish so fast they stay less than 2 feet deep with 10 lb fluoro. What a junk lure.
I killed the bass this past year with these baits...I got mine for like $2.49 each during a Cabela's blowout...different batches?

Granted I only fish the 3/4 and 1oz XRs...BTW, the 1-Knockers KILL IT! 8-)

FWIW, anything with "Strike King" label the last decade or so has been at best, mediocre in my estimation.

antoniolopez944
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by antoniolopez944 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:06 pm

Banjo minnow lol, this bait has caught more fishermen than fish.

MaxZmus
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MaxZmus » Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:13 am

Triggerfish the steerable lure

All the videos looks sick but that lure is hard to work. IT's not fun spending time on the water trying to figure out how to work a bait when that time should be spent fishing.

Afrayedknot
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Afrayedknot » Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:18 am

dragon1 wrote:
Seph wrote:Xcalibur Xr50 lipless baits...in my hands they simply do NOT 'swim'/'rattle' at any speed other than a full bore retrieve. Makes it very difficult to YoYo much less catch fish. They can be retrieved at a speed that will hold them at 3 feet and deeper and will not wobble on the retrieve. I have to fish so fast they stay less than 2 feet deep with 10 lb fluoro. What a junk lure.
I killed the bass this past year with these baits...I got mine for like $2.49 each during a Cabela's blowout...different batches?

Granted I only fish the 3/4 and 1oz XRs...BTW, the 1-Knockers KILL IT! 8-)

FWIW, anything with "Strike King" label the last decade or so has been at best, mediocre in my estimation.
Strike king lures have disappointed me as well. The tolerances on the spinnerbaits are so poor. I bought 5-6 in the last few years, and all except one had a crooked led head. The whole bleeding shad thing with the spinnerbaits is kinda gimmicky as well.

The KVD squarebills are a bit of a disappointment as well. I have had the bill fall out on a few, and I find the line tie on the bill to be weak. Every 100 casts or so it needs to be tuned again which I think is because the wire/metal bends towards the center again. The hooks are quite bad as well. They do catch fish, and track very nicely though!

DUZBASS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by DUZBASS » Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:29 am

antoniolopez944 wrote:Banjo minnow lol, this bait has caught more fishermen than fish.
I caught a ton of fish on banjos i got for xmas when I was a kid when they first came out. It fishes just like a fluke really, but the nose hook can make things difficult.

zodiak311
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by zodiak311 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:05 pm

I believe the Reaction Poseidon, was a swim bait that just wasn't working for me.

Seph
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Seph » Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:30 am

DUZBASS wrote:
antoniolopez944 wrote:Banjo minnow lol, this bait has caught more fishermen than fish.
I caught a ton of fish on banjos i got for xmas when I was a kid when they first came out. It fishes just like a fluke really, but the nose hook can make things difficult.
When it first came out I was 13 and convinced my dad to let me order this product from TV (had to mow a few lawns and do some chores of course). It remains the only TV product I have EVER purchased. In that pre-internet world where everything I knew about fishing was hard-won, a fishing 'system' that came with a VHS instructional tape that explained how everything was intended to be fished was a logic windfall. I caught a lot of fish with this product. Gimmicky - maybe. Bit hardly disappointing for me..

facelessnewsouth
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by facelessnewsouth » Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:34 am

Seph wrote:
DUZBASS wrote:
When it first came out I was 13 and convinced my dad to let me order this product from TV (had to mow a few lawns and do some chores of course). It remains the only TV product I have EVER purchased. In that pre-internet world where everything I knew about fishing was hard-won, a fishing 'system' that came with a VHS instructional tape that explained how everything was intended to be fished was a logic windfall. I caught a lot of fish with this product. Gimmicky - maybe. Bit hardly disappointing for me..
I know for a fact that the Banjo Minnow is still your go-to bait.

How's everything been, buddy?

JWR075
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by JWR075 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:55 am

Mann's hard worm. Never got any bites off of one. Ended up cutting the hooks off and making a key ring for my shop keys out of it.

http://www.gunauction.com/buy/10531191/ ... ent-orange

Toadslayer72
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Toadslayer72 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:33 am

Thinking back, I remember being somewhat disappointed with both the Kangaroo Worms and Culprit Sticky Worms. I'll be damned if I wasn't packing those Kangaroo Worms with little pieces of Alka-Seltzer and/or scent soaked pieces of cotton.......just like they told me to :lol:

CALL ME RIFLE
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by CALL ME RIFLE » Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:35 am

JWR075 wrote:Mann's hard worm. Never got any bites off of one. Ended up cutting the hooks off and making a key ring for my shop keys out of it.

http://www.gunauction.com/buy/10531191/ ... ent-orange
OH MAN, I had forgotten about that one, the Hard worm....lmao, yeah buddy, those were just awful, maybe worse than the Dances Eel...some interesting replies here, interesting to see how some folks poisons are other folks pleasures...like the flying lure, saw someone mentioned that as a loser...man, I used to kill pond bass with those...makes you wonder what the difference is....geographical location, presentation, who knows...
I would also like to add the original power pak lure as well as the later Chuck Woolery copy thereof....actually caught some nice fish on the originals in a private pond once upon a time, but I am sure it was only because they were starving. Good concept really, if they had looked more realistic perhaps, and would have been water tight...