What lure disappointed you the most?

Anything and everything related to fishing tackle. If you cannot find the sub-category for your topic, go ahead and post it in here!
CALL ME RIFLE
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

What lure disappointed you the most?

Post by CALL ME RIFLE » Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:17 am

Certainly we have all purchased lures that we imagined would perform well, only to see that they flat out sucked when it came time to see what they could do lol...I think my biggest lure disappointment came from the much vaunted "Dances Eel"....man, I swore that thing looked like it would be a sure enough slayer, but I never caught anything with em, and never even personally knew anyone who had success with them..I had high hopes for those too, they really looked decent...
What about y'all?

Afrayedknot
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: What lure disappointed you the most?

Post by Afrayedknot » Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:29 am

CALL ME RIFLE wrote:Certainly we have all purchased lures that we imagined would perform well, only to see that they flat out sucked when it came time to see what they could do lol...I think my biggest lure disappointment came from the much vaunted "Dances Eel"....man, I swore that thing looked like it would be a sure enough slayer, but I never caught anything with em, and never even personally knew anyone who had success with them..I had high hopes for those too, they really looked decent...
What about y'all?
I could not for the life of me get the dances eel to run straight.. The lure that disappointed my the most was probably that as well.

Bronzeye
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bronzeye » Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:10 am

Same here on results and tracking. The pike did like one of them one morning, but their teeth were not kind to it.

My biggest disappointment, though, was the Harrison Vibra Bat, since I was a kid when I finally talked my father into buying it and I had really believed the ads for it. Not one fish.

Afrayedknot
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Afrayedknot » Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:23 am

Another would be the z-man chatterbaits, specifically the 1/8 and 1/4 oz sizes. The hook is so unbelievably weak on them that you could probably straighten it on a 1 pounder..

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:54 pm

Afrayedknot wrote:Another would be the z-man chatterbaits, specifically the 1/8 and 1/4 oz sizes. The hook is so unbelievably weak on them that you could probably straighten it on a 1 pounder..
Those hooks are garbage, but that 1/8oz. size is great on spinning tackle around smaller bait. I wish Barlow's or Lure Parts Online would pour a head and sell a blade that small.

africanbass
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by africanbass » Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:28 pm

The Sebile magic swimmer,looks fantastic in the water.The amazing action however does not produce for me.I have given this lure(numerous sizes)plenty of time on the water with very little joy :?
The soft plastic version is however one of my favorites,the bass smash this lure.
Go figure :-k

Crankbaitmaker
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Crankbaitmaker » Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:54 pm

The Scrounger. I have tried multiple sizes and types of plastics on the 3/16 head and all the thing does is just run straight with no action. Just a waste.

Crankbaitmaker

njbasscat
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by njbasscat » Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:56 pm

A horse head under spin lure that Aaron Martens fished in the Pittsburgh Classic a while ago. I thought these things would destroy suspended smallmouth bass. I have used them around schooling bass and rarely get bit.

Boondock
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Boondock » Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:12 pm

africanbass wrote:The Sebile magic swimmer,looks fantastic in the water.The amazing action however does not produce for me.I have given this lure(numerous sizes)plenty of time on the water with very little joy :?
The soft plastic version is however one of my favorites,the bass smash this lure.
Go figure :-k
Yep! Didn't work for me either

Afrayedknot
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Afrayedknot » Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:24 pm

toddmc wrote:
Afrayedknot wrote:Another would be the z-man chatterbaits, specifically the 1/8 and 1/4 oz sizes. The hook is so unbelievably weak on them that you could probably straighten it on a 1 pounder..
Those hooks are garbage, but that 1/8oz. size is great on spinning tackle around smaller bait. I wish Barlow's or Lure Parts Online would pour a head and sell a blade that small.
All the other chatterbaits on the market that I have found that in the 1/8th size are $7+ which is more than I would spend on a chatterbait.

KlingerNOK
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by KlingerNOK » Sat Feb 01, 2014 1:45 am

Crankbaitmaker wrote:The Scrounger. I have tried multiple sizes and types of plastics on the 3/16 head and all the thing does is just run straight with no action. Just a waste.

Crankbaitmaker
Really? That's a fish catching machine with a fluke on it! I love the 1/4oz with an albino fluke.
I'd say my more disappointing lures have been hard swimbaits in general. There have been a few times I've gotten onto a good bite with a BBZ1 shad or Sebile Magic Swimmer, but those days have been few and far between. I catch 'em pretty good on soft swimbaits but not hard ones. They look awesome in the water though.

QUAKEnSHAKE
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by QUAKEnSHAKE » Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:37 am

Spro Baby BBZ1

cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by cndbasshunter » Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:51 am

R2S spinnerbaits

Toadslayer72
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Toadslayer72 » Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:53 am

CALL ME RIFLE wrote:Certainly we have all purchased lures that we imagined would perform well, only to see that they flat out sucked when it came time to see what they could do lol...I think my biggest lure disappointment came from the much vaunted "Dances Eel"....man, I swore that thing looked like it would be a sure enough slayer, but I never caught anything with em, and never even personally knew anyone who had success with them..I had high hopes for those too, they really looked decent...
What about y'all?
Dance's Eel was the first thing that came to my mind and I though I'd be the only one to post it too :lol: The craw (more like lobster) wasn't any better. That is so funny!

pharmboy2010
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by pharmboy2010 » Sat Feb 01, 2014 1:05 pm

Two lures immediately came to mind. The Luck E Strike Warthog cranks and Mad Man Mooneyham craws. Couldn't get the Warthogs to run straight. The Mooneyham craws looked awesome, but just never produced for me.