New gear help for a noob.

Anything and everything related to fishing tackle. If you cannot find the sub-category for your topic, go ahead and post it in here!
SteelSaw
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

New gear help for a noob.

Post by SteelSaw » Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:35 am

Hi there everyone. I have always enjoyed fishing. However for the longest time an Ugly Stick and some 30$ spinner real is all I used. I want to upgrade to something of quality that will last. I have been looking at different things and frankly it is making my head spin. So any help is appreciated. I have mainly looked at rods, reels I don't have as much of an idea on. my budget is $200 or so. I am looking for eiter baitcaster setups or spinner reels.

I will link some of the rods I was looking at and any suggestions would greatly be appreciated.
E21 Wild Black CWZ701M-F-C
St. Croix Rage RC71MF
Quantum Smoke HSX70
Daiwa Ballistic BLS701MFS
Shimano Compre
Cabela's Fish Eagle 50

lape0019
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: New gear help for a noob.

Post by lape0019 » Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:53 am

I have an old school shimano compre and couldn't be happier. The new model has a higher HM rating so it should be more sensitive than the older model. I can say with confidence that you would be happy with a rod from that lineup.

new2BC4bass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by new2BC4bass » Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:16 am

This is going to be almost all hearsay, so take it for what it's worth....zilch. :mrgreen:

I own one Compre. It is alright, but I think the Omen Black and Fenwick Smallmouth are better rods in this price bracket.

My Ballistic is the crankbait model and unfished as yet. So no comment.

I think it was a fiberglass Fish Eagle 50 that a guy recently posted about in a crankbait rod thread. He said after 40 years of fishing crankbaits, he had found his favorite rod. However, you probably won't want a fiberglass rod for everyday fishing. I've never researched the graphite models. So no help there either. :(

I've gotten correspondence from a couple different guys from different parts of the country (one using a spinning rod, the other a casting rod) who feel the Smoke is an excellent rod. Very light and very strong with good sensitivity. A sleeper. Never handled one, but will be buying one this year before bass season opens. I trust both gentlemen's opinions.

I own zero St, Croix rods. A friend fishes nothing else. None of his are a Rage (unless he got one over the winter), but it is a St. Croix so I doubt it could be a bad choice.

The Wild Black is an unknown. I've read only one comment (that I can recall) on this series. The guy was impressed with his rod. He mentioned it was very light and had excellent sensitivity. I know the Carrot sticks ddn't have a very good reputation for reliabilty. (And were ugly.) Hopefully the Wild Black is a better rod. Compitition is good for all of us.

You probably don't know any more now than you did before I posted. :laugh1: :laugh1:

I had to add something because I doubt many on this site will reply with a comment on any of the rods you mentioned other than the Rage and possibly the Smoke. Most of these guys here fish high end rods. Very few of us fish middle of the road rods. At least that is my opinion after being a member for the past 5 years.

EDIT: Wouldn't you know the Compre got mentioned while I was typing. Must be a few Shimano guys migrated from that other fishing forum! :big grin: :whistle: :big grin: My Compre is the older model.

lape0019
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by lape0019 » Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:30 pm

new2BC4bass wrote: EDIT: Wouldn't you know the Compre got mentioned while I was typing. Must be a few Shimano guys migrated from that other fishing forum! :big grin: :whistle: :big grin: My Compre is the older model.
LOL,

For the record, I do not fish Shimano anymore. This rod was my first higher end rod and now I havemoved on the Dobyns and Megabass rods.

Comparing a Compre to a Champion is not fair so I stuck with what I knew about the Shimano. I have held the omen black in store and was very impressed. I would recomend looking into them as well but for actually fishing a rod, the only one mentioned that I had used was the Compre so I stuck to it.

NJ Jigman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by NJ Jigman » Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:02 am

I have both smokes and Fenwick elites and both are great sticks. I don't have any compares but do have both crutials and cumaras and both are awesome I would imagine the compares are good too. Any that you mentioned will be a big step up from the uglystick

FishyFingers
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by FishyFingers » Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:48 am

For $200 brand new I would recommend this....

Casting: Reel- Shimano Caenan $89.99 The gear ratio you want here is in the 6:2:1 area which is where this reel is
Rod- Shimano Compre $109.99 An all around versatile rod would probably be a 7 foot medium heavy fast action

Spinning: Reel-Shimano Sahara $89.99
Rod -Shimano Compre $109.99 You probably want to go with a medium power rod here with a fast action

Take a look at some used equipment and you may be able to get some better stuff at the same price point.

Seph
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Seph » Sat Apr 12, 2014 2:49 am

SteelSaw wrote:for the longest time an Ugly Stick and some 30$ spinner real is all I used. I want to upgrade to something of quality that will last.
Welcome to the board. I would like to commend you for looking to upgrade, but be careful the tackle upgrade monkey will need to be fed.

I am reading a bit into your words, but... If you are accustomed to UglyStik rods, the term 'quality that will last' may have different meaning to you than it does to me. Median to high end freshwater bass fishing rods, when handled incorrectly, break very easily. UglyStiks are very durable in this regard,but they are nowhere near as sensitive. Please keep this in mind. There are not any high quality bass rods that take much abuse and still function.

Stay away from E21 //Carrotstixx - Wild Black (my opinion) this company has changed hands recently and have had severe issues with warranty validation. Others are good options.

H8R
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by H8R » Sat Apr 12, 2014 3:11 am

baitcasting
reel: shimano citica
Rod: 13fishing Omen Black

Spinning:
reel: Shimano Symetre
rod: Shimano Compre

FishyFingers
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by FishyFingers » Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:46 am

I am reading a bit into your words, but... If you are accustomed to UglyStik rods, the term 'quality that will last' may have different meaning to you than it does to me. Median to high end freshwater bass fishing rods, when handled incorrectly, break very easily. UglyStiks are very durable in this regard,but they are nowhere near as sensitive. Please keep this in mind. There are not any high quality bass rods that take much abuse and still function.
True. UglyStiks are tanks that you can beat the crap out of for years. You will have to be more careful with other brands.

angry john
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by angry john » Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:57 am

One rod in your price range that may be worth a look are the mag touch rods. They have a great look and good price. If looking used which I would highly recommend your budget will go a lot further. As a first baitcaster the daiwa advantage htsa. There a little heavy but easy to learn on and have a great braking system.

aprestonSEK
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by aprestonSEK » Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:43 pm

I would recommend:

Spinning:
Rod: $99- Omen 6'10 ML for small senkos, light texas rigs, shakeyhead, or any other finesse technique.
Reel: Shimano Sahara($79) or Shimano Symetre($99) in the 1000 or 2500 size depending on what pound test you will be using and how much line you need.

Casting:
Rod: $99- Omen 7'1 M
Reel: $99- Lew's Speed Spool OR $79 Lew's Lazer MG Speed Spool. I would recommend a 6:4:1 gear ratio.