How many duplicate baits do you carry with you?

Anything and everything related to fishing tackle. If you cannot find the sub-category for your topic, go ahead and post it in here!
Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

How many duplicate baits do you carry with you?

Post by Johnny A » Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:26 am

I was just curious. I carry one of each bait, per pattern (unless of course jigs and plastics). Anybody carry muliple copies of a bait?

Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Re: How many duplicate baits do you carry with you?

Post by Teal101 » Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:02 am

If it's a bait I know I use a lot and catch fish on, I have 2+ in the box at all times. Always sucks losing one and not having a replacement for it when the bite is on. I have a lot of baits I just have one of. Until they are proven catchers for me, I only keep one. Rapala DT-4's and DT-6's I have 2-6 of each of my patterns on me at any one time.

Plastics are an addiction for me, I have BAGS of them. Big producers I have 10+ bags usually, I keep 3 in the boat. Especially brittle ones like Senkos.

Shimano-Or-Nothing
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Shimano-Or-Nothing » Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:09 am

Always buy in 2's. If it is something I use a lot, I sometimes have 5 or more of that particular bait.

Mnbasser
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Mnbasser » Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:08 am

At least two of each bait I use a lot and have confidence in. I don't buy multiples of anything unless it's proven to me to be a consistent catcher. I do have an addiction to 1 color of 4" senkos though that I'll buy a place out of anytime I see them on sale.

cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by cndbasshunter » Mon Jun 23, 2014 12:07 pm

Hard baits I have 4 at least. 2-3 in the box and 1 backup.

njbasscat
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by njbasscat » Mon Jun 23, 2014 1:13 pm

With hard baits, it have at least 3 and usually more. With soft baits, I have multiple bags and if it's a a go to bait, I carry as much as 10 extra bags. I have a boat which is basically a floating tackle box.

Bassmar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bassmar » Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:34 pm

When it comes to my proven catchers (hardbaits) I try to keep at least two identical ones in the boat. This goes mainly for cranks. The rest I have one off. Plastics I have two or three packets. The boat's just not big enough :roll:

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Mon Jun 23, 2014 4:19 pm

Yep, proven hard baits I keep two of. If I loose them both they always make more. If it's a new bait, color, pattern I buy one till she proves her worth.

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:24 pm

I used to carry duplicates of baits when I fished from the bank. Since I have a boat it's easier to retrieve those that get snagged, either "too high in the water column" or hung up on sticks or in rocks. Another reason was my move over to JDM baits.
I wanted to carry dupes in the box or on the card but didn't want to expose them to too much heat and stuff. I may have to rethink this. Certain baits are getting torn up, not that I'm complaining about that!
Keep it coming.
j

fishingman88
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by fishingman88 » Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:13 am

2+ for me as well. If it's something I REALLY like, then 5+. In inshore fishing which I do more than anything, I'll carry 10+ bucktails :P

spiderguy4978
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by spiderguy4978 » Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:00 pm

I'm stuck to the shore, but if it's something that has proven it's self I'll generally try to carry two. I actually need to go through my tackle and get rid of some things I just don't throw because I've never caught fish on them or don't have a setup that works for them anymore. I also must be the odd man out I don't carry too many plastics with me as I've never really had luck on them. Senkos are about the only plastic I've ever had repeatable luck on.

trout27
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by trout27 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 2:35 pm

I fish from the bank and kayak so I do not like to carry a ton of dupes. I will carry dupes though of my top three or four hard baits. I also bring an extra bag of my best soft plastics. For jigs I dont carry dupes but will carry same color and style but just different weight.

Thanks,
Ryan

Gone Phishin
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Gone Phishin » Thu Jun 26, 2014 4:19 pm

When it comes to swim jigs I carry at least three in my most used patterns. Pike absolutely love these baits, and bite-offs are pretty common.

Handler
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Handler » Sat Jun 28, 2014 6:16 am

I never carry more than one. If the bites hot and I lose my go to lure, no problem. It just forces me to focus on another technique or try another lure that "should" work. If I can't make it produce when fish are biting, it doesn't belong in the box at all.

87tpita
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by 87tpita » Sat Jun 28, 2014 1:27 pm

Don't carry duplicates of specific baits.. but I carry multiples of each type of bait... usually 2 of each