Most Under Utilized

Anything and everything related to fishing tackle. If you cannot find the sub-category for your topic, go ahead and post it in here!
goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Most Under Utilized

Post by goldrod » Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:28 am

Sonicx360 wrote:Jerkbaits. Tend to buy them out of habit, but end up leaving them in my tackle box since I normally fish in shallow waters. :P

with were you live I would try have the season with just JB..
If you want to get into them, what I did was get me a spec setup and because of that I don't ever leave without it..lol
sounds funny but I don't buy rack models , all these girls walk the runway..it worked for me.

a1712
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by a1712 » Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:57 am

Jigs and Carolina Rigs, I just throw a worm instead. No one has ever proven to me one is better than the other and I have supreme confidence in a worm. Brian.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:33 am

T-Rigged worm...have several bags left, never toss them anymore.

Although this is still a very effective lure/combo in just about any body of water -I find it more challenging to use other type lures and more enjoyable. Avoiding plastics worms and Senko type baits also helps me to avoid deeply hooked fish as well.

Sonicx360
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Sonicx360 » Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:04 am

goldrod wrote:
Sonicx360 wrote:Jerkbaits. Tend to buy them out of habit, but end up leaving them in my tackle box since I normally fish in shallow waters. :P

with were you live I would try have the season with just JB..
If you want to get into them, what I did was get me a spec setup and because of that I don't ever leave without it..lol
sounds funny but I don't buy rack models , all these girls walk the runway..it worked for me.
Since I fish along the shores - have no boat or kayak - I was a tad worried that my hard jerkbaits will not unleash its tantalizing action as they hit the bottom quickly, risking the durability of the bill. For reasons concerning action, I seldom use jigs around my area since frequently they pick up a huge wad of algae from the bottom (most lakes and ponds adjacent to my area has tons of it, especially in summer).

darrin
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by darrin » Sat Jan 10, 2015 3:03 am

The thing I have gotten away from is split shotting. It's all we ever did for a long time, and now, I think I've only fished it maybe once in the last 7 years or so. I'll have to keep it in mind for this season.

johnnybassboat
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by johnnybassboat » Sat Jan 10, 2015 8:19 am

Got a couple. I have a StCroix Mojo 7'6" flipping rod paired with a Cabelas Prodigy reel. First time I ever used it I caught a decent fish punching with it and havent used it since. :doh: I also have a Falcon Cara T7 finesse jig rod with a shimano citicaE that I just dont use much. Nice rod just dont throw many small jigs. Should just replace them with something I will use.

Dink Dawg
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Dink Dawg » Sat Jan 10, 2015 9:23 am

Punching. I just don't have the waters that have a vegetation that requires a true punching. My 795 still sees plenty of heavy pitching use though.

uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by uljersey » Sat Jan 10, 2015 10:47 am

a1712 wrote:Jigs and Carolina Rigs, I just throw a worm instead. No one has ever proven to me one is better than the other and I have supreme confidence in a worm. Brian.
The four most important words in this reply =D>

Fish what works for you and what you're comfortable with, not what everyone else is telling you to throw.

Crappielimits
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Crappielimits » Sat Jan 24, 2015 4:20 am

For me it's crank baits and top water. I love to feel them hit a soft plastic.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:45 am

I feel like I go through phases too. I used to almost exclusively fish topwater. I then used spinnerbaits and lipless crankbaits. I then always frog fished no matter what. I then fish weightless plastics/finesse. I try to perfect or at least really use certain baits/techniques until I get good with them or decide its not for me. I will stick through using a technique though, no matter what. I think it has made me a better fisherman.