Help with reel covers

Anything and everything related to fishing tackle. If you cannot find the sub-category for your topic, go ahead and post it in here!
hungry_cow
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Help with reel covers

Post by hungry_cow » Fri Jul 18, 2014 2:55 am

What is a good baitcast reel cover that I can use with the reel on the rod and a bait tied on? The ones I have only work off the rod and it would be nice to have them setup ahead of time and still have the reels protected in the car.

USA-RET
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Help with reel covers

Post by USA-RET » Fri Jul 18, 2014 3:49 am

I use these (only with the Daiwa logo). The fold around part can be stretched over the rod so you can leave the reel mounted.

This style helps protect the handle side better than some other types of covers. At $3.99 I'd give one a try and see if you like it. Only bad part to this type of cover, the reel handle has to be perpendicular to the rod blank for the cover to fit the reel to the rod.

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Okuma_Ne ... OKSRB.html

Bass Pro carries a cheap cover with a sewn loop off the front and for hooking a lure to. No handle protection, but easy to thrown on and not worry about reel handle position.

http://www.basspro.com/Bass-Pro-Shops-R ... uct/74089/

MRQturbo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MRQturbo » Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:14 am

i use the rod glove ones....small size fits my core,ci4 and met no problem...

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/The_Rod_ ... TRGRG.html

hungry_cow
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by hungry_cow » Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:57 am

Also I will be putting them on TD-Z reels

MondayMonkey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by MondayMonkey » Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:38 am

I use the Daiwa CV-S/M/L neoprene covers on all my baitcasters and round reels from pixy to Saltiga 40LD. They offer amazing protection but they aren't the best at allowing you to leave the reel and line rigged. They however look sexy and all my baitcasters are Daiwa so it's nice everything matchesh. You pay a pretty penny for them around $20 imported(they're only available JDM). The basic TW covers work great and are what I used prior. I mainly switched to the Daiwa style to protect the handles.

tacklejunkie2
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by tacklejunkie2 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:30 am

I've used the neoprene covers (Abu Garcia & the Tackle Warehouse) sold at TW for my low profile baitcasters. They work well with the reel mounted on the rod. However, they don't cover the handle. As the earlier post stated, I think the only place you'll find the Daiwa covers is overseas. Every time I attempted to purchase the Daiwa covers, they were always a backorder item.

sydaar
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by sydaar » Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:32 pm

You may also want to try these from Phenix at the TT. Same Daiwa quality without the logo. I have the Daiwa ones previously suggested on my Steez's but have a couple of these on a Zillion and PXR

http://tackletrap.com/index.php?main_pa ... a7b3362e82

Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Teal101 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:15 am

sydaar wrote:You may also want to try these from Phenix at the TT. Same Daiwa quality without the logo. I have the Daiwa ones previously suggested on my Steez's but have a couple of these on a Zillion and PXR

http://tackletrap.com/index.php?main_pa ... a7b3362e82
I have one of these, work just as good as the Daiwa one. I also have a Daiwa one and some TW ones. All work.

OkobojiEagle
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by OkobojiEagle » Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:43 am

Cabela's has a neoprene reel cover that has worked well for me the past two years... the baitcasting model is currently discounted.

oe

jeff h
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jeff h » Sat Jul 26, 2014 1:31 pm

I use the Bass Pro LP covers. I slit them for the line. Do just fine keeping reels from getting beat up in the rod locker.

Von
Angler
Angler

Post by Von » Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:09 am

jeff h wrote:I use the Bass Pro LP covers. I slit them for the line. Do just fine keeping reels from getting beat up in the rod locker.
X2

87tpita
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by 87tpita » Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:07 am

I like the blue shimano covers (fastest to remove and re- cover)... but the bass pro covers are good... you can cut and modify it as needed .. haven't had any issues with fraying of any sort

t-Smalle
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by t-Smalle » Sat Aug 02, 2014 6:27 am

I really the Rod Glove reel covers.

Dave Stratos
Angler
Angler

Post by Dave Stratos » Sun Sep 07, 2014 2:42 am

I'm also a fan of the rod glove covers. Size small fits my Daiwa Alphas, Sols and Pixys well and they are relatively inexpensive.

pharmboy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by pharmboy » Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:16 pm

Blue shimano covers are my fav as well. Fit is snug and easy to place and my reel brand of choice...