Sharpening hooks

Anything and everything related to fishing tackle. If you cannot find the sub-category for your topic, go ahead and post it in here!
uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Sharpening hooks

Post by uljersey » Sat Feb 21, 2015 1:10 am

Who here still does ?

While I can't replicate chemical sharpening, I can get a sticky point on them using an Eze Lap diamond sharpener. I will replace and throw out hooks as needed, but for touch ups on the water (after recovering a bait that was in a log) I have no problem doing it and have confidence in my ability. Just a couple of light passes and they're ready to go.

FrankW
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Sharpening hooks

Post by FrankW » Sat Feb 21, 2015 1:55 am

Hi uljersey,

I still sharpen any hook that gets dull. I just ordered some hooks on line that were not real sharp out of the package. My Ezy Lap solved that problem pretty quick. I have had my Ezy Lap for over twenty years and still doing the job.

Frank

johns
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by johns » Sat Feb 21, 2015 3:24 am

I use that sharpener also. It usually takes more than a couple pass though or I'm waiting to long to resharpen. Takes less on a crankbait hook and more on my ms slammer owner swimbait hooks

jeb
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jeb » Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:52 am

I keep a sharpening stone on the retractable tool holder that my line clippers are on. I'm always touching up hooks.

Ong Jim
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Ong Jim » Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:26 am

I have one of those and use it all the time. I also use that sharpener on my pocket knifes while on the fly.

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:56 am

Yes.

RMCatchNrelease
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by RMCatchNrelease » Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:59 pm

Thanks for the post. I just ordered two of those pen style sharpener for the boat and shore bag.

uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by uljersey » Sun Mar 01, 2015 1:25 am

RMCatchNrelease wrote:Thanks for the post. I just ordered two of those pen style sharpener for the boat and shore bag.
The trick is to take equal passes on opposite sides of the hook point. Practice on junk hooks, you'll figure it out quickly. When you can't lightly drag a hook point across a fingernail without it digging in and stopping dead in it's tracks, you've done it.

barrys
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by barrys » Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:53 am

Small light wire hooks get replaced. Big Jig hooks ,spinnerbaits,swimbait hooks etc I touch up as needed