Sunglasses

Anything and everything related to fishing tackle. If you cannot find the sub-category for your topic, go ahead and post it in here!
Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Re: Sunglasses

Post by Teal101 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:12 am

I have some WileyX Jakes right now with the green lenses. Thinking of trying some Costas with the blue lens for a change up. I like the Wileys a lot, especially with the climate control.

BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:07 am

Thinking I might get another pair of maui jims.
I'm in love with these, this pair will be the HT.

Toadslayer72
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Toadslayer72 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:15 pm

Cracker wrote:
hungry_cow wrote:Maui Jim HT glass lens for low light, Costa 580G amber lens for everything else
Costa makes amber lens only in 580P as far as I know.
What do they consider the base for the green mirror, amber or copper? Are they the same? I seriously don't know and am asking here. I thought I remember reading it was an amber base back before I bought mine.

Cracker
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Cracker » Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:40 pm

Toadslayer72 wrote:
Cracker wrote:
hungry_cow wrote:Maui Jim HT glass lens for low light, Costa 580G amber lens for everything else
Costa makes amber lens only in 580P as far as I know.
What do they consider the base for the green mirror, amber or copper? Are they the same? I seriously don't know and am asking here. I thought I remember reading it was an amber base back before I bought mine.
Depends if it is in 580 or 400 lenses.

400G - amber base (green mirror) or grey (and blue mirror)
580G - copper base (copper, silver mirror, green mirror) or grey (grey, blue mirror)

580P - amber, yellow, grey (and blue mirror), copper (and green mirror, silver mirror)

Toadslayer72
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Toadslayer72 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:50 pm

Ok thanks for the breakdown Cracker. I'm thinking that hungry cow probably meant copper. I can see how one might make that mistake.

Toadslayer72
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Toadslayer72 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:54 pm

Just curious, any of you guys here use both the 400G and 580G? I wouldn't mind hearing a comparison from someone who has used both.

fisherman012
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by fisherman012 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:13 am

Costa 580 g in green mirror lenses have been great for me! I absolutely love them!

Bassmar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bassmar » Wed Apr 01, 2015 2:08 pm

Toadslayer72 wrote:Just curious, any of you guys here use both the 400G and 580G? I wouldn't mind hearing a comparison from someone who has used both.
I have both and have not really noticed much difference between 400G and 580G. I also have two pairs of 580G glasses, one in blue mirror and one in green mirror and there is a marked difference in glare reduction between the two. The blue mirror is far more effective on a bright sunlit day. The green mirrors are better on overcast days as they do not cut out as much light. A pair of each is the way to go. :)

Lafayette
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Lafayette » Wed Apr 01, 2015 7:51 pm

I have had Oakley Hijinx with grey lenses, didn't liked them, poor protection, poor polarization, scratches easily. Gave it to my father.

I have currently Maui Jim Surfrider grey lenses, just another world, far better in my opinion, a little dark maybe in the evening but excellent in very sunny conditions.

I am thinking to buy another Maui jim pair with bronze lenses for cloudy days.

A friend of mine have Costas with 580g lenses, they are just excellent, even if I am not sure Costa del Mar worth the price difference with Maui Jim. Costa del Mar is about 200-300 euros in Europ, Maui Jim about 120-200 euros. Would probably stick with Maui Jim so.

Kaenon sunglasses seems to have very good reputation also, does anyone try it?

BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 3:04 pm

I got to test out both (del mar and Maui)

I like the Maui a lot more myself.

Cracker
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Cracker » Fri Apr 03, 2015 1:52 am

BRONZEBACK32 wrote:I got to test out both (del mar and Maui)

Why you picked MJ?
Based on lens quality over Costa or frames/look?

BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Fri Apr 03, 2015 9:35 am

Cracker wrote:
BRONZEBACK32 wrote:I got to test out both (del mar and Maui)

Why you picked MJ?
Based on lens quality over Costa or frames/look?
Actually both, I love the bronze lens and the frames and fit are excellent.
I have also heard MJ warranty is amazing.

BARRAMANIAC
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BARRAMANIAC » Sun Apr 05, 2015 10:25 am

Spotters and Mako sunnies are my favoured brands. Both are made by fishermen for fishermen.

Nytron
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Nytron » Sun Apr 05, 2015 10:32 am

Costa Tuna Alley 580G Silver Mirror
Costa Cortez 580G Green Mirror

FrankTheRabbit
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by FrankTheRabbit » Fri Apr 10, 2015 1:04 am

I've had a couple of designer sunglasses, until I got tired of them only lasting for two years and forking over $200 each time. I picked up a pair of H2Optix Bajas, which were on sale for $25, normally $50. No frills, basic polarized shades and they were lightweight as well. I wasn't sure what kind of lens or how they were constructed, but for $25, they did the job, took decent care of them, and have had them for 4 years and counting. Perhaps my eyes are a little different, because when my wife wears them, she notices distortion and feels like there's a big hole in the ground. I've worn them for 4 years and had no such experience…weird.

Did some research last year, looking to jump into the higher end category of shades, which led me to Smiths, Mauis, and Costas. I ended up going for a pair of Smiths Spoilers, which I bought off Kijiji for a pretty decent price. They featured interchangeable lens (grey green, clear, and ignitor) and were really comfy and stayed on my face, even when the outdoor temps were hot. I brought them down to Bermuda and it cut so much glare from the blue ocean waters, it was amazing! I was able to see through the water for a loooong distance! Unfortunately, swimming in salt water with the shades, the metal hinges started to corrode. I put them in a bowl of water in the hopes of trying clean the hinges and the next morning, there were "spots" on the lens! It looked like some coating was starting to come off…I was heartbroken! As with many others have mentioned, Smiths customer service stands behind their Lifetime warranty. I sent them in (no receipt) through a Smiths retailer, made contact with a CS agent, and within 7 days, I received a new pair Terrace shades (grey green lens). I've worn them fishing on a lake and also on the rivers, for trout/salmon. They've held up really well (no dips in salt water yet), really light weight, and phenomenal polarization.

Because majority of the fishing I do are on rivers, I decided to try their Techlite Polarchromic lens. Picked up a pair of Touchstone shades, but there hasn't been enough sun for polarchromic lens to work. So, I'm excited to give them a try on the river when the temps are high enough. So far, just wearing them out and about, they feel comfy, although slightly (very minute) heavier than the polycarbonate lens. Perhaps, my eyes are a little different…but I can't discern any clarity difference between the polycarbonate and techlite lens, despite wearing prescription glasses for more than 30 years!

I'm looking forward to spending more time with the three sunglasses and will try to update as I go along.