Carbon Fiber Handle breaking?

Anything and everything related to fishing tackle. If you cannot find the sub-category for your topic, go ahead and post it in here!
Finnz922
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Carbon Fiber Handle breaking?

Post by Finnz922 » Thu Sep 10, 2015 6:55 am

Anyone ever have a carbon fiber handle break on them? I have a Semper Fi handle that basically broke at the post. The layers separated and now it bends while cranking. I bought it used and it worked for most of the summer. It's on my all-purpose heavy rod and creates the weirdest feeling when trying to crank in a fish.

Oh, by the way, I didn't step on it. I'm very careful about moving around on the boat.

TFOUR
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Carbon Fiber Handle breaking?

Post by TFOUR » Fri Sep 11, 2015 5:09 pm

Yes, after a while at least on the ones i've seen they delaminate.

fishingandfords
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by fishingandfords » Sun Sep 13, 2015 11:34 am

I've never had one fail but anything is possible

Drewgill
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Drewgill » Sun Sep 13, 2015 11:02 pm

My friend used to have a bunch of Pinnacles (Optimus models, I think). Those carbon handles would break like twigs. It was kind of unbelievable. I'm assuming they fixed the issue since they're still selling them.

Finnz922
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Finnz922 » Sun Sep 13, 2015 11:10 pm

I was holding my reel and was able to kind of twist the handles at the knob. I scored 2 Semper Fi (silver/platinum finish) 85mm handles at decent prices but after this... :x I need to just suck it up and get the Avail 90mm in light chromium. Looks like it will match the Zillion 50th perfect.

phatbass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by phatbass » Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:59 am

Finnz922 wrote:I was holding my reel and was able to kind of twist the handles at the knob. I scored 2 Semper Fi (silver/platinum finish) 85mm handles at decent prices but after this... :x I need to just suck it up and get the Avail 90mm in light chromium. Looks like it will match the Zillion 50th perfect.
this could be a isolated incident. I also use the semper fi handles and have had no problems, but if something does happen I will be going with the avail aluminum handles to.

Finnz922
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Finnz922 » Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:48 am

phatbass wrote:
Finnz922 wrote:I was holding my reel and was able to kind of twist the handles at the knob. I scored 2 Semper Fi (silver/platinum finish) 85mm handles at decent prices but after this... :x I need to just suck it up and get the Avail 90mm in light chromium. Looks like it will match the Zillion 50th perfect.
this could be a isolated incident. I also use the semper fi handles and have had no problems, but if something does happen I will be going with the avail aluminum handles to.
Probably. I'm definitely not trying to slam Semper Fi. Their customer service was great when I needed posts and screws. Just had incident with one handle.

BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Sat Sep 26, 2015 6:36 am

I hope my hedge hog does not do this...

BigG
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BigG » Sun Sep 27, 2015 2:12 am

Anyone having problems with the Daiwa CF handles?

jkleino
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jkleino » Thu Oct 01, 2015 5:11 am

I've only seen one broke on a buddies Abu. I have to imagine in the production process flaws can cause a few bad apples?

BigG
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BigG » Thu Oct 01, 2015 9:57 am

Seems like if it was a issue with most handles we would already be talking about it on TT.

Finnz922
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Finnz922 » Thu Oct 01, 2015 9:59 am

Yeah, I think it was just a flaw in my handle. My original question was just to find out if anyone has ever had it happen to them. Not trying to start something like the NRX or Tatula threads. :lol:

DammitKhoa
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by DammitKhoa » Wed Oct 28, 2015 5:40 am

TFOUR wrote:Yes, after a while at least on the ones i've seen they delaminate.
Most CF handles are carbon sheets layered over one another. The biggest issue with the ones in the fishing market is that they are layered so that the design of the weave appears on the side of the handle (for aesthetics I assume. Also, maybe it's easier to manufacture too). But when we crank the handle, the torque is applied perpendicular to how these sheets are layered. The quality of the epoxy or adhesive they used is key here, since that's what takes the beating. The best way would be to layer the carbon sheets the way but they sure wouldn't look as pretty

zodiak311
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by zodiak311 » Wed Oct 28, 2015 10:25 am

Finnz922 wrote:Yeah, I think it was just a flaw in my handle. My original question was just to find out if anyone has ever had it happen to them. Not trying to start something like the NRX or Tatula threads. :lol:
:lol: :lol: "Groovy" :lol: :lol:

IlliniDawg01
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by IlliniDawg01 » Wed Oct 28, 2015 11:20 am

phatbass wrote:
I have like 8 semper fi handles. All but one are perfect. One I got from another source and it had one post that was too short due to a manufacturing flaw. Blue loctite fixed that problem. I don't fish enough to really test their long term durability though...

DaveJ