Fish Disney?

Anything and everything related to fishing tackle. If you cannot find the sub-category for your topic, go ahead and post it in here!
NJ Jigman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Fish Disney?

Post by NJ Jigman » Sun Oct 04, 2015 9:41 am

I'm going to Disney later this month and have heard that I could get a guide to take me out on a local lake. Does anyone have experience with this. I'd really like to catch a Florida Strain Bass! Thanks in advance.

mhood
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Fish Disney?

Post by mhood » Sun Oct 04, 2015 10:37 am

I saw lots of bass in the ponds when we were there a few years ago. They seemed to be feeding mostly on french fries the kids were throwing at them. :big grin:

Congoman775
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Congoman775 » Sun Oct 04, 2015 11:36 am

Some HOGS in there. Pretty sure you can hire a guide to fish the lakes...

TFOUR
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by TFOUR » Sun Oct 04, 2015 12:45 pm

You can only fish Disney property as far as I know with one of their guides. From what I have heard it's all catch and release and they have some bruisers. I know one thing it's not cheap.

BigG
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BigG » Sun Oct 04, 2015 9:57 pm

Roland Martin used to do a show on their lakes. He make it look easy. Most fish caught with senko type bait. I would love to fish there.
Last edited by BigG on Sun Oct 25, 2015 1:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

IAY
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by IAY » Mon Oct 05, 2015 12:41 am

It looks like you can fish from the docks for free according to their website. They do guided trips as well on a pontoon boats.

mhood
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mhood » Mon Oct 05, 2015 12:43 am

IIRC, there were bass boats for rent on the larger ponds...right beside the paddle boats.

NJ Jigman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by NJ Jigman » Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:42 am

My wife said I can't pack a flippin stik so i'd have to get a guide, I'll check Disney's site. Senko's and french fries? Hmmmm, Salty, not durable, slow fall, straight and boring looking. Wow, never thought that's were Gary got the idea for the Senko from. Don't get me wrong I love me some Senko's. In the first 5 years of existance I caught 1000's of fish. Since then have caught 100's. The wife won't see me pack the 7in Senko's, I'll make sure of that. :lol:

NJ Jigman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by NJ Jigman » Sat Oct 24, 2015 11:29 pm

I did it:( a 4 hr trip on toho. Being a seasoned angler I thought I could fool some big girls with plastic. Should've went shiner fishing if I wanted a fish of a lifetime. Oh well was a cool experience.

IlliniDawg01
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by IlliniDawg01 » Sun Oct 25, 2015 12:15 am

NJ Jigman wrote:I did it:( a 4 hr trip on toho. Being a seasoned angler I thought I could fool some big girls with plastic. Should've went shiner fishing if I wanted a fish of a lifetime. Oh well was a cool experience.
Did you catch much? What did it run you?

DaveJ

k3fishing
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by k3fishing » Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:21 am

Ok, I'll let you guys in on a little secret. If you fish for bass, and you plan on coming to Florida to go to Disney world. You need to stay at Marriott Grand Vista. This is primarily a time share but you can stay there as a hotel, lots to do for the whole family. I found this fishing dream by accident, my wife's aunt and uncle were staying there and asked us to join them. I brought a few poles and gear to stop along the 2 1/2 hour drive and fish, I didn't have a chance to do that. I was bored the 3rd afternoon I was there and started walking around one of the lakes, I walked across this cool Boardwalk from one side of the lake to the other. When I got to the other side I looked over the edge and the bait was so thick you couldn't see the bottom. I walked over a sat for like 2 min. and that was all it took!!! The bass started busting that bait so hard it was sick, I ran to my car to grab my stuff. When I returned to that spot I was walking along the bank looking back and casting at the boardwalk. Not paying attention to what was on my other side, when I turned my head the other way I almost s**t myself. Just lurking 2-3 feet off of the bank 5 feet from me was 20 to 30, 3 to 6 lb. fish just watching me. I had to do a double take, I caught a handful of these fish and lost one 10 lbs +

k3fishing
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by k3fishing » Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:33 am

Also, toho is not an easy lake to fish unless you are using live bait. Lake Okeechobee is the same way, unless you fish it all the time you probably aren't going to do good. Sounds funny? People think they are going to come to these lakes and just kill them... So not true... The people that do good on these lakes fish all the time, the pro's that come here already have info from other people/locals.

shimanogloomis man
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by shimanogloomis man » Wed Nov 25, 2015 3:45 am

Yes if you stay in Disney you have to take a guided trip through Disney and the lake you will fish is Bay lake . I went years 12 years and it was awesome. From what I can tell you it's extremely expensive like 350 for 2.5 hours if I remember right. But it was worth it, they provide you with shiners and tackle but if I were you bring your own there stuff is nothing great. Also when I went the guide didn't have any lures either so I bought some of my own stuff so I would definaly bring flipping baits and a spinnerbaits. I went back to Disney 2 years ago and called and it still was expensive so I ended going to toho for 300 bucks for 8 hours and it sucked major cold front . But if you have the money it was definaly fun to fish bay lake cause again it dosnt see much pressure at all cause it's not opened to the public

BucketHunter
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BucketHunter » Wed Nov 25, 2015 4:15 am

Along with the point about pros who fish those lakes with great tips and info, the Floridian shows you see, the ones they air, are the good and great days. No one is going to show you the week they spent on a cold front trying to catch moody Florida Strains. Well, one guy does, Scott Martin, but he cops out and brings his kids along to shiner fish for the show LOL!

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Sat Dec 26, 2015 3:56 am

k3fishing wrote:Ok, I'll let you guys in on a little secret. If you fish for bass, and you plan on coming to Florida to go to Disney world. You need to stay at Marriott Grand Vista. This is primarily a time share but you can stay there as a hotel, lots to do for the whole family. I found this fishing dream by accident, my wife's aunt and uncle were staying there and asked us to join them. I brought a few poles and gear to stop along the 2 1/2 hour drive and fish, I didn't have a chance to do that. I was bored the 3rd afternoon I was there and started walking around one of the lakes, I walked across this cool Boardwalk from one side of the lake to the other. When I got to the other side I looked over the edge and the bait was so thick you couldn't see the bottom. I walked over a sat for like 2 min. and that was all it took!!! The bass started busting that bait so hard it was sick, I ran to my car to grab my stuff. When I returned to that spot I was walking along the bank looking back and casting at the boardwalk. Not paying attention to what was on my other side, when I turned my head the other way I almost s**t myself. Just lurking 2-3 feet off of the bank 5 feet from me was 20 to 30, 3 to 6 lb. fish just watching me. I had to do a double take, I caught a handful of these fish and lost one 10 lbs +
That's great to hear! I am going to Orlando soon and plan on doing a little fishing. Any other urban spots like that? In general, are the ponds/lakes home to bass? I'm content with 4-6lb bass. You can PM if you don't want to post on here. Thanks.