Is anyone else anti BFS

Anything and everything related to fishing tackle. If you cannot find the sub-category for your topic, go ahead and post it in here!
MTBF
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Is anyone else anti BFS

Post by MTBF » Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:58 pm

I fish my strength's and every year I try to add another technique or new way to fish a existing technique. I'm anti-trolling but am I anti-BFS? I think not I just don't have any finesse gear in the arsenal really or the need to throw light light baits. My "finesse" gear is a NRX802S with Stella FE1000 12lb braid and various Fluorocarbon leaders 6-10lb.

If I had the extra $$ I would love to chase Crappies in the spring with tiny crank baits and a proper BFS Casting setup. Just not interested enough yet to take the plunge. The more you add to your fishing the more you might realize BFS or just back-up finesse applications may take part in your fishing. In my case a "Spy-Bait" and "Drop-Shot" might be new techniques I utilize this year....not BFS but got to constantly grow as a angler to get better and do better year after year.

MTBF

uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by uljersey » Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:18 am

MTBF wrote:I fish my strength's and every year I try to add another technique or new way to fish a existing technique. I'm anti-trolling but am I anti-BFS? I think not I just don't have any finesse gear in the arsenal really or the need to throw light light baits. My "finesse" gear is a NRX802S with Stella FE1000 12lb braid and various Fluorocarbon leaders 6-10lb.

If I had the extra $$ I would love to chase Crappies in the spring with tiny crank baits and a proper BFS Casting setup. Just not interested enough yet to take the plunge. The more you add to your fishing the more you might realize BFS or just back-up finesse applications may take part in your fishing. In my case a "Spy-Bait" and "Drop-Shot" might be new techniques I utilize this year....not BFS but got to constantly grow as a angler to get better and do better year after year.

MTBF
Why deny yourself the pleasure of chasing slabs and fat 'gills ? Get yourself a 6' 6" or longer UL or L rod, a decent little reel and a bag of these 1 1/2" Charlie Brewer Crappie Grubs. Rigged on a 1/16 oz round jig head, they're as close to foolproof as you can get. Far and away my most productive small plastic bait. The bonus is that the big girls will inhale them also.

SteveSchmelzle
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SteveSchmelzle » Sat Jan 23, 2016 2:06 am

during spring time up here, it is tough to take time to spend on crappies....

once ice-out occurs, we have trout and salmon in full swing, and in tight to shore....no need for off shore angling.....and these fish take your real tackle (no bfs here) and smoke 200' runs in seconds.....

when your bored of that, we have 25lbs channel cats that are ready to chomp down on some cut bait....they are hot in march/april/ and into may.

i see bfs as a way to make "small fish" fishing fun when there aren't any other choices around. (or a way to get big fish to bite in high pressure area's).

however, if I think about it....we do use bfs stuff up here.....it's called ice fishing...and we do it in 10" holes. that's the only time I see a true benefit to bfs fishing up here.

zodiak311
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by zodiak311 » Sat Jan 23, 2016 3:59 am

SteveSchmelzle wrote:during spring time up here, it is tough to take time to spend on crappies....

once ice-out occurs, we have trout and salmon in full swing, and in tight to shore....no need for off shore angling.....and these fish take your real tackle (no bfs here) and smoke 200' runs in seconds.....

when your bored of that, we have 25lbs channel cats that are ready to chomp down on some cut bait....they are hot in march/april/ and into may.

i see bfs as a way to make "small fish" fishing fun when there aren't any other choices around. (or a way to get big fish to bite in high pressure area's).

however, if I think about it....we do use bfs stuff up here.....it's called ice fishing...and we do it in 10" holes. that's the only time I see a true benefit to bfs fishing up here.
I see the jist of this post, but the topic was, if anyone is "anti bait finesse."

I live in an abundant year round fishery on the west coast, but I also enjoy light tackle. Tuna, Mahi, Sharks, Sailfish, Halibut, Salmon, Bass, Trout, Cod, Eels, Lings, Stripers, Catfish, Carp, Crappie , Bluegill, Shad, Minnows, Goldfish, Guppies, the birds and the bees... all exist, but we aren't here to compare fisheries. ;)

I would personally, much rather catch a big Largemouth on light line, then go after bigger game. 8-)

Too bad some consider real tackle as "big" tackle.

One thing that does exist is high pressured fresh water, 4-6lb line is the max you can use, and bass can push 10+ lbs in some of these unique waters (hasn't happened to me yet, max I ever caught on BFS was 9 lbs). So you are absolutely correct, there are times that only light tackle will do.

I see your points. Why can't we all be "pro-catch?"
I am going to go grab my fly rod.

goblue
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by goblue » Sun Jan 24, 2016 9:25 am

One thing that does exist is high pressured fresh water, 4-6lb line is the max you can use, and bass can push 10+ lbs in some of these unique waters (hasn't happened to me yet, max I ever caught on BFS was 9 lbs). So you are absolutely correct, there are times that only light tackle will do.

You mean I shouldn't flip 65 lb braid w/a black and blue sweet beaver at the rock quarry at Diamond Valley Lake? Is that why I'm getting skunked any trip out? Our water clarity out here makes it a totally different ball game. As "unmanly" as it seems, everyone has a 4-6 lb setup out here.

fishingandfords
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by fishingandfords » Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:46 am

legendaryyaj wrote:
Rich Frye wrote:I am always amazed at how many people seem to only target LMB.
Agreed.

I find this thread ridiculous, then again, the OP was the one who had no sympathy for Japan when they were struck with that Tsunami IIRC.

It's another tool in the tool box. Are you anti-flathead screwdriver too? :lol:
Your saying I didn't have sympathy? I'm confused on this one

On a side note I can't Stand flathead screws and I'm not sure why anyone other then the inventer likes them :roll:

Mothercanucker
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Mothercanucker » Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:31 pm

I'm not ANTI BFS....I just use freaking spinning gear...

DavidSA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DavidSA » Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:03 pm

certainly not ani BFS but I think you need to live somewhere with local access to fish that are fun to catch on some rigs or you have to dislike spinning gear.

I only get out on productive lakes maybe 15 days a year and I prefer to go after bass and my equipment reflects the lures I need to catch them in the environment I need to fish.

If I'm fishing a local pond I will at times go light just to make it more interesting.

Pen3
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Pen3 » Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:55 pm

Last time i tried to use 6-8lb shooter flouro on spinning setup... I was done after the first cast. I still have 3 spinning reels, but it won't see water much with the new Presso AGS rod in hands.

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:57 am

Pen3 wrote:Last time i tried to use 6-8lb shooter flouro on spinning setup... I was done after the first cast. I still have 3 spinning reels, but it won't see water much with the new Presso AGS rod in hands.
I have used the 7lb. Shooter on my 2500 size Daiwa spinning reels in a few tournaments when the drop shot bite is especially subtle (postspawn mostly) and I know I need to feel everything and land every fish. This has helped me cash a few checks by putting more fish in the boat when the fishing is especially brutal, but I also wouldn't recommend using Shooter on a spinning reel. It requires a lot of extra attention that most anglers aren't willing to give. I do like the 7lb. Shooter on BFS outfits though.

njbasscat
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by njbasscat » Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:51 am

Pen3 wrote:Last time i tried to use 6-8lb shooter flouro on spinning setup... I was done after the first cast. I still have 3 spinning reels, but it won't see water much with the new Presso AGS rod in hands.
Exactly. There are techniques that I like 8 and 10lb test fluoro. It's much easier to use a casting reel. For 6 lb fluoro, my 2500 Certates work well but 6lb is as high as I go with spinning gear.

ss30378
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ss30378 » Mon Feb 15, 2016 4:52 am

If youve read my past few reviews it obvious I'm very pro bfs. Why? I'm from up north and spend much of my time fishing lake st Clair for smallies where small presentations were needed for a big bite. Spinning gear was the norm because standard casting gear had trouble with it. Now with the advent of all these light spool options I can use only casting gear for all presentations. I fish a lot of small rivers and streams where the water is clear and the natural forage is small. There are no mats to punch and anything over 1/8oz won't get touched. A 5 inch senko will result in zero fish caught. But I've caught 4 lb smallies, 6 lb largemouth and 10lb catfish with my bfs gear and 1/16 oz minnows.

Don't knock until you try it. You can turn slow days into productive ones by swapping to light tackle and have a blast doing it. Plus with light tackle the species variety makes for a lot of fun!

fishingandfords
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by fishingandfords » Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:53 am

Hard to put down the big rods

ss30378
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ss30378 » Mon Feb 15, 2016 12:51 pm

fishingandfords wrote:Hard to put down the big rods
If you're a power fisher and or fish a lot of structure it would be hard. Bfs has its niche and it works well in it. But put me in the middle of guntersville in the summer where it's ridden with weeds and mats and I'll have much more beefed up gear. I love bfs but I'm not bfs only, it's just one of my tools at my disposal.

The big rods do get easier to put down when the bfs feels like a magic wand though. Amazingly light.

SteveSchmelzle
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SteveSchmelzle » Mon Feb 15, 2016 8:40 pm

I can see bfs being useful on the large, featureless southern reservoirs.....or high pressured northern lakes with small fish populations.

Big sticks or sissy sticks, either way, whatever puts fish in your boat!!!